What was the best training you've had and why? - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > What was the best training you've had and why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2011, 03:11 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Thunder Ranch in Texas, and again in Oregon. Clint and Heidi are personal friends now, and Clint is the best no BS teacher on the planet.

Mas Ayoob with LFI I&II for post critical incident survival (courtroom survival and the legal aspects of lethal force).

I have been to Gunsite twice, also...but consider it more of a shooting staycation than the training center it once was. Very dogmatic, and VERY "do t this way or you're wrong" attitude.

Old 08-30-2011, 03:30 PM   #52

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Infantry force on force got the blood going and was valuable but did little to prepare for CCW or home defense where that "killer instinct" could aid in shooting the wrong person.

The training I value the most is the reactive ranges I've shot in WA and OR. Your using your gun, real bullets, and shooting through a movie screen. Different scenarios ranging from home invasion, LE scenarios, and even cowboy hi noon stuff. A bullet tracking system scores your hits and each scenario is recorded with multiple possible outcomes. The outcome you achieve is based on your performance.

The scenario where you see a shadowy figure crouch behind the lazy boy only to pop up and shout "Dad, don't shoot", was the best training I've ever had.

TACK

Old 08-30-2011, 07:40 PM   #53
AOK

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My first class beyond getting my concealed carry license. It was at Steve Fisher's (Current instructor at Magpul Dynamics) Michigan Defensive Firearms Institute class that gave me a quick wakeup call and made me realize how unprepared I was to handle a self defense situation. It was a no-nonsense class that focused on running your gun properly and keeping it up and running through the fight. Since the class opened my eyes I have continued to seek training through classes or one-on-one instruction at minimum of every three months and train daily.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:13 AM   #54

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOK View Post
My first class beyond getting my concealed carry license. It was at Steve Fisher's (Current instructor at Magpul Dynamics) Michigan Defensive Firearms Institute class that gave me a quick wakeup call and made me realize how unprepared I was to handle a self defense situation. It was a no-nonsense class that focused on running your gun properly and keeping it up and running through the fight. Since the class opened my eyes I have continued to seek training through classes or one-on-one instruction at minimum of every three months and train daily.
What part of MI?

The wife, kiddo, and I are coming up there Seot 27th for to visit my Grandmother. First stop will be Angelo's for a coney!

Old 09-08-2011, 02:55 AM   #55
AOK

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaLawman View Post
What part of MI?

The wife, kiddo, and I are coming up there Seot 27th for to visit my Grandmother. First stop will be Angelo's for a coney!
I'm actually on the east side of the state but the class was over in the Battle Creek area, or just under 3 hours west.

Hope you have safe travels. If you like the coney sauce they started selling it in stores recently. Just as good as the real thing!

May I ask what town are you heading to?

Old 09-20-2011, 10:59 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
Police Academy got me prepared, but the training I received in the police department was where it refined. Active shooter scenarios really get your blood pumping and you get to see exactly where theory, training, muscle memory and instincts come together...

Most people will never get this training, but my cousin's went to "front sight" tactical handgun training a while back and they raved about it. From what they told me, it appeared to be in line with my training and what my brother in law has said about Army training.

I am going to Front Sight next month for the four day defensive handgun training and I can't wait. I'll post about it when I come back.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:56 PM   #57
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1464 Times on 771 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Default The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

It's interesting that all of these posts pretty much say the same thing: It was the basics, when learned properly and built upon, that were the most important. Shooting basics, as is true in any skill, builds the base upon which every other more advance skill is built upon. Therefore, if the basics are not strong, no other skill you try to learn will be strong either! I find whenever a person has a long-term shooting problem, it is always rooted in poorly-learned basics.

Also, I think I can honestly say that the worst form of training that anyone can ever be exposed to is anything produced in Hollywood meant for television or the Silver Screen. If I have to un-train another mid-western white guy to not fire his two chrome-plated .45's simultaneously sideways all "gangsta style," I'm gonna go crazy and stuff a script sideways up a screenwriter!!!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 09-21-2011, 01:31 PM   #58

Liked 2610 Times on 1483 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Unfortunately, Hollywood glamorizes many bad habits and

gun myths.

Too bad most of us see many more hours of movies than

any proper training we receive.

IMO, once you've had the training course,

the most important "training" is practicing the

proper techniques till they're ingrained habits

or muscle memory responses.

Old 09-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #59

Liked 212 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 51

My best training is not training from another person but just free reign on 28 private country acres with big hills,get to do lots of trial and error,shoot as fast or slow as I want and to move around,even run and cover behind trees and shoot targets,I reilize that some of that perfect stance training may be helpful in some situations,but to learn how to take cover and shoot one handed on uneven terrain has to have some benefit.
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 09-24-2011, 06:03 PM   #60

Liked 118 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I don't know if I have had a "Best Training" - - - they seem to build upon one another if you are really interested in learning.

I feel I learn with each course I take and I also learn as I teach - - - different students will cause a switch to go off in your head and you will remember something you had been taught but just filed away.

Hopefully you will learn more each day!