What was the best training you've had and why? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > What was the best training you've had and why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2010, 02:14 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2015 Times on 1110 Posts
Likes Given: 1346

Playstation! Just kidding. The Army tought me proper sight picture, breath control, use of support (sandbags etc) and to squeez instead of pull. That was 20 plus years ago. I though I knew it all. When I took my handgun class to get my ccw I thought it would be a waste of time. I was wrong. The first thing I learned there was that these guys were far better than I thought. I took a class from Action Pistol Group. We spent 2 days in the classroom. Then a full day in the indoor range. We had to fire weak hand as well as strong and two handed. We shot from behind baracades. Whe shot from a kneeling position. We shot in the dark at a sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 paper. It was pitch black. A couple of guys had flashlights that they would flash across the range. I was to simulate a car driving by and flashing their lights in your window. You had to find your target and fire 5. Reload, and fire 5 more. We practiced double and tripple tap. We each had our own instructor that stood behind us and watched our posture and form. I was surprized to find that when I was shooting strong hand from a baracade I was exposing my leg to fire from the enemy. I probably would not have noticed and corrected this had he not pointed it out. I went into the class with 250 rounds of ammuntion. I left with a full 12 round magazine.

I forgot to mention they also had a person run at you from the side at a distance of 21 feet. They had a rubber knife. You had to shoot the target in front of you twice before the guy with the knife got to you. That was when I relized how important point shooting is. Incase anyone is wondering, that is simply not using your sights at close range. I saw several people try to bring their pistol up to get a sight picture. It did not work out so well for them.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Last edited by Rick1967; 03-14-2010 at 02:21 PM. Reason: knife training

Old 03-14-2010, 04:27 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Playstation! Just kidding. The Army tought me proper sight picture, breath control, use of support (sandbags etc) and to squeez instead of pull. That was 20 plus years ago. I though I knew it all. When I took my handgun class to get my ccw I thought it would be a waste of time. I was wrong. The first thing I learned there was that these guys were far better than I thought. I took a class from Action Pistol Group. We spent 2 days in the classroom. Then a full day in the indoor range. We had to fire weak hand as well as strong and two handed. We shot from behind baracades. Whe shot from a kneeling position. We shot in the dark at a sheet of 8 1/2 x 11 paper. It was pitch black. A couple of guys had flashlights that they would flash across the range. I was to simulate a car driving by and flashing their lights in your window. You had to find your target and fire 5. Reload, and fire 5 more. We practiced double and tripple tap. We each had our own instructor that stood behind us and watched our posture and form. I was surprized to find that when I was shooting strong hand from a baracade I was exposing my leg to fire from the enemy. I probably would not have noticed and corrected this had he not pointed it out. I went into the class with 250 rounds of ammuntion. I left with a full 12 round magazine.

I forgot to mention they also had a person run at you from the side at a distance of 21 feet. They had a rubber knife. You had to shoot the target in front of you twice before the guy with the knife got to you. That was when I relized how important point shooting is. Incase anyone is wondering, that is simply not using your sights at close range. I saw several people try to bring their pistol up to get a sight picture. It did not work out so well for them.
That sounds like some awesome training that is what Im looking for in my area. I've practiced the point shoot method at the range but not with a guy running at me with a knife I think that would make it a little more challenging and get the adrenaline pumping.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:05 AM   #33

Having shot most of my life,I thought I could shoot pretty well. I was invited to attend an Appleseed and see how I could do. I learned so much, I had to return to see the results of the training I got. An Appleseed is shot, standing offhand, sitting, and in the prone position. As a twist, its scored, and timed, to add to the challange. The targets are scaled to simulate 20in silouette targets at 100- 400 yds. I saw the improvement in each AQT, as the instructors watched and corrected the steps to firing the shot.

Old 07-17-2010, 03:07 AM   #34

for me.... this link says it all

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/no-such-thing-too-safe-not-squeamish-29396/

In God We Trust...all others must pay cash.

“ A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. "

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/no-such-thing-too-safe-not-squeamish-29396/

Old 07-18-2010, 04:28 AM   #35

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

John Farnam for 5 days at Executive Security International in Aspen, Co. in June of 1991. Live fire security details, shooting from vehicles and various other shooting scenarios outside the realm of the norm.

"Tolerance is the Virtue of a man without Convictions" G. K. Chesterton

ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Considering the fact that the victim is the first one at the scene of a violent crime, I believe all law abiding citizens should be armed.

"Fast is fine, Accurate is final." - Wyatt Earp

Old 07-18-2010, 05:46 AM   #36

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Learned all I needed to know from my Father. Then added to it in the Air Force.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:33 PM   #37

Military training set a great foundation and then continued training with SWAT and LE which dialed it!

No matter what.......firearms is a perishable skill, keep training!

jpaletta@stonecobratactical.com

"Train like your life depends on it"

Old 08-21-2010, 02:02 AM   #38

USMC Boot camp to Pickle Meadows CA. USMC Mountain Warfare Training.
Excellent training!

Last edited by Search13; 08-21-2010 at 02:04 AM.

Old 08-21-2010, 03:05 AM   #39

Likes Given: 2

About 7 years ago, we had a secruity class taught to us by private contractors, (several were former marine recon). Taught us a little bit of everything and gave us more range time in 2 weeks than I have had in my navy carreer combined. Been shooting most my life but they helped me tighten up, taught us the basics of room clearing, moving to and from cover, and night fighting. A couple of us asked what kinda quals or credentials they required to work at their firm, and there only answer was: "If you are subs you are never gonna have the experience necessary." One of the other guys later explained that actually being in combat was pretty much the first on the checklist for job candidates. Still the best training I have ever received.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:20 AM   #40

Default Best Training

It all depends on your objective. If you want to win a competition, then concentrate on accuracy in terms of MOA and such. If you want to be a sniper, then you need to focus on stealth and firing at long range with miraculous accuracy. If your objective is self defense, then the focus is quite different. That's why the military generally teaches aiming at "center mass". If you hit an attacker in the forearm or the ankle, you'll generally dissuade him from continuing to harass you. You don't need need to hit most bad guys between the eyes to make them "mission abort".

I have taught marksmanship from US Army Basic Training to NEW Iraqi Army entry training at Kir Kush. Good performance doesn't require catastrophic effects on target... it just requires winning.

One of the things that is often overlooked is that in a hostile situation the bad guys are smart. They are careful. They aren't just drug ridden nuts waiting for you to shoot them. Staionary targets don't replicate a smart, aggressive enemy very well. It is generally wise to assume that your opponent is smart. They limit their exposure to the two or three seconds we teach our own. They suppress YOU just as you suppress THEM. They SHOOT BACK.

When it comes to marksmanship in a hostile environment, I'll trade a hit on the "outer ring" of the enemy torso for not getting hit myself... ANY DAY.

I taught Army Aviators using MILES back in the 80's. Cobra drivers in Vietnam had learned that firing from altitude made them pretty much immune to ground fire, so they engaged targets with impunity from altitude freely. Our exercises included Stinger Missile simulation and lots of young stud Cobra jocks were angry that they were "killed" when doing as they had been trained. No one ever told them that their enemy was as smart as they were.

The National Training Center at Fort Irwin spends billions of dollars training troops to maneuver and fire againt an innovative enemy that is firing, hiding and manuevering against THEM. Marksmanaship skills are wonderful... but there is a lot more to shooting inside a circle... when the circle is firing BACK.