What was the best training you've had and why?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > What was the best training you've had and why?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default What was the best training you've had and why?

I have taken several coarses in tatics with a pistol and I have to say the best instruction and training I have had so far has been with Bank Miller. He covered everything from snap shooting, nite shooting, shooting while on the move, including backing away, laying on your side, etc, etc. I was one whiped puppy when I was finished. I have trained with several others and they were very well also and added to feeding my real weapon (my brain). I was just wondering what others favorite trainer/school has been and why? I apologize if this topic has be talked to death already and it is locked by the admins.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-25-2010, 09:45 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Standards in Weapons Training (Special Operations Forces)

Well, it was free, I got paid and it was my career, but is was physically challenging and demanding, very disciplined and the training and skills last for a lifetime, especially if one continues with the handgun, small arms and rifle training portions of it, after the military.

Oh....and the targets have changed from organic in nature to inorganic.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 01-25-2010, 10:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
Standards in Weapons Training (Special Operations Forces)

Well, it was free, I got paid and it was my career, but is was physically challenging and demanding, very disciplined and the training and skills last for a lifetime, especially if one continues with the handgun, small arms and rifle training portions of it, after the military.

Oh....and the targets have changed from organic in nature to inorganic.

Jack
Ummmm.......yeah I guess I should have seen that one comming But at least I got to sleep in!

Old 01-26-2010, 12:41 AM   #4

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

For the most part I do not like group training. The reason being that you can only advance as fast as the slowest in class or leave folks behind. I also dislike that you can be doing something wrong for a while before an instructor can get to you and correct it. That is how bad habits begin. It's not a bad way to learn, it's just not optimal.

I also like learning first hand from folks who earned the T-shirt themselves, not their disciples. I have been fortunate in that my best training has been one-on-one with folks who are actively cleaning up the world for the good guys.

That being said there are a few great guys out there like George Wehby and Clint Smith that have a great way of communicating knowledge.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:10 AM   #5

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Police Academy got me prepared, but the training I received in the police department was where it refined. Active shooter scenarios really get your blood pumping and you get to see exactly where theory, training, muscle memory and instincts come together...

Most people will never get this training, but my cousin's went to "front sight" tactical handgun training a while back and they raved about it. From what they told me, it appeared to be in line with my training and what my brother in law has said about Army training.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 01-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Boot camp, USMC. I learned more about myself and my own abilities both physical and mental in those 13 weeks then I did in the rest of my life.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

AIKIJUTSU Likes This 
Old 01-26-2010, 11:05 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Combat. Training is one thing, actually putting your skills to the test when it counts is another.

"When in doubt [use] C4." -Jamie Hyneman (Mythbusters)

JimRau Likes This 
Old 01-26-2010, 11:21 PM   #8

Liked 496 Times on 305 Posts
Likes Given: 1624

I have to say military training as well

Sent by my homing pigeon that suffers from severe social anxiety.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yea, um, Darin...that's in the Double Secret Bunker. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Hookers and optics, cheap is usually a warning.

www.loryno.com

Old 01-26-2010, 11:39 PM   #9

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Submarine Qualifications; The training you must pass on every boat you ride. Designated with a (SS) after your rank, and the right to wear the Dolphins on your chest.

A good 'sub driver' (Captain) will pin them on you up-side-down at your "Qual Ceremony". The true way to earn them right-side-up is to attend the second "Qual Ceremony" on the beach.

Ask me about that ceremony sometime!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-27-2010, 12:33 AM   #10

you can laugh if you want but i got very good training from my high school JROTC rifle team coach. yeah we were only using high power competition style pellet rifles but he taught us military shooting techniques in standing kneeling and prone tactical breathing etc. he was also one of the shooting instructors at ft benning at the same time. col england was his name we had some really good rotc instructors SFC Ramos and col wade i learned alot from all of them. we used to do drill with demilitarized m1 garands they had like the firing pin remove and bolt welded shut i didn't even really know what i was holding back then as far as history of the garand and such and how much i'd like to have a working one of those puppies now i learned cpr life saving skills, orienteering and navigating skills and how to rappel and do rope bridges and how to tie and use a swiss seat i miss those days makes me wonder why ive never joined the armed forces i was a military brat and ate slept and breathed everything military in high school