Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > What is accuracy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2013, 02:25 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1749 Times on 904 Posts
Likes Given: 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
For crying out loud! Stop dismissing information because someone might make money of it. What do you do to "part" people of their hard earned money? Does that mean we get to ignore everything you do or say that you get paid for?

Ridiculous. I am so sick of that crap.
now now, be a good Mod and keep your head about you

Old 12-22-2013, 06:02 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1378 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 472

Quote:
For crying out loud! Stop dismissing information because someone might make money of it. What do you do to "part" people of their hard earned money? Does that mean we get to ignore everything you do or say that you get paid for?

Right here in this forum people dismiss things I have said or call BS on it. Yet I have used these techniques to finish large jobs or to eliminate complaints from customers. I pay them little mind at all. All I can do is dispense what I know to be true. If people are close minded I can not fix that. Professional instructors should expect a lot more criticism than the average person and have plausible answers to any criticism that comes their way. If you don't like what they have to say you don't have to spend a dime at their business.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 12-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1764 Times on 987 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:

Well, I was originally dismissing it because it was terrible information, but that didn't seem to go over well. When I saw an easy way out, I took it. I certainly didn't mean to upset you.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:18 PM   #24
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19817 Times on 11251 Posts
Likes Given: 49935

sometimes a person can be their own worst enemy when they post nonsense they fail to support with any proof or facts. then they get all butthurt if someone calls them on it and asks for proof or facts to back up those statements. credibility is usually lost in this case.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #25

Liked 1959 Times on 1163 Posts
Likes Given: 422

I can also see from an instructors standpoint where this may apply when teaching new shooters.

A brand new shooter should have realistic expectations and goals. As they progress, of course their goals should be increasing in difficulty or in precision, or precision within a time frame.

If I run a new drill on multiple targets I may do it in a couple different phases, one for precision regardless of time, followed by decreasing my time and trying to maintain precision. Other folks may go for time, and work on increasing precision. Hits anywhere on a silhouette may be a good starting point if that is the method being used.

I started out shooting as a precision exercise, doing riffite rifle and pistol, bullseye shooting, so precision is the natural starting place for ME. I have friends whose first shooting exposure was in multi-gun practical matches, where fast hits were their first goal.

I do think having goals is important and mediocrity is not something to strive for ultimately. But short term, mid term and long term goals should be a part of that.

Not everyone will have the same long term goal. Some folks will want to be able to keep hits inside a 10" circle at 200 yds is what a hunter wants. A police sharp shooter may be only able to accept a standard of 2" or less at the same distance.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:47 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1378 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 472

If all of your practice is bracing up and shooting a 2" group you are not preparing for a self defense situation. Most of your practice should involve walking and shooting. If you can keep every shot inside the nine ring you are doing good. After all if someone is shooting at you very few have the composure to brace up and shoot back. I might brace up if I am behind something substantial, otherwise I am going to be on the move. Most of us here are going to do the same thing.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-03-2014, 04:58 AM   #27

Liked 62 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Default Yeah, it depends...

The speaker in the video has a good point. I have to agree with whoever said he was making it too complicated. And he was passing over some of the concept.

Accuracy is a standard applicable primarily to a specific problem, and secondarily to a weapon or shooter.

F'rinstance, the ability to defend against a human attacker requires a hit within about a six inch circle, generally centered high on the chest. At three feet, the problem is smaller in that a greater mis-alignment in aim is allowed than at twelve feet (or 300 yards). The requirement to score well is also defined by accuracy, be it precision rifle, pistol or shotgun. Also the exact shooting 'game' must be considered; International Rapid Fire has different requirements than Free Pistol.

It can be applied to a firearm. "This" pistol (this particular example, not the model) will not mechanically fire with sufficient precision to meet the requirements of [enter specific discipline here]. An example of this is a 'as issued' Government pistol, either the old M1911A1 or the M9. Neither pistol were match grade Bullseye pistols as issued, but after 'accurizing', either will shoot amazingly small groups with a trained marksman. However, as issued, the accuracy is suitable for self-defense use.

As an advancing shooter - and all of us desire to 'advance', do we not? - one expects a certain level of competence in marksmanship after 'X' hours of instruction and practice, and a higher level after twice that long.

The video was demonstrating 'eight ring' accuracy (on the Prehl or B27 target) is sufficient for self-defense. The accuracy level is either there or not; but an X-ring hit is not 'greater' than an eight-ring hit.

I'll disagree with one of the posters on this thread. When shots are being fired at one, the standard of accuracy is not stricter; the same 'shot in the 8 ring' will suffice. However, it will be more difficult to keep a clear head and make the shot.

Finally back in the United States!
OIIOHH
See my blog at:
http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 01-03-2014, 12:59 PM   #28
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1711 Times on 933 Posts
Likes Given: 545

My wife and I shoot at 2" spinner targets at 30 yards with our red dot equipped 22 lr carbines mostly from a standing position. It is fun and good practice. You can move around and take other positions but no bench or artificial support. We will sometimes try it with our 22lr target pistols. The carbines are a lot easier. I dont like steel any closer than 25 to 30 yards even though they are spinners and we are only using 22lr.
Shooting a 7 yards rapid fire with a pistol my goal is to keep the group within 5" and centered. I can do this better with a 9mm in a light (28 oz or less) carry gun. Heavier calibers slow me down too much. I can do it with a heavier gun in a larger caliber but those tend to get left at home.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 01-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1749 Times on 904 Posts
Likes Given: 346

accuracy = venison meatballs and ziti!

People Like This 
Old 01-03-2014, 03:54 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1593 Times on 946 Posts
Likes Given: 787

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
accuracy = venison meatballs and ziti!
Not to mention, back straps, tender loins, steaks, and roasts!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

People Like This