What is accuracy? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety >

What is accuracy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 03:13 PM   #11
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3475 Times on 1991 Posts
Likes Given: 1525

No argument.
I agree that we should strive to get things perfect, but that may not be achieved in one or two range sessions.

I've seen people try to teach firearms to someone else, and because the student did not perform, the student quit because they could not meet the teacher's standard.

In competition (IDPA or IPSC), if one hits the "center of mass" all the time, then it is said that they are shooting too slow. But at the same time, if bullets are all over the target, then they are shooting too fast. There has to be a balance determined to establish a level of competency and improvement.

If that means that my spouse can group 10" at 75 feet every time, I will not say she is doing bad, but there is room for improvement. That is better than most who go out and shoot 50 rounds and don't look to improve, and lament that they do not have more rounds to hear the gun go "bang".

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 12-21-2013, 04:01 PM   #12
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2880 Times on 1581 Posts
Likes Given: 810

I want a firearm to be as accurate as possible to compensate for my inaccuracy. I can not consistently duplicate in the field what I can do on the bench. If the firearm is 3 moa and I am 3 moa, we could have a clean miss at 300 yards.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:06 PM   #13

Liked 2485 Times on 1458 Posts
Likes Given: 569

I think some are reading too much into this. It's not about lowering expectation in shooting exactly.

I would say you need to have an accuracy goal on mind and see if you meet that goal. A 5" group
Out if a pistol caliber carbine at 100 yds may be all that someone " needs" because that represents the outside edge of the distance they plan to shoot as well as accounting for the power level of the cartridge, and cost if gaining more precision.

Military sets accuracy requirements for mass produced weapons and ammo at one level, and another standard for specialized weapons and ammo, such as designated marksman rifles, sniper rifles, and ammo. They don't need every infantry rifle and round to meet a 1 MOA standard to take a combatant out of a fight at typical fighting distances. But when using scoped rifles to more precisely engage specific threats, the standards are higher.

A snub nosed revolver or pocket auto for pocket carry to be used inside of 15 yds does not have the same accuracy requirements as a bullseye pistol that is used to hit bullseyes at 50 yds. To get the standard of hits in the "9 ring" on a full size silhouette with a pocket gun under pressure at 10 yds mag still require someone to push themselves in a controlled circumstance with a pocket gun and defensive ammo.

Also, when considering speed, vs. precision, there can be room for some compromise in precision. Is it more important to get 1, 2, or three torso hits quickly, or to take too much time trying to hit a button on a shirt and take hits yourself?

So there are appropriate times to set "acceptable accuracy standards" that don't equate to lowering a persons performance standards.
I think that was the central point the video was trying to make. I wouldn't expect someone in a rifle match on the 600 yd line, to think that 5" 100 yd hits at going to get good results at 600 yds.
People Like This 
Old 12-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #14
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
By expanding your goal target area to meet your ability, you are doing the same thing we are doing to our school kids. We are reducing expectations in order to maintain a warm fuzzy feeling. "I'm happy if all my shots go on the black." is accepting failure.
at no point should anyone accept failure, but realistically it happens. we should use failure to improve our methods and our performance.

placing shots where you intend for them to be is being accurate. not everyone can acheive the same level for many reasons.

personally, when i shoot a pistol at 10-15 yards, a 2-3" group is my measure of accuracy. anything beyond 4-5" groups at the same distance are unacceptable to me, and means i need to improve in some way. either my methods or my equipment.

Old 12-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
I think some are reading too much into this. It's not about lowering expectation in shooting exactly.

I would say you need to have an accuracy goal on mind and see if you meet that goal. A 5" group
Out if a pistol caliber carbine at 100 yds may be all that someone " needs" because that represents the outside edge of the distance they plan to shoot as well as accounting for the power level of the cartridge, and cost if gaining more precision.

Military sets accuracy requirements for mass produced weapons and ammo at one level, and another standard for specialized weapons and ammo, such as designated marksman rifles, sniper rifles, and ammo. They don't need every infantry rifle and round to meet a 1 MOA standard to take a combatant out of a fight at typical fighting distances. But when using scoped rifles to more precisely engage specific threats, the standards are higher.

A snub nosed revolver or pocket auto for pocket carry to be used inside of 15 yds does not have the same accuracy requirements as a bullseye pistol that is used to hit bullseyes at 50 yds. To get the standard of hits in the "9 ring" on a full size silhouette with a pocket gun under pressure at 10 yds mag still require someone to push themselves in a controlled circumstance with a pocket gun and defensive ammo.

Also, when considering speed, vs. precision, there can be room for some compromise in precision. Is it more important to get 1, 2, or three torso hits quickly, or to take too much time trying to hit a button on a shirt and take hits yourself?

So there are appropriate times to set "acceptable accuracy standards" that don't equate to lowering a persons performance standards.
I think that was the central point the video was trying to make. I wouldn't expect someone in a rifle match on the 600 yd line, to think that 5" 100 yd hits at going to get good results at 600 yds.
My response to the video and the suggestions made in it are based on the fact that it was put out by The Personal Defense Network. From their name I am guessing they are in the business of training you for a potential life or death response. This is why I have a problem with the advice offered in the video. Going into it with an attitude that accepts 'good enough' just seems counterproductive.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #16
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3475 Times on 1991 Posts
Likes Given: 1525

Remember, the PDN is really no different than any other commercial entity.

The mission is to part you and your hard earned money. A couple of "teasers" on youtube and people want to attend.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post

The mission is to part you and your hard earned money. A couple of "teasers" on youtube and people want to attend.
Good point. Very good.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
at no point should anyone accept failure, but realistically it happens. we should use failure to improve our methods and our performance.

placing shots where you intend for them to be is being accurate. not everyone can acheive the same level for many reasons.

personally, when i shoot a pistol at 10-15 yards, a 2-3" group is my measure of accuracy. anything beyond 4-5" groups at the same distance are unacceptable to me, and means i need to improve in some way. either my methods or my equipment.
With that 2-3 inch group I'm going to assume they are also pretty close to where you want them. If that's so, that's pretty good shooting for a handgun, and you should be pleased with that. If that 2-3 inch group was up near the shoulder on a standard B27 target I'm betting you wouldn't be as pleased unless that was your point of aim.

Taking this guys acceptable limits, you could hit the 9 ring line top, bottom, and both sides, and call it accurate shooting. I doubt either one of us would be pleased with that at all. A few days of hitting like that and I would be down at the LGS looking for a new sidearm and some snap caps to fit it.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #19

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

IMO, simply put, it's a personal standard for how you shoot, VS

how well you want to shoot.

I also find my accuracy with certain firearms to be

acceptable, and others, less than acceptable.
People Like This 
Old 12-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #20
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
Good point. Very good.
For crying out loud! Stop dismissing information because someone might make money of it. What do you do to "part" people of their hard earned money? Does that mean we get to ignore everything you do or say that you get paid for?

Ridiculous. I am so sick of that crap.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA