Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   What is accuracy? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/what-accuracy-101668/)

ScottA 12-16-2013 09:15 PM

What is accuracy?

Well worth considering...

danf_fl 12-16-2013 10:26 PM

Thanks ScottA, very informative!

Too many stress the "X" or Bull's-eye.

If a person can get a small spread, that's great, but if a "8" ring hit is the best one can do, then, yeah, that's great too!

Not everyone will get to be a ace shot. Know your expectations for each range session and strive for it. A golfer does not start out making par the first time, but they strive for it each time they go out. They set goals and work towards it.

I remember the first time my golf score was the same as my age. It was one of the happiest days of golfing ever. And that was on the first 9 holes. The next goal I had was to shoot my age on the 2nd nine.

SSGN_Doc 12-16-2013 10:46 PM

I often ask folks looking for an "accurate gun" what job they need the gun to be able to do, and what level of accuracy they need. I have used the target match vs hunting accuracy illustration before for those purposes.

AK vs AR arguments, Glock vs 1911, revolver vs autoloader, bolt gun vs lever gun. This info on what the desired accuracy is, becomes very important when trying to make recommendations or when asking for recommendations.

Thanks for sharing the video.

JimRau 12-17-2013 09:34 PM

Well I guess that was ok, but WAY over complicated.:confused:
Accuracy is placing the shot where you intended to place it, period!
As you said you need to decide 'where' you want to place it and then decide if it is accurate or not but remember:
"Aim big, miss big. Aim small, miss small.";)

mopowerbmx 12-17-2013 09:41 PM

If I can hit a pie plate at 100 yards I'm happy.

chloeshooter 12-17-2013 10:44 PM

And then there's the accuracy you get when bullets are coming back at you. A completely different story no matter how cool your gun us or how well you shoot at the range

Garadex 12-21-2013 07:57 AM

For me it would take a lot of practice and learning to be able to get a 1" group at 100 Yards however I don't care to dedicate that much time to it so 5" groups will do for me.

Doc3402 12-21-2013 08:40 AM

By expanding your goal target area to meet your ability, you are doing the same thing we are doing to our school kids. We are reducing expectations in order to maintain a warm fuzzy feeling. "I'm happy if all my shots go on the black." is accepting failure.

danf_fl 12-21-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc3402 (Post 1463769)
By expanding your goal target area to meet your ability, you are doing the same thing we are doing to our school kids. We are reducing expectations in order to maintain a warm fuzzy feeling. "I'm happy if all my shots go on the black." is accepting failure.

Getting all shots in the black is acceptable as a "stepping stone". Nobody can pick up a firearm and expect to hit the "X" every time.

A good supervisor will not expect the same from each employee, but expect each employee to do their best. So should it be with shooters.

Doc3402 12-21-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1463791)
Getting all shots in the black is acceptable as a "stepping stone". Nobody can pick up a firearm and expect to hit the "X" every time.

A good supervisor will not expect the same from each employee, but expect each employee to do their best. So should it be with shooters.

"Once you set your level of precision, fire your shot and ask yourself, accuracy yes, or accuracy no."

Following that logic some of the less ambitious shooters could stand inside a closed barn and be thrilled that they hit something with their shot. They succeeded, even though their goal is set incredibly low.

Part of my problem with this theory, and I fully admit this is my problem, is that there is always the potential for someone else to be affected by a shooter that settles for less than the best. To go back to my statement about the school kids, how many students will be hindered later in life if the school board lowers the pass fail standard in the first five grades?

People around here tend to stress the bad side of over-penetration, yet nobody seems to mind the fact that you will miss. If you fire four shots, statistically you will miss with at least one, and probably two of them. By settling for less than tight center chest groups in practice, you are increasing the chance for misses in a self defense situation later on.

I feel the key is to have adequate classroom prep on the fundamentals of shooting. Safety, sight picture, breathing, trigger control, stance, and grip should all be covered. When you finally get out to the range, start close and slow fire. Strive for perfection instead of accepting a certain degree of failure.

Quote:

If you were a chief of surgery, would you want all of your doctors to do their best, or would you want them to do it right? Dan, I don't want to argue this because I certainly see your point. I can also see where this can probably be a big confidence booster to the self-taught shooter. I just can't imagine an outfit calling themselves the Personal Defense Network essentially telling you that second best is good enough.