Weight of suppressor affecting muscle memory and reflexes?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Weight of suppressor affecting muscle memory and reflexes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 01:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Weight of suppressor affecting muscle memory and reflexes?

I have been wanting to buy a suppressor for my 9mm pistol (my only pistol, for everything from CC, HD, etc). I enjoy practical shooting drills, draw-and-fire drills, etc. However, I recently became concerned with the weight of the suppressor negatively affecting my ability to shoot WITHOUT the suppressor (CC encounters). For example, if my mind gets used to having to apply X amount of muscle force for Y amount of time to bring the gun up from rest, or between multiple targets, with the suppressor on (an extra 8-16oz), would my reflexes be off when I take off the suppressor? I don't want to shoot 3' over a mugger's head because I was used to lifting the extra weight of the suppressor and overshot the movement.

Does anyone have experience with this? I really want to be able to do all of my practicing suppressed because I find the muzzle blast and pressure wave slightly uncomfortable and distracting, but will it throw off my aim when I take off the suppressor to CC the pistol?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-26-2009, 11:31 AM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

I encourage you to practice without the suppressor. Train as you fight. You need to be used to be muzzle blast and such so it doesn't become a surprise to you if you do ever have to defend yourself. Use regular hearing protection at the range so you don't go deaf from shooting. The weight of the gun can make a difference for you in the draw, but very much since you are only talking 16 oz or less.

However, if you feel you need the suppressor and practice with your gun is really uncomfortable without one, then go ahead and get one.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:20 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

How do you plan to practice drawing from a holster with a suppressor adding that extra length?

Also, most supressors, because of their diameter, obstruct the sights on most handguns. What's your fix for that?

Old 10-26-2009, 01:31 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Most of my close-range shooting is point shooting, however I have designed an offset-bore suppressor to allow use of the sights. I wouldn't actually practice drawing from a holster with the suppressor on, just starting from a resting position (if not with the gun on the bench like in some practical shooting competitions).

SGT, I know you are exactly right. Frankly, I was hoping that in a real live fire situation I'd be so amped up that I wouldn't even notice the blast or pressure wave, you know?

Would shooting with both the suppressor mounted and unmounted allow me to develop a natural feel for the pistol both ways?

I don't know. I just fworry that training with a suppressor on the same pistol I also intend to use for SD without the suppressor, would be like having a 2lb sword and covering it with an additional 1lb rubber sheath for practice. I'd imagine the precision with which one could wield the original 2lb sword would go out the window, after getting used to the 3lb mass (not to mention the softening of blows, as essentially the suppressor would do to both recoil and muzzle blast).

Old 10-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #5

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

I do not know anyone personally, that I associate with or shoot with, to carry a suppressed handgun as a CC/PD weapon. I do know shooters who use suppressors on 9mm and 22lr pistols for noise reduction and they do use sub-sonic ammo to lessen the sound and get better target accuracy at the range, but you still hear the muffled crack.

Suppressors will give you less muzzle blast and and less recoil and the additional length in barrel does help stabilize the guns aim and accuracy, same is especially true, if used on a rifle.

That said, usually "operators" carry both the handgun and suppressor in two pieces and adjoin the two when they are needed.

If you are point shooting and practicing at close range targets as stated, 5-10 yards, proficiency with and without the suppressor should not matter. The one time you may need to drawl your handgun and use it in a real self defense situation, the sound and muzzle blast will be buried under your adrenaline dump and your muscle memory will still maintain grip and trigger follow through reaction.

IMO, loose the suppressor idea for personal carry, use it only at the range or in a scan and point, HD situation.

Practice will be needed using your handgun both ways, for learned memory proficiency.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-26-2009, 03:25 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Sorry if I was unclear. I meant I would be using the same pistol for both suppressed practice and suppressed HD, as well as unsuppressed concealed carry.

But you don't think the extra weight and inertia will affect my aim, as long as I am using the same grip and sights and trigger pull?

Old 10-26-2009, 03:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
Sorry if I was unclear. I meant I would be using the same pistol for both suppressed practice and suppressed HD, as well as unsuppressed concealed carry.

But you don't think the extra weight and inertia will affect my aim, as long as I am using the same grip and sights and trigger pull?
Close range point and shooting....no.

I still stress shooting and point aim practice is needed, both ways.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

Old 10-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Honestly...you can either shoot or you cannot.

If you can shoot well, playing with a suppressor will not diminish that.

If you cannot shoot well, having a suppressor off or on will not matter.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:59 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ah thanks guys! At the very least, do you think shooting a few mags without the suppressor during each trip would help keep my skill level up for suppressor-less encounters?

Old 10-26-2009, 04:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
Ah thanks guys! At the very least, do you think shooting a few mags without the suppressor during each trip would help keep my skill level up for suppressor-less encounters?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1919A4 View Post
Honestly...you can either shoot or you cannot.

If you can shoot well, playing with a suppressor will not diminish that.

If you cannot shoot well, having a suppressor off or on will not matter.
Indeed.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!