Want to train and engage with others for team work
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Want to train and engage with others for team work

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2013, 06:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Default Want to train and engage with others for team work

I am just a regular guy who is still learning. I'm 42 and live in Sherwood Oregon I wasn't in the military but from the moment my first daughter was born I have gradually getting more involved in preparation. I don't know if there's anyway to get some real moving and tactical training without spending a $1000 to go to a weekend class in some other state. I am not interested in unlawful explosives or anything that might be in violation of anything. I just want to get better and smarter in dynamic situations.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-30-2013, 07:19 AM   #2

Liked 4786 Times on 2315 Posts
Likes Given: 1478

Greg,

You are wise to seek training. There is a substantial difference between knowing how to shoot a gun and knowing how to fight with one.

For your purpose I would recommend Thunder Ranch in Eastern Oregon. Yes, it will run a week or two's paychecks but the training is good and it will actually stick with you.

I'm not much into the prepper scene but do have a group of trusted families who live close by. Every member has a needed skill set with backgrounds ranging from Military to Mechanics to Medical to Hunting and Agriculture.

IMHO this is the way to go... Individuals trying to link up with others in a STHF situation across a city the size of the Portland Metro Area would be folly.

Get yourself trained and find like minded neighbors who can contribute a needed skill. Should things ever go horribly wrong like a total economic collapse, a self sufficient and self supporting group is going to be your best bet and the less you need to travel to consolidate, the better off you'll be.

Good Luck

Tack

Old 01-31-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1965 Times on 1161 Posts
Likes Given: 930

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREGULON View Post
I am just a regular guy who is still learning. I'm 42 and live in Sherwood Oregon I wasn't in the military but from the moment my first daughter was born I have gradually getting more involved in preparation. I don't know if there's anyway to get some real moving and tactical training without spending a $1000 to go to a weekend class in some other state. I am not interested in unlawful explosives or anything that might be in violation of anything. I just want to get better and smarter in dynamic situations.
To bad you don't live closer to Alabama as I would like to help you further your training goals!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 01-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #4

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post

To bad you don't live closer to Alabama as I would like to help you further your training goals!
I'm in Alabama as well but plan to star teaching courses on basic and tactical training. But for much cheaper than $1000.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1965 Times on 1161 Posts
Likes Given: 930

I started doing my 'Armed Self-defense Course' in the early 90's in Colorado.
I am now doing it in AL. It not a 'marksmanship' course. It is designed to give the student the confidence and ability to survive close encounters with assailants.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!