Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Want to train and engage with others for team work (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/want-train-engage-others-team-work-82858/)

GREGULON 01-30-2013 06:38 AM

Want to train and engage with others for team work

I am just a regular guy who is still learning. I'm 42 and live in Sherwood Oregon I wasn't in the military but from the moment my first daughter was born I have gradually getting more involved in preparation. I don't know if there's anyway to get some real moving and tactical training without spending a $1000 to go to a weekend class in some other state. I am not interested in unlawful explosives or anything that might be in violation of anything. I just want to get better and smarter in dynamic situations.

Tackleberry1 01-30-2013 07:19 AM

Greg,

You are wise to seek training. There is a substantial difference between knowing how to shoot a gun and knowing how to fight with one.

For your purpose I would recommend Thunder Ranch in Eastern Oregon. Yes, it will run a week or two's paychecks but the training is good and it will actually stick with you.

I'm not much into the prepper scene but do have a group of trusted families who live close by. Every member has a needed skill set with backgrounds ranging from Military to Mechanics to Medical to Hunting and Agriculture.

IMHO this is the way to go... Individuals trying to link up with others in a STHF situation across a city the size of the Portland Metro Area would be folly.

Get yourself trained and find like minded neighbors who can contribute a needed skill. Should things ever go horribly wrong like a total economic collapse, a self sufficient and self supporting group is going to be your best bet and the less you need to travel to consolidate, the better off you'll be.

Good Luck

Tack

JimRau 01-31-2013 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GREGULON (Post 1116098)
I am just a regular guy who is still learning. I'm 42 and live in Sherwood Oregon I wasn't in the military but from the moment my first daughter was born I have gradually getting more involved in preparation. I don't know if there's anyway to get some real moving and tactical training without spending a $1000 to go to a weekend class in some other state. I am not interested in unlawful explosives or anything that might be in violation of anything. I just want to get better and smarter in dynamic situations.

To bad you don't live closer to Alabama as I would like to help you further your training goals!;)

jhelms 01-31-2013 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimRau (Post 1117792)

To bad you don't live closer to Alabama as I would like to help you further your training goals!;)

I'm in Alabama as well but plan to star teaching courses on basic and tactical training. But for much cheaper than $1000.

JimRau 02-01-2013 10:32 PM

I started doing my 'Armed Self-defense Course' in the early 90's in Colorado.
I am now doing it in AL. It not a 'marksmanship' course. It is designed to give the student the confidence and ability to survive close encounters with assailants. :)