Want to Learn how too shoot a handgun the right way
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Want to Learn how too shoot a handgun the right way

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2011, 04:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Want to Learn how too shoot a handgun the right way

Hi i am going into the criminal justice field. And i would like too get all my skills i can down and as sharp as they can be. First of all i dont even have a handgun yet but im running on a low budget. And do not have 150 to just spend on the NRA basic pistol class. The reason i ask this is because a lot of my cop friends and people i have also seen on this forum say it would be hard too unteach bad habits like at the academy and in my police training. So what are some things i should remember or does anyone know of any good videos any advise is helpful thank you all.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-28-2011, 08:25 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2955 Times on 1704 Posts
Likes Given: 1271

Is there a shooting range in the area? Do you had a chance to go there and observe?

Check out the shooters. See who is hitting the target the best and ask him or her if they would be willing to teach you.

Check with the sheriff or city police and talk with the person who runs the armory.
They may know of instructors or good shooters who would be willing to teach.

Nothing is free, so you may want to consider offering to supply ammo.

And most police academies would prefer new cadets to have no shooting experience than those who have bad habits. Good luck!

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghamm117 View Post
Hi i am going into the criminal justice field. And i would like too get all my skills i can down and as sharp as they can be. First of all i dont even have a handgun yet but im running on a low budget. And do not have 150 to just spend on the NRA basic pistol class. The reason i ask this is because a lot of my cop friends and people i have also seen on this forum say it would be hard too unteach bad habits like at the academy and in my police training. So what are some things i should remember or does anyone know of any good videos any advise is helpful thank you all.
Youtube is a wonderful thing. There are a bunch of videos on proper handgun shooting techniques. Some are boring and others really well done. In addition to technique, you also have to go with what feels most comfortable to you.

Old 01-28-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2106 Times on 1154 Posts
Likes Given: 629

It is easier to teach someone with no experience than someone with bad habits. If you dont have the funds for proper instruction or another way to get instruction, then dont start shooting. The instructor would rather have a total newbie than someone that is poorly trained. I would concentrate on the safety aspects and learn proper safe handling along with standard range commands. How weapons function would be another good area.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Last edited by JTJ; 01-28-2011 at 08:40 PM.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:17 AM   #5

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

And something Else that works, once You start shooting,
Record yourself, and compare yours to other's videos. It's how I've been learning to correct when I err, Because I analyze again and again and again, what I did wrong
Biggest thing to train on is finger placement, keep your triggerfinger outside the trigger guard.
Most indoor ranges also have rental guns, so take one of your cop friends shooting

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 01-30-2011, 06:24 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Try this thread

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/pistol-shooting-tip-37627/#post432646

Old 02-01-2011, 06:33 PM   #7

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

There are two entirely different schools of thought when it comes to the use of firearms. Shooting to live (fight shooting) and shooting in competition (sport shooting). Fight shooting is a zero defect action, sport shooting can bruise your ego.

The shooter must choose to follow the correct discipline when strapping on a firearm. You have selected fight shooting (LEO) and your life depends on understanding the raw reality of this decision.

The three most important items that you MUST accomplish are:

1. Training
  2. Training
  3. Training

And when it comes to training I like to remind my students of a quote from that famous philosopher, Yogi Berra; "Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical."

This applies equally to all firearms, shooting and handling. If your mind isn’t into it, DON’T go to work, pick up and load a gun much less shoot it! Not only does your life depend on that decision but every living thing within range of your weapon will!

Start saving your pennies and get some professional training. Just like JTJ stated, you have no bad habits to break! You are the ideal student in the hands of a competent instructor. Find one and use them to mold you into a survivor.

Here are some suggestions for you to get started;And the final suggestion, do what you did with this thread.

ASK QUESTIONS!

Good luck

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 02-01-2011 at 06:36 PM.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:24 PM   #8

Something to get you started. Make sure you do this in a very safe and slow matter.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #9

Liked 208 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Bello, thanks for those thunder Ranch videos... Much appreciated.

------------Space Not for Hire.-----------

Old 02-03-2011, 09:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagj17 View Post
Bello, thanks for those thunder Ranch videos... Much appreciated.
No problem.