Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Wanna be a shooter (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/wanna-shooter-63636/)

futureshooter 05-01-2012 02:21 PM

Wanna be a shooter

Hello,
I really want to practice shooting except there are some problems. My parents have brought me to the local range and rented some guns for me, and my friends dad brought me some times. Ive shot some 1191's , and some rugers.

But the problem is my parents dont really want to take me, and they dont have any expirence with guns, and they know nothing about it. Also i am 14, so i dont think i cant get a license to buy my own gun. But i really want to continue practicing. the only way i am continuing practicing is through airsoft. I play alot of airsoft but i really want a real firearm.

Any suggestions?

c3shooter 05-01-2012 04:20 PM

First, until you are 18, you are required to go with what your parents say. And no, under Federal law, you cannot buy any firearm until you are 18 (21 for a handgun)

Now, as far as shooting in the meantime- WITH THE CONSENT OF YOUR PARENTS- Do you have other relatives that you can shoot with- or parents of one of your friends? Is there a Youth Shooting Sports group where you are? One of the groups is the 4-H in many areas. You can also check with the NRA and your State Rifle Association for youth groups in your area. These typically include small bore rifle and shotgun (skeet or trap)

And you can start by letting us know what state you are in- rules and opportunities vary.

therewolf 05-02-2012 04:16 PM

Check your local laws, you may be able to go to BB guns or pellet

guns when you get older, with the consent of your parents.

Fortunately I made all my stupid mistakes with BB guns.

Hit myself with ricochets, shot myself in the thumb, and

nearly put my eye out twice.(yeah, I was your age...)

unclebear 05-02-2012 10:54 PM

I would try and talk to your patents see if theirs anything that you can do to maybe get them more into it, you could always try to talk them into getting a 22 there pretty cheap and anyone can shoot one. If not I would go with a BB gun, airsoft is fun as hell I use to play it all the time when I was in high school but I know what you mean completely different feeling when you shoot a real gun. I wasn't able to get the range much when I was younger my dad was working all the time and my mom never really liked guns. I shot my BB gun regularly when I couldn't get to the range I was buying bulk packs of BB's every week, the main thing I loved about my BB gun was that I could work on my trigger control, sight picture, even flinching to a point. I think BB guns are a great thing to have to work on your shooting skills, I wasn't able to get into shooting as much as I wanted too until I was 17 but you know you can always talk to your parents maybe even get a job and get some money together and talk to them about maybe buying a 22. The only reason I got my first 22 I worked shoveling crap and throwing bags of feed I talked to my parents and showed them I had the money and after a week long talk they finally agreed to buy a 22 for me.

Good luck I hope everything works out for you, but keep in mind that your parents are your boss till your 18 and respect and manners can get you farther then angry words.

GatorDude 05-03-2012 01:26 AM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._like_Yoda.jpg

Mmmm....Patience he must have. Parents must judge his maturity. Is he ready? No. He is not ready. Patient he must be. Is he reckless? Are his friends crazy? How will he act when his girlfriend breaks up with him? Does he wear a black trench coat and listen to emo music? What happens when he gets a big fat F in shop class? Is he level headed and responsible? Hmmmm.... His parents will see. Read up. Study he must. Learn and live the safety rules. See if he can build a nice safe BB gun range or get involved with an air rifle team. What about a slingshot, archery, or darts? Airsoft and video games will prepare him for combat. But, hmmm...., be careful what you wish for. One day the government may give you a gun and a place to go use it.

2ndAmendmentFreedom 05-03-2012 02:33 AM

Ah that's tough, when I was under 18 I was really into airsoft (and still am), built my own guns (500FPS+ AEGs) and that kept me busy for a long time. Building these guns develops intuition that can be used when doing maintenance on real guns later on. In terms of internals, AEGs are more complicated and have a lot more parts than their real steel counterpart.
Anyway back on topic, maybe you have "cool" cousins or relatives that can take you but what's for sure is that you can't legally go to the range on your own. I know 18 feels like a long way so you have 4 years to convince your parents that a .22 is cheap, fun and doesn't over penetrate.

Ranger-6 05-03-2012 03:11 AM

My best years were 1 thru 18, when I lived in that state of illusion where we went the grandma's house for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. Oh those good old days where the family had their gatherings and picnics, going to church and learning about Jesus.

Then at 19 years old the letter came in the mail: "Greeting, you have been selected by your friends and neighbors to participate in the armed forces." That was the period in my life where I was thrust into the state of reality where we went to other countries for killing, burning, and plunder.

Oh those good old days where the soldiers had their gatherings around the objective for mad-minute shooting, shelling, and bombing. Oh how the gun has brought peace to this miserable world by mass killing and plundering the wealth and resources of others.

Being 14 years old, take this wonderful moment of your youth and smell the rose, for the smell of death will forever change mature life. "So help me God."

The_Kid 05-03-2012 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorDude (Post 788829)

LOL! I love it!

I still shoot a daisy bb gun and like it.

therewolf 05-03-2012 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatorDude (Post 788829)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._like_Yoda.jpg

Mmmm....Patience he must have. Does he wear a black trench coat and listen to emo music?

Hey, I wear a black trench coat and listen to brain rot cranked up full

blast... ...was I any better when I was that age?

7point62 05-04-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by futureshooter (Post 787200)
Hello,
I really want to practice shooting except there are some problems. My parents have brought me to the local range and rented some guns for me, and my friends dad brought me some times. Ive shot some 1191's , and some rugers.

But the problem is my parents dont really want to take me, and they dont have any expirence with guns, and they know nothing about it. Also i am 14, so i dont think i cant get a license to buy my own gun. But i really want to continue practicing. the only way i am continuing practicing is through airsoft. I play alot of airsoft but i really want a real firearm.

Any suggestions?

You're lucky that your parents--who have no experience with guns--have been open-minded enough to take you to a range. That's rare. Any possibility of your dad becoming interested in shooting with you? Sounds like a good father-son learning experience to me. If not, you'll just have to do what some others have suggested and be patient.