Unique circumstances...! - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Unique circumstances...!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 02:26 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3461 Times on 1934 Posts
Likes Given: 19298

People seem to associate handicap with can,t..! Do not under-estimate see what happens..! Like the "Drunken Monkey" I have mentioned on
Various occasions , they are not as they appear.! An illusion..!

This form of Kung fu is very passive until provoked , don,t provoke..!

The same goes with the five senses , one begots the other..! Oh Yeah.!

Last edited by dango; 04-09-2013 at 02:29 AM.
racer_x Likes This 
Old 04-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

A new approach is called for..! Lets just assumed that you have no choice , you will go blind..!
What will you do in the days left..? Independence , how important is this to you
Personally , what are you willing to do..? What are you willing to sacrifice..?
How firm is your resolve. .?

Don,t know how , but you will continue to live and must be independent to a certain degree..! How far will you go..? It is possible to live life at it,s fullest.!
You still have your earring , smell , touch , pain , everything you need to successfully live and not just exsist..!

Seems to me all you really need is an extension of the four senses you have left.
I,m a very lucky man cause I,ve played these scenario games with everything already . It was very possible for things to happen and get out of control .You must understand what you risk and know your personal limitations at all times when flirting with disaster . I have imagined myself in most situations and have weighed all consequences.

TALK THE TALK , WALK THE WALK...!

Old 04-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3177 Times on 1831 Posts
Likes Given: 2037

I would highly recommend beginning with a pellet pistol/rifle.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #14
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1426 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 1040

No reason why a blind guy can't shoot as long as somebody's there to point him in the right direction and make sure the muzzle stays downrange.

People Like This 
Old 04-09-2013, 07:49 PM   #15
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1772 Times on 1092 Posts
Likes Given: 9861

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
I have a very good friend that through the years has lost his vision .I mean lost all vision , blind.! We speak all the time and he asked me a strange question.!
Is it possible to shoot by hearing and not by seeing at all. ?

A little back round: In 1970 , and while at AFEEES Cleveland , he took his physical for the service , army to be exact . In these basic tests , he had amazed
Those being in charge of these tests . Hearing to more precisely . He was hearing below and above the normal spectrum of human hearing which is (20hz--25,000hz).! He was hearing well below this audio spectrum . The people in charge were so sure he was toying around with the hearing test , they kept him over night to take this test three times . You know , the little sound-proof booth with the button masher in your hand . Needless to say , the boy was hearing exactly that , the test , all three times , precisely the same , he,d heard well below and above normal hearing !

Is it possible to set up a small target range to shoot totally by hearing and no vision ? I,ve got some good ideas as how to set up the range with simple noise makers and fishing string. Do you think this can be done safely or at all ?
I personally believe it can be done .!

WHAT SAY YEE..?
I say try out some of the suggestions with air soft and paintball first. If that goes well, try out thes same set ups with a .22 LR next. Baby steps, and safety first.

I am curious about this myself. I am going blind myself, (Macular degeneration. I have already lost 50% of the vision in my right eye) so please let us know how this works out. Both of my eye doctors told me I would be blind in 2 years. This was 7 years ago. I too believe anything is possible. You just have to want it bad enough to not give up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruggieTex View Post
I am thinking more of a steel drum approach...of course caliber sensitive, but the fundamentals of audio orientation are sound.

Interesting thought...cheesy, but laser tag at decreasing tone receptors would confirm the possibility, perhaps without the ambulance!
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Maybe try paintball or airsoft first. He could hear the airsoft pellets hitting hard backgrounds.
Great ideas guys. I think I'll try them myself with a blindfold. Sound like some good sensory deprivation experiments.

Quote:
Out here where I live there is acer upon acer to experiment with .
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Everybody always hatin on the cheap computers & accessories.
Last Acer I had lasted me 6 years. The Motherboard and power supply crasher about 2 months ago, so it was time for a new one. I am thinking about how to give it a proper sendoff. The wife and I figure 1.5 pounds of Tannerite should do the job.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

People Like This 
Old 04-09-2013, 09:27 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

In MS, I think some disabled people are allowed to use more automated rifles/equipment for hunting. Maybe his state would let him use a suppressor to preserve his hearing for finding the target?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

dango Likes This 
Old 04-10-2013, 04:19 AM   #17
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1772 Times on 1092 Posts
Likes Given: 9861

Quote:
People seem to associate handicap with can,t..! Do not under-estimate see what happens..! Like the "Drunken Monkey" I have mentioned on
Various occasions , they are not as they appear.! An illusion..!

This form of Kung fu is very passive until provoked , don,t provoke..!

The same goes with the five senses , one begots the other..! Oh Yeah.!
You're right Dango. Most people do associate handicapped with can't, it is the way they are wired. I know that most people that I meet are surprised that, even though I lost the front half of my foot 7 years ago, i still ride a motorcycle, and my truck is a stick. granted, I can't run 5 miles anymore (still working up to that), but that doesn't mean it's time for me to sit on my azz and give up either.

I ran into a problem when the sight in my right eye started to lessen, my solution was to fall back on the training that I received from my dad. He taught me to shoot from my weak side so I fell back on that and adapted. yes, i will probably go completely blind sometime in the next 10 years. I made my peace with that.

Handicapped does not mean can't. In another post you asked how far you would go if you knew it was going to happen. I would have to answer that with "As far as I can." I have already gone so far as to learn braille, and I am willing to go even farther than that if need be. If an experimental treatment came up that had an 80% chance of restoring my right eye to full sight, I would strongly consider it.

I think that what you want to do for your friend is a noble idea, and i wish you both the best of luck with it. Just try to be safe, and start with a less lethal option first. See how that goes, and go forward with it from there.

handicapped hell, It's handicapable!

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

dango Likes This 
Old 04-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Talked my wife into helping me with this. As soon as I get on my feet a little better , we,re gonna set up a noise target and see what happens. This is possible and I know it is ..! My hearing is amazingly good so this should be easy.

Old 04-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #19

Liked 284 Times on 229 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Is he color blind dango? The reason I ask my hearing is kinda like that. Made me do the test twice on going in and 3 times going out, they couldnt figure why my hearing was still so good.

Im sure a blindman can shoot bullseyes till the pops efect his hearing, I think thats gana be the ballence

Old 04-16-2013, 03:33 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I personally have with the help of my wife the first time and refining my target set-up a little the second time..did some blind shooting , 9mm..!

A card-board back , 4 ft. X 4ft. With two tin cans in the middle..!

First time , fishing string tied to one can with my wife behind me pulling string to clank cans. Surprisingly , I did way better than I thought I would ! Never missed the can by more than 8 inches and even got lucky twice and hit the cans . The rate of progression will tell all !

Three 17 round mags at fifty feet and am able to "clank" cans with my foot and fishing string now.! I will see the rate of progression or , if any at all .? Not sure yet on how well sound correlation will relate with ability to focus and pinpoint perhaps a two inch group by sound alone .

The problem is not hearing exactly where sound is coming from , but how to know where the muzzle is exactly at .? I,m going to try pointing index finger to point in line with barrel more , change left hand grip !

I,m going to load up some mags today and not blind fold , but try pointing with left finger ..? I can,t say exactly what I might do to improve yet , just to early and not comfortable yet.!

Last edited by dango; 04-16-2013 at 03:36 PM.