Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Unintentional Discharge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 05:17 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
where did you get the dog holster?? is it a shoulder rig, in the pants or belt holster??

You know that dog hates life in that thing. Since when did a dog become an accessory?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-21-2011, 06:32 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I think you should file suit against the dog for not warning you of the incoming feline, grossly negligent.

Seriously though, be careful man; cat owners aren't the most stable people, as a group. Shooting kitty, without proper disposal, could lead to some unpleasant consequences. Those consequences would've been MUCH less unpleasant than the ones associated with shooting a hole in your house, spouse, or offspring.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-21-2011, 08:27 PM   #23

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am not a perfect man, I was out camping with some friends I was nee deep in cayote country. At one point it sounded like a thousand angry hun screaming, I had my saga in 7.62.39 and three clips. I was up watching the fire when I heard a lot of commotion in the brush less then a hundred yards away from me. I clicked the light on my gun on, I then I heard a cayote call from behind me then more commotion I saw to little green eyes and I fired right between the green dots, woke everyone up all in all it turned out to be a damn racoon.

Scared the living s**t out of me.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 01-22-2011, 01:49 AM   #24

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default ND

I've been around firearms for over 50 years now. Everything from muzzle-loaders to sharps, bolt guns, ARs, Colts, S&Ws etc. I've also been lucky and caught myself a couple times with the safety off (finger out of the guard, muzzle headed the right way). I think it takes a lot of guts to get on a forum like this and admit to a serious mistake like that. And after all the heat hopefully he will stick around and accept the positive comments and ignore the stupid ones. We all make mistakes sooner or later.

"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace." - Thomas Paine
Vietnam Vet 1968 MCB 53 Danang

Old 01-22-2011, 09:28 AM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

no ones perfect people make mistakes, I know that everyone here has made at least one mistake so ya. I have no problem at all more power to the man willing to admit it.

"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 01-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #26

I'm subtracting points because you missed the cat.....

That being said, stick around a while and hopefully we can teach you a few things, and we may just learn a few things from you as well.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:01 PM   #27

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmille01 View Post
I am not a perfect man, I was out camping with some friends I was nee deep in cayote country. At one point it sounded like a thousand angry hun screaming, I had my saga in 7.62.39 and three clips. I was up watching the fire when I heard a lot of commotion in the brush less then a hundred yards away from me. I clicked the light on my gun on, I then I heard a cayote call from behind me then more commotion I saw to little green eyes and I fired right between the green dots, woke everyone up all in all it turned out to be a damn racoon.

Scared the living s**t out of me.
Were you afraid that the yotes were stampeding in for am attack?

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-23-2011, 06:11 AM   #28

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

nope mostly I was freaking out where we were is known for cayotes being ballzy, some people had said to be bit and everything else under the sun. So basicly freaking out, beside I have a pretty nice hat becuase of it.

Sargent Miller

Old 02-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTguy View Post
After thinking more on what happened yesterday, what happened was reflexive. I never aimed at the cat and made a conscious decision to fire. I was surprised that a round fired. I read an article that said when you are startled your body tenses up and you tend to clench your hands. lots of people have fired weapons unintetionally this way. Even though my finger was on the frame, it naturally slid down into a clenching motion, sliding down into the tigger. The gun was pointed down, and the bullet hit about a foot in front of me on the concrete.
I was shaking my head on your first post but this kinda p*#@ed me off. Don't make excuses for a possibly deadly mistake. Not only was there a negligent firing of a weapon, but you now had a ricochet. Let's say the bullet went over the cats back by a few inches. What if that had been your kid that startled you? They're a little taller than a cat. I hope you learned a lesson here. Please stick around this forum. Nobody is trying to run you off.

Aside from this: your home is your safety! The noise was outside. If you felt threatened enough to get a weapon then stay put & defend your family. You knew where you were. You did not know what or where the noise was. Inside you had time to think of what could be coming & prepare for it. You always want to be a step ahead & not play catch up. This is just my opinion.

Teach a child to shoot, it may save a life someday!

Old 02-04-2011, 12:51 AM   #30

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

all the recommendations, and yes even the ass chewings are right. all that being said, time to get off the man's back. surely he's got it figured out how y'all feel by now. And every one here knows that no one is immune to it. I've had a ND myself in the past. first time I went deer hunting with grandad's model 70, 12 years old. I was sitting in a tree stand with the rifle across my lap and my ice cube finger tips in my arm pits, when I had what I thought must have been the biggest buck in MS just strolled right in front of me. Hell I got excited and jumped, the rifle slid right through my fingers and fell about 15' to the ground landing on the butt, went off, and blew a .30 caliber hole in the seat right next to my ass. Now, that's the only one that happened to me, and it wasn't from finger touching trigger for any reason, but still, I failed to maintain control of the rifle. Now 18 years later, 2 combat deployments in USMC infantry, MP duty on camp lejeune, armed security and a lot of hunting trips, just for fun range sessions, and one rabid coon, never had a mis hap since.