Unintentional Discharge - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Unintentional Discharge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTguy View Post
Has anyone else had something like this happen to them?
No. I would have hit the cat. Seriously, more firearms safe use, practice and training is your friend. Every time you pick up a weapon and possibly intend to use it, there will be that same emotional adrenalin rush. Learn to control it, work past it, or there may be unwanted consequences in the future.

Please take a few firearm safety classes, or continue with more follow-up, if you have not done so. And practice, train, and practice. Hell, you are in Arizona, they have the most gun-friendly firearm possession and carry laws in the country!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 01-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #12

After thinking more on what happened yesterday, what happened was reflexive. I never aimed at the cat and made a conscious decision to fire. I was surprised that a round fired. I read an article that said when you are startled your body tenses up and you tend to clench your hands. lots of people have fired weapons unintetionally this way. Even though my finger was on the frame, it naturally slid down into a clenching motion, sliding down into the tigger. The gun was pointed down, and the bullet hit about a foot in front of me on the concrete.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #13

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
After thinking more on what happened yesterday, what happened was reflexive. I never aimed at the cat and made a conscious decision to fire. I was surprised that a round fired. I read an article that said when you are startled your body tenses up and you tend to clench your hands. lots of people have fired weapons unintetionally this way. Even though my finger was on the frame, it naturally slid down into a clenching motion, sliding down into the tigger. The gun was pointed down, and the bullet hit about a foot in front of me on the concrete.

RTguy,

You are right that when you are startled your body tenses up and if your finger is on the trigger you can have a negligent discharge. Now, understand that from my experience over the past 30+ years as a LEO firearms instructor I believe your finger had to have been on the trigger and not on the frame as you believe because your finger would have pushed into the frame and not slid down on the trigger as the startle reflex is to grip. What probable happened was that you were nervous, scared, and anticipating a person prowling around. You probable had your finger in the trigger without realizing it as it seems natural for most people who have little training tend to do and is almost guaranteed to happen in a stressful situation. I would suggest that next time if the situation allows and is outside that you call the police and report an intruder, secure your doors and by all means arm yourself but stay inside and wait. Going outside and searching for a intruder is placing yourself in a situation that unless trained to do it is very dangerous. I don’t know how much firearms training you have had but I would take a class or two just to be safe. Hang in there and understand that this situation can be a very valuable lesson that could have gone very bad very easily.

Stick around, we can be hard but also very friendly.

Scubie

Old 01-06-2011, 03:53 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusLach View Post
Mate this is a forum for firearm enthusiasts; not for trigger-happy, gun-toting, redneck hicks.. As such, I highly doubt you'll be able to find anyone who has been in the same predicament as you, much less someone who will be willing to admit it in front of responsible gun owners. I sincerely hope that you have learnt from what can only be described as a tragedy averted and that you seek some professional training in the handling of firearms in the near future. Good thing it wasn't one of your kids that was behind you...
I don't mind admitting when I have made a mistake, and I think it is too bad for people who can learn from mistakes that you seem to mind.
Once I was messing around with an old .22 rimfire rifle, unbeknownst to me, the firing pin had rusted in place and when I racked a round into the chamber the gun discharged. Fortunately I was pointing the gun at the floor/wall in the corner of the room & there were no injuries. Did the Tempe Police respond from the shot you fired?

Old 01-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #15
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1357 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Sh*t happens. But when sh*t happens with a firearm you need an R Lee Ermy 3-way with him screaming in both ears and between your eyes so close you can smell the potato chips he ate last month and feel his spittle on your face. Then you need a 400lb gorilla to bootstomp your a$$.

That way you remember.

RTGuy needs to take some heat for his dumba$$ mistake. No mercy for N/Ds.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Old 01-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #16

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7point62 View Post
Sh*t happens. But when sh*t happens with a firearm you need an R Lee Ermy 3-way with him screaming in both ears and between your eyes so close you can smell the potato chips he ate last month and feel his spittle on your face. Then you need a 400lb gorilla to bootstomp your a$$.

That way you remember.

RTGuy needs to take some heat for his dumba$$ mistake. No mercy for N/Ds.
He may still be recyclable, if he follows through and takes the suggestions he has been given and sticks around and absorbs some of the knowledge and experience that spews forth here for just the asking.

Especially if he quick times it over to the INTRODUCTION section and tells us a little about himself and his gun likes.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 01-21-2011, 10:42 AM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a question: What is "grave pearl"?

[]]]]]]]]]]]]\>
"----)_'_\--(
"--------\--\
"---------\_/

Old 01-21-2011, 11:10 AM   #18

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

grave peril

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-21-2011, 12:28 PM   #19

Quote:
This is somewhat embarrasing. My wife and I were watching television and we heard a loud noise outside. I grabbed my gun, flashlight and dog and went outside to see if someone was out there. I was at the fence around a corner investigating the area. All of a sudden, I heard scrambling behind me. I turned around and a cat came around the corner fast right at me. It startled me. I had my finger along the frame prior to this but I fired a round at the cat. Didn't hit the cat, but the incident really scared me. My kids were sleeping close by.

Has anyone else had something like this happen to them?
I had a .223 land one inch to the right of my right foot once, I made my mind ever since, a loaded round is a fired round, that's all.

Visit our website
FOLLOW US ON YOUTUBE

It works, only if you use it!
Look for me in the vendor display

Old 01-21-2011, 04:02 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5633 Times on 2943 Posts
Likes Given: 372

Quote:
I grabbed my gun, flashlight and dog and went outside...
where did you get the dog holster?? is it a shoulder rig, in the pants or belt holster??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...