Unintentional Discharge
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Unintentional Discharge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 07:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Unintentional Discharge

This is somewhat embarrasing. My wife and I were watching television and we heard a loud noise outside. I grabbed my gun, flashlight and dog and went outside to see if someone was out there. I was at the fence around a corner investigating the area. All of a sudden, I heard scrambling behind me. I turned around and a cat came around the corner fast right at me. It startled me. I had my finger along the frame prior to this but I fired a round at the cat. Didn't hit the cat, but the incident really scared me. My kids were sleeping close by.

Has anyone else had something like this happen to them?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #2

Liked 40 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Mate this is a forum for firearm enthusiasts; not for trigger-happy, gun-toting, redneck hicks.. As such, I highly doubt you'll be able to find anyone who has been in the same predicament as you, much less someone who will be willing to admit it in front of responsible gun owners. I sincerely hope that you have learnt from what can only be described as a tragedy averted and that you seek some professional training in the handling of firearms in the near future. Good thing it wasn't one of your kids that was behind you...

Old 01-06-2011, 08:51 AM   #3

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Thank God it wasn't worse!
If your finger was running along the side of the frame how that booger hook get inside the trigger guard?
I'm glad no one was hurt. You should take time to get more acquainted with your weapon and how to use in in a high stress situation. Training is the one thing we can do to help us be able to do the right thing at the right time. Also make a plan so you will always know where the others are in the house in a situation like this. Like round up the family and get them in a single location and not come out till you get them...Or whatever works best for your particular family. Right now though it appears none of this has been addressed.

Not trying to jump on you or anything..Just hoping you learn from this.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by DrumJunkie; 01-06-2011 at 09:50 AM.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:53 AM   #4
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7092 Times on 4269 Posts
Likes Given: 8600

This thread is titled "Unintentional Discharge". When you pull the trigger, it is intentional. I imagine adrenal can get pumping and one can over react but this could have been a very dangerous situation. I am very new to guns and I have a lot to learn. I am not here to judge but I know my knowledge and comfort with firearms is not strong so I don't put myself in situations with a loaded gun where I think I might make a poor decision. I'm just glad no one got hurt.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:38 AM   #5

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

It was unintentional, but negligent is THE word.

When I was in my early teens, I had a thing for dragging my finger on the trigger when the gun was on safe. Did it when I was 15, on a rem 700 in 243 while walking for deer. Fired straight up in the air, lost my chance at some does bedded in front of me. Habit broken immediately.

My right ear constantly rings loudly, and I estimate 30% hearing loss due to an AR being negligently discharged about 3' from my head. It was pointed in a safe direction, but my ears don't know it.

They thought the magazine was empty.

As has been suggested, go find some instruction or some classes.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 01-06-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Get some training and thank God you didn't hurt anyone or anything. I think drumjunkie covered it well.

What kind of weapon are you carrying?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Finger off trigger unless in grave pearl. At the very least you need a refresher course in safe firearms handling.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." -- Unknown author -- Falsely attributed to George Washington --
Patriot Guard Rider

Old 01-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #8
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1357 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
It was unintentional, but negligent is THE word.

QFT Negligent Discharge.

RTGuy: Some people shouldn't own guns. Maybe you're one of em.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Old 01-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #9

RTGuy
You appear to be new to guns. Situation that you were not trained to handle. Accident and nerves. Nobody dead or injured. Enough said.

Get proper training fast.

Old 01-06-2011, 01:02 PM   #10

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Welcome RTguy and after this post, I hope you stick around!

As you can see, we take firearms safety seriously around here. Safety should be your Job 1.

You should go to the Introductions Section and tell us a little about yourself.

Please understand that the comments made here are for you and your loved ones' safety. Do not be offended by them but learn from this experience.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello