Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Unintentional Discharge (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/unintentional-discharge-36494/)

RTguy 01-06-2011 07:16 AM

Unintentional Discharge

This is somewhat embarrasing. My wife and I were watching television and we heard a loud noise outside. I grabbed my gun, flashlight and dog and went outside to see if someone was out there. I was at the fence around a corner investigating the area. All of a sudden, I heard scrambling behind me. I turned around and a cat came around the corner fast right at me. It startled me. I had my finger along the frame prior to this but I fired a round at the cat. Didn't hit the cat, but the incident really scared me. My kids were sleeping close by.

Has anyone else had something like this happen to them?

AusLach 01-06-2011 07:32 AM

Mate this is a forum for firearm enthusiasts; not for trigger-happy, gun-toting, redneck hicks.. As such, I highly doubt you'll be able to find anyone who has been in the same predicament as you, much less someone who will be willing to admit it in front of responsible gun owners. I sincerely hope that you have learnt from what can only be described as a tragedy averted and that you seek some professional training in the handling of firearms in the near future. Good thing it wasn't one of your kids that was behind you...

DrumJunkie 01-06-2011 08:51 AM

Thank God it wasn't worse! :eek:
If your finger was running along the side of the frame how that booger hook get inside the trigger guard? :confused:
I'm glad no one was hurt. You should take time to get more acquainted with your weapon and how to use in in a high stress situation. Training is the one thing we can do to help us be able to do the right thing at the right time. Also make a plan so you will always know where the others are in the house in a situation like this. Like round up the family and get them in a single location and not come out till you get them...Or whatever works best for your particular family. Right now though it appears none of this has been addressed.

Not trying to jump on you or anything..Just hoping you learn from this.

winds-of-change 01-06-2011 08:53 AM

This thread is titled "Unintentional Discharge". When you pull the trigger, it is intentional. I imagine adrenal can get pumping and one can over react but this could have been a very dangerous situation. I am very new to guns and I have a lot to learn. I am not here to judge but I know my knowledge and comfort with firearms is not strong so I don't put myself in situations with a loaded gun where I think I might make a poor decision. I'm just glad no one got hurt. :eek:

willfully armed 01-06-2011 09:38 AM

It was unintentional, but negligent is THE word.

When I was in my early teens, I had a thing for dragging my finger on the trigger when the gun was on safe. Did it when I was 15, on a rem 700 in 243 while walking for deer. Fired straight up in the air, lost my chance at some does bedded in front of me. Habit broken immediately.

My right ear constantly rings loudly, and I estimate 30% hearing loss due to an AR being negligently discharged about 3' from my head. It was pointed in a safe direction, but my ears don't know it.

They thought the magazine was empty.

As has been suggested, go find some instruction or some classes.

spittinfire 01-06-2011 10:05 AM

Get some training and thank God you didn't hurt anyone or anything. I think drumjunkie covered it well.

What kind of weapon are you carrying?

hogrider 01-06-2011 11:34 AM

Finger off trigger unless in grave pearl. At the very least you need a refresher course in safe firearms handling.

7point62 01-06-2011 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willfully armed (Post 416157)
It was unintentional, but negligent is THE word.

QFT Negligent Discharge.

RTGuy: Some people shouldn't own guns. Maybe you're one of em.

Theunsb 01-06-2011 12:43 PM

RTGuy
You appear to be new to guns. Situation that you were not trained to handle. Accident and nerves. Nobody dead or injured. Enough said.

Get proper training fast.

canebrake 01-06-2011 01:02 PM

Welcome RTguy and after this post, I hope you stick around!

As you can see, we take firearms safety seriously around here. Safety should be your Job 1.

You should go to the Introductions Section and tell us a little about yourself.

Please understand that the comments made here are for you and your loved ones' safety. Do not be offended by them but learn from this experience.