Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Unarmed against a knife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #21
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2910 Times on 1715 Posts

What is this unarmed you speak of? I don't undertand this word.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

I had an incident in high school where 6 bullies from shool surprise attacked my brother and me. We were the only ones armed with kinves, the other kids didn't have any wepaons. My brother and I remained defensive but one guy was able to close the distance on my brother. His knife was knocked from his hand and fell to the ground. One of the other guys saw it at the same time I did and we both lunged after it. I was able to use my knife to slash at the other guy's hand and slilghtly cut his hand with it. The guy backed off and I was able to retrieve my brother's knife. At that point the I was able to defensively get back to my brother and we disengaged from the fight. I believe that the two of us having knives equalized the fight. I walked away with a bloody lip from getting punched and my brother with a couple of bruises. Fortunately no one was hurt badly but without the knives my brother and I would have seriously been out matched. I learned that day that a guy with a knife is just as dangerous as 3 without one. Fortunately I was one of the guys holding the knife.

"When in doubt [use] C4." -Jamie Hyneman (Mythbusters)

Old 03-30-2012, 03:20 PM   #23
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

In my opinion its not so much about having or not having a knife. It's training. Case in point the last time I was caught up in a mess I was unarmed and my attacker had a knife. Long story short I had training and the punk didn't. Consequently he ended with a stab wound and broken elbow and I never touched his knife. Training and awareness are your best defenses and weapons.
I still prefer to have at minimum a tactical pen and flashlight on me and generally always have Atleast 1 gun and some form of knife also.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #24
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1251 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 440

I watched a demo in boot camp of a black belt instructor disarming amateur recruits. He had it easy until he picked a kid from the bad part of Chicago. He eventually disarmed him but he had 5 fatal cut marks from the blackened cork tip on the knife. That kid knew how to use a knife.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #25
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It makes a big difference. You can usually get an educated guess on their skill by their stance and how they hold the knife. But nothing is 100% until you're the only one standing.

Old 04-06-2012, 04:44 AM   #26

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you see the knife, you shouldn't be unarmed... Personally, I like my odds with a large rock and a t-shirt vs a knife, specially if the knife is in untrained hands. But yeah, be prepared to get cut either way

Old 04-06-2012, 02:05 PM   #27

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
In my opinion its not so much about having or not having a knife. It's training. Case in point the last time I was caught up in a mess I was unarmed and my attacker had a knife. Long story short I had training and the punk didn't. Consequently he ended with a stab wound and broken elbow and I never touched his knife. Training and awareness are your best defenses and weapons.
I still prefer to have at minimum a tactical pen and flashlight on me and generally always have Atleast 1 gun and some form of knife also.
This. There is no magic solution to a knife wielding opponent. Their skill level and willingness to inflict severe/fatal wounds isn't a known factor.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #28
mcb

Liked 68 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've been involved in shotokan karate for about 30 years.

For a few years in the mid nineties I went to a school teaching a form of escrima a few times a week. Great for hand eye coordination and interesting. We did a lot of mock knife fighting with wooden knives.One take away for me was that you will get cut. The biggest focus was not exposing critical arteries in the arms and wrist and getting in close. During that time I attended a seminar hosted by Dan Inosanto (former Bruce Lee training partner, and considered one of the worlds best martial artist). His advice if someone pulls a knife if at all possible RUN.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:52 AM   #29

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here's how you win unarmed against the knife. You go to the local watering hole. You see the thirty motorcycles parked out front. You see all the dudes in leather and denim milling about. You hear the Lynyrd Skynyrd music playing. Now, here is the technique -- ready -- here goes:

1) stay in your car.
2) Drive to a Bennigans, Applebees, or Ruby Tuesdays in the middle class part of town. (Look for caucasians, Honda Accords, chinos, and polo shirts.)
3) Go eat, drink in moderation, and be merry.
4) Have your designated driver take you home before 11 p.m.
5) Turn on the evening news and be glad that you weren't at the biker bar where that dude got stabbed or at the strip club where that other dude will get stabbed in the parking lot when he walks to the car at 1:30 a.m.

That'll be $39.95 everybody.

My Motto: Vanquish Fear & Panic!
---------------------------------
My webpage: The Gun Dude
My blog: GunGator's Gun Blog

Old 04-09-2012, 03:06 AM   #30
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

But I like the biker bar.