Ultimate Non-Firearm Backup Weapon - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Ultimate Non-Firearm Backup Weapon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2007, 08:22 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A cane. A good stout stick and, just like a gun, the knowledge to use it. You can also carry a cane many places that you can not carry a firearm.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:44 PM   #12

Default backup

depends on the range gap, a knife is no good at gun range, but from 6 to ten feet away, the gun is no good any longer, retreating is always good unless the other guy is armed, if he is, then i would close to knife range. if you are going to be shot, you might as well be shot while advancing, i dont plan on being shot in the back, if i go out i take the bastard with me. and the simple fact that the gun hasnt scared the other guy off catches him off guard and makes his hesitate, people are not as accurate as they believe themselves to be at any range when confronted or being fired on.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:30 PM   #13

Default i want to change my answer

i want to change my answer to either a really big Conan the Barbarian axe or a crossbow!! or an onager with a flaming Pig in it

Old 08-09-2007, 07:52 PM   #14

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
depends on the range gap, a knife is no good at gun range, but from 6 to ten feet away, the gun is no good any longer, retreating is always good unless the other guy is armed, if he is, then i would close to knife range. if you are going to be shot, you might as well be shot while advancing, i dont plan on being shot in the back, if i go out i take the bastard with me. and the simple fact that the gun hasnt scared the other guy off catches him off guard and makes his hesitate, people are not as accurate as they believe themselves to be at any range when confronted or being fired on.
Please elaborate on why a firearm is no good at contact distances...

Old 08-09-2007, 09:51 PM   #15

Quote:
depends on the range gap, a knife is no good at gun range, but from 6 to ten feet away, the gun is no good any longer,
Huh? I don't get it?

Old 08-09-2007, 11:15 PM   #16

Default knife range

if you pull your gun when the guy is right on you, and he happens to wrestle it away you are pretty much screwed, i would rather retain control of my weapon in my holster when i have someone on me trying to take control of then drawing it and having it possibly be used against me. i resort to my TDI kabar, effect a stab would to the thigh neck or groin, then step back and draw the weapon. if i can draw the weapon as he is advancing and know i get level it high enough to get off a shot i will, but if he closes range quickly its a threat to me and the knife gives me the added edge of space once its used because the few seconds it takes for him to recover from the stab allows me the opportunity to safely draw my weapon. not sure how many of you have faced a situation when an attacker actually was too close or closed range and you werent allowed the time to actually draw your weapon but i have and its probably the scariest thing in the world. i have seen other officers who while effecting a traffic stop had the suspect actually climb out of the vehicle and put a gun to their throat, what do you do then?

Old 08-09-2007, 11:33 PM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
if you pull your gun when the guy is right on you, and he happens to wrestle it away you are pretty much screwed, i would rather retain control of my weapon in my holster when i have someone on me trying to take control of then drawing it and having it possibly be used against me. i resort to my TDI kabar, effect a stab would to the thigh neck or groin, then step back and draw the weapon. if i can draw the weapon as he is advancing and know i get level it high enough to get off a shot i will, but if he closes range quickly its a threat to me and the knife gives me the added edge of space once its used because the few seconds it takes for him to recover from the stab allows me the opportunity to safely draw my weapon. not sure how many of you have faced a situation when an attacker actually was too close or closed range and you werent allowed the time to actually draw your weapon but i have and its probably the scariest thing in the world. i have seen other officers who while effecting a traffic stop had the suspect actually climb out of the vehicle and put a gun to their throat, what do you do then?
Oh My God!

All of that nonsense you posted earlier today, and you're a cop?!? You should really go back to the academy for a good refresher in firearms usage and legal aspects of deadly force.

On to the counter-argument to your nonsense here:
You are advocating bringing a knife to a gunfight. If the guy is coming at you with something that will cause serious bodily harm or death, you NEED to get something that will end the fight quickly. A knife won't do that all the time. That is why people train and practice moving and shooting, oftentimes from retention.

Old 08-10-2007, 12:50 AM   #18

Default ok

you are right right about everything maybe if you hear it from someone you will shut up lol. apparently the training ive received in moyock and at the sig academy was all for nothing, and the 15 years of self defense training and knife and weapons training was pointless. next time ill do as you seem to think would be the right thing and just hand the guy my gun. it actually would probably work to my benefit because the distraction of handing him my weapon would allow me to break his stupid little neck while he was distracted. let it go man, i know you are pretty, get me a cup of coffee or just shut up lol. lets just agree to disagree, you use what you think is effective and i use what i know is effective. whatever right. jesus

Old 08-10-2007, 12:58 AM   #19

Default hmmm

actually i am just a little curious as to what you actually shoot at and what distances you are shooting at with your pistol. it might help to make a little more sense of why you are so confrontational and overemotional and angry over such an insignificant topic such as this? you tell me yours and ill tell you mine, ive never met a shooter that was 100% honest about his range distances and accuracy, there is always a slight amount of exaggeration. shooting accurately is not easy...well then again most people shoot at a static target that never moves, go figure, love those criminals that never move either, or the poor guy who spends years shooting from a static position and then forgets to move when the rounds are actually coming back at him. &#*#

Old 08-10-2007, 01:14 AM   #20

Default wanted to know

hey ranger, just wanted to know if it would be ok with you to print out this discussion, i thought that the guys on the STOP TEAM would get a real kick out of the banter between us, it was all in fun after all, wasnt it, no hard feelings? i mean we are all adults here, right? just wanted to see if you had any reservations over the other guys getting a good laugh. (by the way, they wouldnt just be laughing at you, i put a real effort into being a little silly as well)