Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Training & Safety (
-   -   Ultimate Non-Firearm Backup Weapon (

CaptainCappin 07-25-2007 03:13 PM

Ultimate Non-Firearm Backup Weapon
What do you guys think is the ultimate non-firearm backup weapon?

ranger_sxt 07-25-2007 05:03 PM

Your boots. Get the heck out of there.

bkt 07-25-2007 07:16 PM

That's a difficult question to answer. A firearm has its place, but so does your brain, so does a vehicle, so does a knife, and so do your boots (when the situation calls for it, high-tail it and run away!).

I keep rifles, shotguns and blades around. But I also know the area very well -- back roads, landmarks, trails, etc. I keep maps and a GPS with extra batteries in a bug-out bag in case my home is no longer safe.

Use your head. Know who you're with and what their limits are. Adapt as necessary.

BLS33 07-26-2007 02:11 AM

Depends on the situation, if you are in a gun fight a knife doesn't do much good now does it?

yoda185 07-26-2007 05:50 AM

a frag grenade works wonders in a crowded situation.

RONSERESURPLUS 07-26-2007 09:33 PM

Ultimate back up to a firearm?
Hello all

I've always prefered a smaller hide out gun like a small .38 Revolver or small auto, but if It can't be a fire arm, I'd say a good Boot knife or combat type folder, I've carried a Spyderco "Police" Model or a A.G. Russel STING 1A Boot knife, has backed me up well upon a jam or a had to have a weapon fast deals?

KevinG 07-30-2007 01:29 AM

First defense or backup defense coupled with what you are up against are important factors.

Many people see the firearm as the first and last line of defense and never train for defense without it.

My thoughts are, have tactics for self-defense were the firearm is the last resort (depending on the situation it may very well be the first line of defense).

Some of the best things anyone can do for self-defense training are to
  • Learn avoidance
  • Become skilled in empty hand defense (they have no weapons or they have edge or impact weapons)
  • Depending on the chances of various types of crimes in your area then choose secondary weapons according to this fact might help. It might be a secondary pistol, kubaton or knife

Personally past using my brain and empty hand skills my primary defense is either a Kubaton or new edition Gunting (Lapu Lapu Corto) by Bram Frank then comes the pistol.

Bear_Down 08-06-2007 07:07 AM

The wife on a bad day. Hows that for a defence weapon. SHE DON"T NEED NO STINKING BOOTS>

Ed21 08-06-2007 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Bear_Down (Post 5786)
The wife on a bad day. Hows that for a defence weapon. SHE DON"T NEED NO STINKING BOOTS>

I always have backup then. ;)

robocop10mm 08-07-2007 04:26 PM

A backup to the wife? That's a bad idea.