Training without Ammo

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Training without Ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 02:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default Training without Ammo

I am a relatively new handgun owner and shooter. I have a 9mm. In my area, 9mm ammunition is scarce. I am aiming to improve my grip (easy to do) and my trigger control. As I dig into trigger control, there are a lot of differing opinions on how to improve without going to the range.

I've read tons of articles and watched quite a few YouTube videos, but there does not seem to be a consistent theme.

"Dry fire."
"NO! Don't ever dry fire!"

"Use Air Soft."
"Air soft is useless, as there is no recoil."

"Use a training pistol."
"Don't waste your money on a training pistol."

I figured I would put this here to get some opinions on the best way to practice shooting without actually using ammunition.

In the absence of ammunition, how do you train?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-05-2014, 03:13 AM   #2

Liked 305 Times on 168 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Dry practice is, in my experience very good if done right. By right, I mean safely, and with the proper technique.

Let me look for a link I am thinking of...

Here: http://www.rangemaster.com/current-newsletter.html

Download or open, and go to page 8.

One thing you can add, if you carry concealed, is a fan blowing on you from different directions, so your cover garmet might not cooperate with you.

Last edited by Fred_G; 01-05-2014 at 03:23 AM.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:43 AM   #3

Liked 173 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_G View Post
Dry practice is, in my experience very good if done right. By right, I mean safely, and with the proper technique.

Let me look for a link I am thinking of...

Here: http://www.rangemaster.com/current-newsletter.html

Download or open, and go to page 8.

One thing you can add, if you carry concealed, is a fan blowing on you from different directions, so your cover garmet might not cooperate with you.

I dry fire practice. I always clear the gun and lock all live ammo back in the safe. I find it beneficial for all of the reasons stated in the article. It's just about the only way I can practice drawing and firing as all the ranges here do not permit holsters on the range.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:41 AM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
I am a relatively new handgun owner and shooter. I have a 9mm. In my area, 9mm ammunition is scarce. I am aiming to improve my grip (easy to do) and my trigger control. As I dig into trigger control, there are a lot of differing opinions on how to improve without going to the range.

I've read tons of articles and watched quite a few YouTube videos, but there does not seem to be a consistent theme.

"Dry fire."
"NO! Don't ever dry fire!"

"Use Air Soft."
"Air soft is useless, as there is no recoil."

"Use a training pistol."
"Don't waste your money on a training pistol."

I figured I would put this here to get some opinions on the best way to practice shooting without actually using ammunition.

In the absence of ammunition, how do you train?
I personally train with all above and teach my students to do the same.
They all have points that can help in areas, but you have to follow up with live fire.

NRA Instructor
Texas CHL Instructor
U.S. Navy Veteran

Old 01-05-2014, 05:17 AM   #5

Liked 2208 Times on 1517 Posts
Likes Given: 820

If you own a ruger dry firing will not hurt it. Ruger encourages their owners to dry fire all their pistols even rimfire pistols. The only modern centerfire pistols dry firing will damage are double actions such as the kel tec P11.

The Canadian military is known for their sharpshooters. They train with 22 rifles. There is little difference in training with a pistol or a rifle. In fact, a training pistol will help more than a rifle because all the shooting is done at close range. An air rifle champion won top shot a few years ago.

As a new shooter you need to shoot as many guns as possible. The gun club I belong to has 3 former national champions, a retired Olympic coach and two young shooters who are going to make a run at a national championship this year. They shoot any gun they can get their hands on. Everyone of them has an eight shot Maverick 88 that they use for trick shots, even though they shoot double barrels in competition. We all love hunting. No one hunts with a double barrel. How can you shoot three quail with a double barrel?

Old 01-05-2014, 07:09 AM   #6

Liked 1131 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 246

Find an NRA instructor near you and sign up for classes.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3145 Times on 1810 Posts
Likes Given: 1342

There are things called "snap caps" that, for some, are a good practice tool.

The bad thing about snap caps is that you have to triple check you are practicing with them and not live ammo. And when not practicing, you have live ammo and not snap caps.

These are designed to accept the firing pin hit without damaging a firearm.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 01-05-2014, 11:56 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
There are things called "snap caps" that, for some, are a good practice tool.

The bad thing about snap caps is that you have to triple check you are practicing with them and not live ammo. And when not practicing, you have live ammo and not snap caps.

These are designed to accept the firing pin hit without damaging a firearm.
The snap caps over here are completely red, also seen blue. Is there a color code in the US? Would be Kind of dumb to have a snap cap with no identification.

"Feuer Frei!"

Old 01-05-2014, 12:18 PM   #9

Liked 2208 Times on 1517 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
The snap caps over here are completely red, also seen blue. Is there a color code in the US? Would be Kind of dumb to have a snap cap with no identification.
When I use snap caps I use them in a room with no live ammo in it. I have never had a ND but I had a close call. Since then I unload my gun and go into another room with snap caps.

Snap caps have no color code like shotgun shells. I have 9mm and 357 snap caps, they both are red.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:18 PM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3145 Times on 1810 Posts
Likes Given: 1342

Most are red. I've seen inexpensive ones in Academy Sports. At the price, should they break, no problem. Just get some more.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)