Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Training a Toddler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 01:07 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5464 Times on 2854 Posts
Likes Given: 354

Default Training a Toddler

went by my lgs this morning before picking up the wife at the horse barn for our range day. i went by to compare in person the size of my new agent to the new xdm 45acp compact. surprisingly they were pretty close in thickness and height. the xdm of course is slightly larger in those dimensions but not undoable. the slide is a half inch longer.

anyway, there was a guy there with a 3-4 year old. the guy was handling every gun in the case. eventually he got to the lcp with a laser handed it to the toddler!! he said "whats a gun do?" the kid said "BOOM BOOM BOOM" pointing it down the isle...

its morons like that who give good decent gun owners a bad name. now i know who is responsible for the extra 5$ cost on firearms for those gunlocks. *sigh*

i did tell him that handing a gun to a toddler was the dumbest thing ive seen since obama's last state of the union address.

my give a sht factor at this point for stupidity is pretty low

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-10-2011, 01:41 AM   #2
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
went by my lgs this morning before picking up the wife at the horse barn for our range day. i went by to compare in person the size of my new agent to the new xdm 45acp compact. surprisingly they were pretty close in thickness and height. the xdm of course is slightly larger in those dimensions but not undoable. the slide is a half inch longer.

anyway, there was a guy there with a 3-4 year old. the guy was handling every gun in the case. eventually he got to the lcp with a laser handed it to the toddler!! he said "whats a gun do?" the kid said "BOOM BOOM BOOM" pointing it down the isle...

its morons like that who give good decent gun owners a bad name. now i know who is responsible for the extra 5$ cost on firearms for those gunlocks. *sigh*

i did tell him that handing a gun to a toddler was the dumbest thing ive seen since obama's last state of the union address.

my give a sht factor at this point for stupidity is pretty low
I dunno, i think i would rate it a few notches lower than even that last state of the union address. (Thats saying something)

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 12-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #3
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6959 Times on 4187 Posts
Likes Given: 8370

I agree, Jon.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:11 PM   #4

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have a 4 year old grand daughter and an 11 month old grand son - - - when the time is right I want to train each of them the proper uses and responsibilities of a firearm owner. Could this be at 5 years old?

Might be but I doubt it.

But it sure sounds like the young person there was way to young!

Just because the person has the money to acquire a firearm does not mean they have the common sense to know what to do with it!

Old 12-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #5

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

You can't fix stupid.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #6

Liked 9203 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I let my kid handle some "youth" rifles as young as 4 years old.
I kept a hand on the rifles myself (mostly to avoid a "you break it you buy it" situation).
While doing this, I was checking for size and for fit, looking to find one suitable for him, alas; he was just too small even for a Cricket.
Now that there are some rifles that fit him (he's six now) I just don't have the money laying around, but like I've said before, tax season is right around the corner!!

My point is, I've let my kid handle some, but I've never let him play with them.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #7
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwk4667 View Post
I have a 4 year old grand daughter and an 11 month old grand son - - - when the time is right I want to train each of them the proper uses and responsibilities of a firearm owner. Could this be at 5 years old?

Might be but I doubt it.

But it sure sounds like the young person there was way to young!

Just because the person has the money to acquire a firearm does not mean they have the common sense to know what to do with it!
Depending upon the maturity of the child, IMHO 5 is a good age to start the basics.

My youngest and his Crickett...around 5 or 6 y/o

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 12-11-2011, 06:10 PM   #8

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

The parents are the only ones to make that decision, on an individual basis, my oldest I felt was ready at 8 my youngest was 10.
I bought a .22 marlin from a pawn shop for $85 and took 6 inches off the stock with a hack saw, It was perfect for them. My oldest still uses the rifle 16 yrs later, just not held to his shoulder. When his daughter is ready she will learn with it too.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Was the kid pointing it at someone?

Old 12-11-2011, 08:31 PM   #10

Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

I recently trained my sister at 8 using a bb gun she know knows everythong there is about saftey with a firearm. We will have a pop quiz and warm up class next week when i take her to get her first cricket.

Have Gun....Will Travel