Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Training a Toddler (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/training-toddler-53301/)

JonM 12-10-2011 01:07 AM

Training a Toddler

went by my lgs this morning before picking up the wife at the horse barn for our range day. i went by to compare in person the size of my new agent to the new xdm 45acp compact. surprisingly they were pretty close in thickness and height. the xdm of course is slightly larger in those dimensions but not undoable. the slide is a half inch longer.

anyway, there was a guy there with a 3-4 year old. the guy was handling every gun in the case. eventually he got to the lcp with a laser handed it to the toddler!! he said "whats a gun do?" the kid said "BOOM BOOM BOOM" pointing it down the isle...

its morons like that who give good decent gun owners a bad name. now i know who is responsible for the extra 5$ cost on firearms for those gunlocks. *sigh*

i did tell him that handing a gun to a toddler was the dumbest thing ive seen since obama's last state of the union address.

my give a sht factor at this point for stupidity is pretty low

fmj 12-10-2011 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 647475)
went by my lgs this morning before picking up the wife at the horse barn for our range day. i went by to compare in person the size of my new agent to the new xdm 45acp compact. surprisingly they were pretty close in thickness and height. the xdm of course is slightly larger in those dimensions but not undoable. the slide is a half inch longer.

anyway, there was a guy there with a 3-4 year old. the guy was handling every gun in the case. eventually he got to the lcp with a laser handed it to the toddler!! he said "whats a gun do?" the kid said "BOOM BOOM BOOM" pointing it down the isle...

its morons like that who give good decent gun owners a bad name. now i know who is responsible for the extra 5$ cost on firearms for those gunlocks. *sigh*

i did tell him that handing a gun to a toddler was the dumbest thing ive seen since obama's last state of the union address.

my give a sht factor at this point for stupidity is pretty low

I dunno, i think i would rate it a few notches lower than even that last state of the union address. (Thats saying something)

winds-of-change 12-10-2011 04:14 PM

I agree, Jon.

gwk4667 12-11-2011 05:11 PM

I have a 4 year old grand daughter and an 11 month old grand son - - - when the time is right I want to train each of them the proper uses and responsibilities of a firearm owner. Could this be at 5 years old?

Might be but I doubt it.

But it sure sounds like the young person there was way to young!

Just because the person has the money to acquire a firearm does not mean they have the common sense to know what to do with it!

Sonic82 12-11-2011 05:17 PM

You can't fix stupid.

trip286 12-11-2011 05:27 PM

I let my kid handle some "youth" rifles as young as 4 years old.
I kept a hand on the rifles myself (mostly to avoid a "you break it you buy it" situation).
While doing this, I was checking for size and for fit, looking to find one suitable for him, alas; he was just too small even for a Cricket.
Now that there are some rifles that fit him (he's six now) I just don't have the money laying around, but like I've said before, tax season is right around the corner!!

My point is, I've let my kid handle some, but I've never let him play with them.

fmj 12-11-2011 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwk4667 (Post 648882)
I have a 4 year old grand daughter and an 11 month old grand son - - - when the time is right I want to train each of them the proper uses and responsibilities of a firearm owner. Could this be at 5 years old?

Might be but I doubt it.

But it sure sounds like the young person there was way to young!

Just because the person has the money to acquire a firearm does not mean they have the common sense to know what to do with it!

Depending upon the maturity of the child, IMHO 5 is a good age to start the basics.

My youngest and his Crickett...around 5 or 6 y/o

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...Picture919.jpg
http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/b...Picture920.jpg

undumb 12-11-2011 06:10 PM

The parents are the only ones to make that decision, on an individual basis, my oldest I felt was ready at 8 my youngest was 10.
I bought a .22 marlin from a pawn shop for $85 and took 6 inches off the stock with a hack saw, It was perfect for them. My oldest still uses the rifle 16 yrs later, just not held to his shoulder. When his daughter is ready she will learn with it too.

bearcreek 12-11-2011 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 647475)

Was the kid pointing it at someone?

jon1992d 12-11-2011 08:31 PM

I recently trained my sister at 8 using a bb gun she know knows everythong there is about saftey with a firearm. We will have a pop quiz and warm up class next week when i take her to get her first cricket.