Training outside of range?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Training outside of range?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 11:57 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Training outside of range?

So... after my hiatus, I've been hitting the range pretty heavily these past few weeks. It's been *all* pistol shooting.

Two schools of thought:
One group of experienced shooters (call them the old schoolers) say that strength training outside of the range (providing you spend at least two hours a week on the range) is not necessary. If your grip is getting fatigued then you're doing it wrong. The pistol is not so much "gripped" as guided.

The other group, also quite experienced (call them the techies), say that wrist/forearm/shoulder exercises outside of the range are really necessary to achieve perfection. Even the lightest full-size pistol will fatigue your arm (try holding it in the iso stance for 30 seconds and your arm can begin to tremble almost imperceptibly, but does tremble).

Both groups are experienced shooters and both shoot way better than I do. Now I think both are correct to a point. Maybe the trigger pull and weight on an "old school" revolver is sufficient that range training is also strength training.

What do you folks think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2011, 12:03 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2907 Times on 1676 Posts
Likes Given: 1257

Isometric exercises can help.
I like to dry-fire (after triple checking the firearm is unloaded) with an old mag that has the weight of a loaded mag.

Those pictures on the wall, the light switches, and bad guys on tv have all been "shot" at one time or another.

I guess I have a combination of the two.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-26-2011, 12:05 AM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Can you hit a target at 30 feet with reliability? You're good to go!

If you're planning on competition shooting, that is another story.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:36 AM   #4
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2017 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 604

Pellet guns and a trap. I shoot in my garage. I can also use 22CB caps in a rifle or Super Colibri in a pistol. My Remington pump likes the CB's. My CZ bolt does not.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am who I am and your approval is not needed.

Old 03-26-2011, 12:51 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default 30'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
Can you hit a target at 30 feet with reliability? You're good to go!

If you're planning on competition shooting, that is another story.
If the target is barn sized, I have a fair chance. Especially from inside the barn.

Seriously though, I'm not too bad. But want to improve. At 5 yards I can consistently hit inside a playing card sized area.

Old 03-26-2011, 01:18 AM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

A little off topic but:

I saw an interview with the ex LA police chief saying that in real life defensive shooting situations trained officers only hit a target with 1 out of 7 shots. That to him is reason to not let "untrained citizens" have guns.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 04-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
A little off topic but:

I saw an interview with the ex LA police chief saying that in real life defensive shooting situations trained officers only hit a target with 1 out of 7 shots. That to him is reason to not let "untrained citizens" have guns.
That's a result of poor training for the average LEO. Fighting with a firearm is not just all about marksmanship.

Old 04-08-2011, 02:01 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 142 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 156

In my 18 years as an officer I was in one shooting using one shot from the hip and made a one shot kill Heart & Lung using a Mod 15 38spl & Federal 110gr+P+

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:15 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

One thing you know for sure, is you aren't going to get any worse by being in better shape :P .

And I pull the trigger on an empty chamber at home about 15 or 20 times as much as I do on a live round at the range. It helped my pistol shooting TREMENDOUSLY.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:10 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
In my 18 years as an officer I was in one shooting using one shot from the hip and made a one shot kill Heart & Lung using a Mod 15 38spl & Federal 110gr+P+

While I am certainly not trying to stir the pot... I just have to say "wow," nice real world example of IGETEVEN's insistence in that Governor thread that a smaller caliber round would indeed penetrate far enough to stop a BG in his tracks... Very impressive shot placement.

Of particular note is that the ONE SHOT was obviously from an oblique angle, and NOT from a direct full-frontal attack, because the affected organs were the RIGHT lung and the HEART.

IMHO, I don't see any way (other than a magic bullet ) for a bullet to travel from the right lung into the heart while the BG is in a squared off position to the shooter.

This scenario would make a good "Hollywood movie" scene where one shot drops the BG in his tracks with a smaller caliber handgun.

armsmaster270, kudos on stopping the BG with a single shot!

Prescribed Fire is Mother Nature's plastic surgeon.