Training the Ladies - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Training the Ladies

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 12:10 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ViNoM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oklahoma,USA
Posts: 322
Default

I picked up a Taurus PT140 It felt good in my hand at the gun show. It was wasn't too heavy but when I took it to the range, the kick and the muzzle flip was so hard that it kept jamming the slide with the safety, or jamming a bullet up. I was never able to get more than 2 or 3 shots off at a time before it would jam.

A few years back I shot by brother's .38 revolver and .45 semi, (Don't ask me what kind of gun they were cuz I don't remember ) and they both had way less kick and flip and I was actually able to hit the target with both of them.

Now, I have a Ruger LCR revolver .38 special but I haven't had the chance to fire it yet cuz my work schedule has been pretty demanding of late.

I hear good things about it though, and see that it gets high marks here at FTF. It feels really nice in my hand. I think when I do actually get to fire it, I'm pretty confident I will not be disappointed.
__________________
ViNoM



Prescribed Fire is Mother Nature's plastic surgeon.
ViNoM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 03:53 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
wmille01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: south of louisville,Kentucky
Posts: 508
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

to be honest when I was training my gf to shoot a pistol (her dad did a good job teaching how to shoot a rifle) The first thing I handed her was a taurus model 66 4" barrel in 357 mag. She didn't do to great but it was her first time shooting something other then a .22, it was pretty nice. I agree doesen't make sense why people do this.
__________________
"ever man out here has a timer, no one know how long it will take but no one last forever"
Sargent Miller

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."
wmille01 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:03 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,282
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

If you want to teach your wife to shoot and to keep her self safe teach her NOT to carry it in her purse! It takes her an hour to dig around in there to find her KEYS what makes you think she can get to a gun fast enough, don't get me wrong, I wont shoot anything below .40 caliber, BUT they do make guns thin enough to conceal, although you may have to wear something a little loose, or wear a jacket, or an overshirt, or a vest,or anything! and I can ALMOST bet that I am smaller than YOUR wife, I am 4'9 102 pounds I STILL conceal. And, as a side note not all women have to learn on a .22 and move up, I learned on a .45 long colt, what did I learn on next? A .45 ACP it has nothing to do with starting her light unless she has arthritis! Just explain to her, and be real, tell her this wont bother you a bit, it's going to push back a little, just go with it, it will cause even more damage to the man that is threatening your LIFE and your children's lives. That said, don't be a jerk and hand her a .300 winmag without teaching her proper stance or technique.
__________________
Not all of us are trophy hunters.
Samples.32 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:35 PM   #14
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
winds-of-change's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Northern Illinois
Posts: 25,178
Liked 8663 Times on 5168 Posts
Likes Given: 11415

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samples.32 View Post
If you want to teach your wife to shoot and to keep her self safe teach her NOT to carry it in her purse! It takes her an hour to dig around in there to find her KEYS what makes you think she can get to a gun fast enough, don't get me wrong, I wont shoot anything below .40 caliber, BUT they do make guns thin enough to conceal, although you may have to wear something a little loose, or wear a jacket, or an overshirt, or a vest,or anything! and I can ALMOST bet that I am smaller than YOUR wife, I am 4'9 102 pounds I STILL conceal. And, as a side note not all women have to learn on a .22 and move up, I learned on a .45 long colt, what did I learn on next? A .45 ACP it has nothing to do with starting her light unless she has arthritis! Just explain to her, and be real, tell her this wont bother you a bit, it's going to push back a little, just go with it, it will cause even more damage to the man that is threatening your LIFE and your children's lives. That said, don't be a jerk and hand her a .300 winmag without teaching her proper stance or technique.
Very good post on several different levels. I don't carry but I have been told NOT to carry a gun in a purse. It only arms a purse snatcher and, as Samples said, who's going to have time to dig through a purse for a gun? Do you think a BG is going to let you reach into your purse?

And, Wow, Samples, You are SHORT. I am 4'11" and I though I was short...........
__________________
Honor Student: School of Hard Knocks
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritatus
winds-of-change is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:25 PM   #15
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Santa Cruz Mountains,CA
Posts: 14,922
Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Default

One advantage to being short is that your center-of-body-mass point of aim will put a bullet up under the ribcage into the heart of a 6' tall BG!
Vikingdad is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:04 AM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ViNoM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oklahoma,USA
Posts: 322
Default

If I was going to carry it in a purse, there would be a designated pocket where my hand would not have a problem getting in and out of, and the only item in there: the weapon. But then there is the purse-snatcher scenario...well now that, to me at least, is not a threat issue but an awareness issue. One should never carry a purse in a way that it can be taken from you.
__________________
ViNoM



Prescribed Fire is Mother Nature's plastic surgeon.
ViNoM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:12 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
gruntpain1775's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: butler township,Arkansas
Posts: 94
Default

I took my wife to a gun store after I let her try out some of my guns. She ended up buying a .38 snub. A few weeks later I put together an IDPA shoot and brought a Female reporter along to do a story on guns. She had never shot a gun before and we got a XD9sc for her to shoot. My wife shot it...ended up getting her one.

When it comes to women and fire arms a lot of people try to push off mouse guns and revolvers. Let them choose. Let them try different ones and pick.

That said, the reporter ended up having her other female reporter friend come to our next shoot and we taught her to shoot as well. And my wife...one hell of a shot. I wouldn't want to go up against her.
__________________
You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass- Trooper M. Padgett
gruntpain1775 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:21 AM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
skullcrusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ohio,Ohio
Posts: 10,949
Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICTIMNOMORE View Post
If I was going to carry it in a purse, there would be a designated pocket where my hand would not have a problem getting in and out of, and the only item in there: the weapon. But then there is the purse-snatcher scenario...well now that, to me at least, is not a threat issue but an awareness issue. One should never carry a purse in a way that it can be taken from you.
Well said, VICTIMNOMORE. No matter where a person decides to carry, they need to make sure they know how to protect not only the carry, but themselves. That takes practice and knowledge.

Welcome to the forum from a displaced Denverite.

If you want to, stop by the Introductions thread. If you don't then that is ok as well. If you have and I missed it, then I offer my apology.
__________________
From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!


Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!
skullcrusher is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:55 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ViNoM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oklahoma,USA
Posts: 322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Well said, VICTIMNOMORE. No matter where a person decides to carry, they need to make sure they know how to protect not only the carry, but themselves. That takes practice and knowledge.

Welcome to the forum from a displaced Denverite.

If you want to, stop by the Introductions thread. If you don't then that is ok as well. If you have and I missed it, then I offer my apology.
Why thankya very much skullcrusher (you can call me VNM ). Nice to meet another Rocky Mtn brother.

You can find my introduction here: http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f2/thought-i-might-well-make-official-40440/
__________________
ViNoM



Prescribed Fire is Mother Nature's plastic surgeon.
ViNoM is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Hey Ladies!!! Benning Boy The Club House 159 06-18-2012 05:56 PM
Easy Now, Ladies! gorknoids The Club House 9 10-30-2010 05:10 PM
For the ladies..... Gojubrian The Club House 3 05-20-2010 01:50 PM
One for the ladies slowryde45 The Club House 9 12-29-2009 03:02 AM
My Ladies dog2000tj AR-15 Discussion 0 03-19-2009 06:22 PM



Newest Threads