Training the Ladies
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Training the Ladies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2011, 06:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5011 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Default Training the Ladies

I continue to show up at the pistol range and find some "gun" guy teaching a female how to shoot a handgun which in itself is a good thing, however I'm confused by the choice of guns?

Most of them are pushing there female students to learn on "noisy crickets", IE, .380 or smaller mouse guns?

Why?

I have a wife of 20 years and 15 yr old daughter. Neither of them owns a pair of pants that would conceal a tube of lipstick, let alone a "pocket gun".

Ladies are just as able to shoot and carry a larger side arm and most of them choose to PURSE carry...so why in god's name would anyone try to introduce them to shooting with a pocket gun?

Fella's, come on...Pocket guns are meant for GUYS pocket, you know, the kind that are loose enough to conceal a gun...

We all know why some of us choose pocket guns. This is not about debating that issue. It's about the fact that you've finally gotten a woman you care about to take her safety seriously enough to get some training. Don't screw it up by punisher her with snappy, hard to shoot, crappy triggered mouse gun.

Just MHO

TACK

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8545 Times on 5097 Posts
Likes Given: 11165

Well said. When I was introduced to guns, the guy handed me some guns that would be fun to shoot and not hard to handle. I sincerely appreciate the fact he was kind and considerate enough not to scare me off or make shooting an unpleasant experience in any way. Needless to say, I had a blast and got hooked. This same friend suggested my first gun be a Ruger GP100, 6" barrel so the recoil would be minimal for that caliber and yet I'd have a gun that would be good for self protection.

My note to the guys, ease us ladies into the guns. I now will shoot anything you put into my hands. Now that I know what to expect.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 03-26-2011 at 08:42 AM.

Old 03-26-2011, 07:13 AM   #3

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Hell my daughter shoots my XD40 and loves it.

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 03-26-2011, 08:28 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3394 Times on 1943 Posts
Likes Given: 1462

When the niece started shooting, she turned into a junkie.
Started with .22, ran out of ammo,
Next a .38Spl, ran out of ammo,
Then a 9mm, ran out of ammo,
Then the .45 ACP. She was to the point of hitting a 2X4 every other time at 50 yards.

I can see progression to larger calibers, but don't lock the ladies in to a caliber.

Let them decide.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-26-2011, 01:42 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
I continue to show up at the pistol range and find some "gun" guy teaching a female how to shoot a handgun which in itself is a good thing, however I'm confused by the choice of guns?

Most of them are pushing there female students to learn on "noisy crickets", IE, .380 or smaller mouse guns?

Why?

I have a wife of 20 years and 15 yr old daughter. Neither of them owns a pair of pants that would conceal a tube of lipstick, let alone a "pocket gun".

Ladies are just as able to shoot and carry a larger side arm and most of them choose to PURSE carry...so why in god's name would anyone try to introduce them to shooting with a pocket gun?

Fella's, come on...Pocket guns are meant for GUYS pocket, you know, the kind that are loose enough to conceal a gun...

We all know why some of us choose pocket guns. This is not about debating that issue. It's about the fact that you've finally gotten a woman you care about to take her safety seriously enough to get some training. Don't screw it up by punisher her with snappy, hard to shoot, crappy triggered mouse gun.

Just MHO

TACK
While I agree that starting with a mouse-gun is wrong whether your a man or a woman. There is a down side to this logic however. I trained my GF on my Beretta 92 and now it is her Beretta 92.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Last edited by mesinge2; 03-26-2011 at 01:49 PM.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3317 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 1664

The issue that bothers me is they buy the lady some piece of C---- that from the beginning has a terrible trigger pull, poor accuracy and heavy enough to us for a boat anchor for $99.00. Remember you are allegedly getting this weapon to possibly save your, your family or someones life. My wife has a little Browning BDA in 380that I found used and in like new condition and she loves that pistol. And she is deadly with it. Of course with some of the new ammunition that is out now the lethal element has significantly improved for the 380 Pistol. For example the Winchester Silver Tips, Hornady Critical Defence and other well designed ammunition.
But another important issue is spending time with a good quality carry pistol or revolver to use it effectively. When her an I are out at the range I literally have her do different drills. And have advised her in protecting herself if she ever has to use it a minimum of three hits. I did not say to shoot three rounds and quit. *3 Hits at least! Remembering a person will do as they train!
She to say the least she is lethal with the pistol and one heck of a shot now that she feels comfortable and confident with her pistol. She is truly a lady, but I would not want to confront her and her 380.
One last thing in closing. From my experience with a little work on upper body strength. The ladies are very easy to teach if we take the time. Why! Because they to start with do not have any bad habits and they listen to what you say and pay attention to instruction! For you gals there's a big compliment for you! *And it is true!

Old 03-26-2011, 03:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesinge2 View Post
While I agree that starting with a mouse-gun is wrong whether your a man or a woman. There is a down side to this logic however. I trained my GF on my Beretta 92 and now it is her Beretta 92.

Is she still your girlfriend? If so, I'm sure you value her life more than the cost of replacing your 92 with a new one...heck, sounds like a good excuse to upgrade that replacement 92. Stainless? Nightsights? Have fun!

TACK

Old 03-26-2011, 03:18 PM   #8

Sounds like we have consensus on this issue.

Next I'll ask all of you to ALWAYS include a large pistol with a good trigger and at least 1 box of ammo for it EVERY time you go to the pistol range. If you happen to see some poor gal suffering behind a noisy cricket, please, do what I do...

Start a conversation, gain her and her "trainers" confidence, then talk her into squeezing off a few rounds from your, (1911, XD, SIG, Berretta, CZ75,) or whatever happens to be in your range bag, THAT YOU KNOW IS AN EASY AND FUN TO SHOOT GUN.

If handled properly you will turn a "this sucks" attitude into a "my teacher sucks" realization and hopefully create a new shooter who will one day be able to see to her own safety and in the process, wind up supporting our cause.

TACK

Old 03-26-2011, 03:55 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Is she still your girlfriend? If so, I'm sure you value her life more than the cost of replacing your 92 with a new one...heck, sounds like a good excuse to upgrade that replacement 92. Stainless? Nightsights? Have fun!

TACK
She's worth more than the whole collection, and I already replaced the 92

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 03-28-2011, 05:14 AM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9081 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

My wife of almost 20 years has "her" Beretta .25 Wildcat that her Daddy bought her "just in case". She has only fired it a couple of times since we married. I would like to get her interested in shooting some of the bigger guns but she refuses to. Both of our boys were shooting the .357 before they were 10 years old and now are shooting the .44 and the Garand. But she still sticks to her (one) gun and that is all.

I think her shooting experience was ruined with that one .25 auto.

On the other hand I am not a fan of the "teach them to respect guns by hurting them with their first experience" method of introduction. Our boys first shooting experience was with a .22 bolt action single shot rifle. They outgrew that in about 10 or so shots and I gave them the 10/22 semi-auto. Next range session they were shooting the Mini 14 and the lever action .44. Their first shotgun was a .410, then a 20 gauge that same day. Their first handguns were .22s, but they quickly moved into the .357 (same day) and they love to shoot anything today (except my Casull. That one will have to wait. Remember, I don't want to hurt them.)