Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Training involves firearms security (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/training-involves-firearms-security-85776/)

danf_fl 03-04-2013 10:09 PM

Training involves firearms security

Don't let your firearm get stolen:
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/04/17181482-assault-rifle-stolen-from-san-francisco-cop-car?lite

"The high-powered weapon is distributed to trained police officers so that it is at hand for rapid deployment during high-risk events, Esparza said."

Jagermeister 03-04-2013 10:16 PM

Wow, an AR 15 is now a high powered assault rifle. Geez!!!

danf_fl 03-04-2013 10:25 PM

If it is issued to "trained police officers", I wonder how things are with the "untrained police officer"?

Jagermeister 03-04-2013 10:31 PM

"The AR-15 assault rifle was the weapon used in last year's movie theater shooting in Aurora, Colo."

Really, the same one. That gun gets around. This writer is ignorant and the editor needs to pay attention.

JimRau 03-05-2013 02:45 PM

Those who control the narrative control the argument! That is why I stress to ALL not to be lured into 'talking their language'!;)

70cuda383 03-05-2013 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimRau (Post 1164386)
Those who control the narrative control the argument! That is why I stress to ALL not to be lured into 'talking their language'!;)

Yup, just like when the media shows a clip of someone shooting a fully automatic machine gun and says "assault weapons like this were used in every mass shooting in the past 5 years, we need to ban these guns now!"

ah...no. I'm willing to bet that it's been years, maybe even DECADES since a fully automatic weapon was used in the commission of a crime here in the US... unless the mexican drug cartels have engaged in shootouts with police recently?

JimRau 03-05-2013 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70cuda383 (Post 1164633)
Yup, just like when the media shows a clip of someone shooting a fully automatic machine gun and says "assault weapons like this were used in every mass shooting in the past 5 years, we need to ban these guns now!"

ah...no. I'm willing to bet that it's been years, maybe even DECADES since a fully automatic weapon was used in the commission of a crime here in the US... unless the mexican drug cartels have engaged in shootouts with police recently?

April of 93 I shot a guy, Gene Bayless, who shot and killed two people using an illegally converted Full Auto Ak in Co Sp, Co. Other than that I know of no other incidents.
But the point is if a FA weapon was used it was probably not legally procured by the criminal. ;) The NFA enacted in the 1930 made it very hard for the 'average' person to get a FA weapon. That Law too as been abused by the government!:mad:

danf_fl 03-05-2013 08:34 PM

Although it is difficult to get a FA firearm, it still is possible.

I don't believe that anyone who goes through the process as a civilian is going to freely use it in an illegal manner.

JimRau 03-06-2013 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1164846)
Although it is difficult to get a FA firearm, it still is possible.

I don't believe that anyone who goes through the process as a civilian is going to freely use it in an illegal manner.

My point exactly. They have to go through a back ground check which takes months, and the weapons are an 'investment' these days!!!

Tackleberry1 03-06-2013 08:23 PM

So... What happens to the SFPD Officer who left an unsecured weapon in the passenger compartment of an unmarked vehicle?

Back during my days with the 101st, had a "green pea" drop his M16A2 from a Black Hawk, while in flight back to the unit on day 30 of a 30 day FTX.

We spent the next 22 hours "on-line" conducting a police call for the missing rifle along the flight path until someone finally tripped over the butstock in waist high grass.

Damn thing had self buried up to the mag well in soft soil. The culprit was a private so there was not much rank to take but he still went from E2 to E1 with 30 and 30 "days of barracks restriction and extra duty".

Not to piss off any of our LEO's here but personally, I think a military service "requirement" would serve our Officers and communities better than much of the current "Bachelor Degree" requirements. Not knocking education, just observing the the majority of unsafe acts and loss of weapons I see, seem to be at the hands of Cops, who should know better.

Tack