Training Ideas
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Training Ideas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-24-2014, 11:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Training Ideas

Like a lot of people I have tried finding places where I can do some form of firearm, specifically rifle training. And, I entirely gave up on the idea. Only thing available are the very very basic courses, "long range" marksmanship at 100-300 meters, and stuff like that. Which is pretty sad.

So, my question is - what kind of training ideas/drills can you think of that require just a firing lane (or two), your rifle, and some ammo and are range friendly? So, nothing like transitions and stuff like that cause most ranges would not let you do that. Not around here anyway. Also, not as basic as malfunction and magazine drills

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-26-2014, 03:09 AM   #2

Liked 266 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Some of the answer depends on what kind of rifle shooting you want to learn .

For hunting with a bolt-action rifle, I'd concentrate on quickly assuming off-hand, kneeling and sitting positions with and without rests, squeezing off one accurate shot reasonably quickly and racking the bolt with the gun shouldered to ready a follow-up shot .

For sniper training and competition, I'd concentrate on the prone position with a bipod .

For service rifle competition, shoot the prescribed course of fire . Pay attention to eye relief changes from one position to another . Use a sling when permitted .

For practical rifle competition, videos online and on DVD by Jerry Miculek and Todd Jarrett should give you some ideas . Work on developing good habits for operating your chosen rifle such as tugging at the magazine to be sure it is locked into place .

Old 05-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The best option to learn firearm shooting is to go for firearm training class.There are a lot of great instructors out in the conceal carry class who are knowledgeable, upfront, and willing to take the time to trained you in all to learn advanced tactics such as malfunction clearing, combat and tactical reloads, proper use of cover,conceal carry information etc. From two months I am also getting trained in Massachusetts gun permit and my shooting skills really improved. Good instructors cover material in a thorough, step-by-step manner. Students begin with the basics and build upon the lessons learned as they progress into more advanced lessons.

Regard

Old 05-29-2014, 01:18 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 807 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 51

http://www.frontsight.com/Courses.asp

Old 05-30-2014, 06:37 PM   #5

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Thanks for the input, guys. The front sight courses definitely look like something good and fun to do, I actually think I saw links to that before on this site... but 2000 (or 1500) for a course? Thats well outside of my price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rentacop View Post
For practical rifle competition, videos online and on DVD by Jerry Miculek and Todd Jarrett should give you some ideas . Work on developing good habits for operating your chosen rifle such as tugging at the magazine to be sure it is locked into place .
This, on the other hand, sounds just about spot on

Old 05-30-2014, 06:39 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 807 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Don't know if they still do it but front site used to give an xd handgun to people who went to the courses

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 05-30-2014, 06:48 PM   #7

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Really? That would make it much more worth the money. Definitely need to research a bit.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:54 PM   #8

Liked 352 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 358

My own long range training was 600 yds courtesy of the USMC.

I noticed that the laws of ballistics hold true, and that the spread at 600 yds is 6 times the moa determined at 100 yds.

So you can take that much for granted.

If you program your bullet dynamics into any good online ballistics computer, you can get a perfectly good print-out and use that taped to your rifle stock.

Then just practice at 100 yds and tighten up your groups.
rem-700-300-rum-range-card.jpg  

Old 05-30-2014, 07:01 PM   #9

Liked 352 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 358

The general principles of marksmanship training involve the following:

- your grip on the weapon should be efficient, natural and comfortable;

- your body position while gripping the weapon should also be efficient, natural and comfortable;

- once you have establish what you think is an efficient, natural and comfortable grip and body position, close your eyes and relax for about 5 seconds, then open them and look and see where you are pointed with the sights -- this is your natural target position and you should rearrange your body until this coincides with your bullseye;

- breathing should be in, out, in, out, in and hold it, then squeeze off the trigger;

- trigger pull should be gradual and it should surprise you when the round goes off;

- your muzzle should not move at all when your hammer falls;

- you should keep aiming even after the shot and keep the sights on target.

Try all this and see if it helps you any.

Old 05-30-2014, 07:26 PM   #10

Liked 90 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Shouldn't the trigger be squeezed on the since we may not inhale the same amount each time? Where as generally when we exhale it is much easier to consistently let all of the air out?

I do like the above about a good ballistic print out and practice the 100 yard grouping. At the moment I'm limited to an indoor 25 yard, a public 100 yard and a private 100 range. The private one is part of a hunting club and if no else is using it nearly everything is open to try as long as safety is followed. Never know when somebody will come up the road that could suddenly be put in danger.