TRAINING DRILLS self/home defense
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > TRAINING DRILLS self/home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2012, 09:21 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts

Default TRAINING DRILLS self/home defense

Im interested in some training ideas/drills. Let me tell you my circumstances.
Im shooting a HP 995TS 9mm carbine. A S&W sigma 9mm pistol.
I have the basic fundamentals down for standing still, shooting at one target at the maximum effective range of these weapons on man sized targets.
I shoot on private property in the country.
Im looking for some suggestions on ways I can get good at quick target aquisition, quick reloads and under stress.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-14-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

This might be of interest. Enjoy!

Old 07-14-2012, 12:57 PM   #3

Liked 1859 Times on 1041 Posts
Likes Given: 1231

Have you though about joining a club? I am an DPA member. It costs $40 a year to join. Most clubs will let you try it out a couple of times before you join to see if you like it. They try to set up realistic scenerios. For instance...you would be in a parking lot headed for your car, when you find your self about to be mugged my three gang members. You will have to empty your gun and reload 2 twice while under stress and trying to use proper cover. We actually have old vehicles we can use for this type of stage. We sometimes have people start with their backs to the targets. They must turn and draw when the buzzer goes off. No one is allowed to draw before they are facing down range. If they did they would be disqualified. Safety is always first.

We have set up walls out of cardboard. You can build a hallway with doors to imitate clearing a house. Of course all the targets must be placed in a safe shoot direction. We often shoot on the move. There are stages where if you are not moving it will hurt your score.

It is easy to say you are trying to provide a stressfull situation to practice under. But that is dificult to do when you are the one that set up all the targets and you are the only one shooting. A buzzer going off behind your head telling you to draw your weapon puts real stress into the situation. Competition is always a good thing for training.

Joining a club is a great idea if it is a real club. Dont just go out with a bunch of people. Real clubs have very stringent safety rules. There is a safety briefing before every shoot. My club has been meeting for several years. It also teaches classes to get your concealed carry permit. It least one competition every month and a ccw class that requires 250 rounds fired. Not one accident! That is the type of club to join.

Click here to find a club in your area. http://www.idpa.com/clubs.asp

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:24 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967
Have you though about joining a club? I am an DPA member. It costs $40 a year to join. Most clubs will let you try it out a couple of times before you join to see if you like it. They try to set up realistic scenerios. For instance...you would be in a parking lot headed for your car, when you find your self about to be mugged my three gang members. You will have to empty your gun and reload 2 twice while under stress and trying to use proper cover. We actually have old vehicles we can use for this type of stage. We sometimes have people start with their backs to the targets. They must turn and draw when the buzzer goes off. No one is allowed to draw before they are facing down range. If they did they would be disqualified. Safety is always first.

We have set up walls out of cardboard. You can build a hallway with doors to imitate clearing a house. Of course all the targets must be placed in a safe shoot direction. We often shoot on the move. There are stages where if you are not moving it will hurt your score.

It is easy to say you are trying to provide a stressfull situation to practice under. But that is dificult to do when you are the one that set up all the targets and you are the only one shooting. A buzzer going off behind your head telling you to draw your weapon puts real stress into the situation. Competition is always a good thing for training.

Joining a club is a great idea if it is a real club. Dont just go out with a bunch of people. Real clubs have very stringent safety rules. There is a safety briefing before every shoot. My club has been meeting for several years. It also teaches classes to get your concealed carry permit. It least one competition every month and a ccw class that requires 250 rounds fired. Not one accident! That is the type of club to join.

Click here to find a club in your area. http://www.idpa.com/clubs.asp
I will look into that. Much appreciated!