Training drills

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Training drills

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 03:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Training drills

So after a year of patience my wife finally decided she was comfortable with having a handgun in the house provided we eventually get a small safe for it (no problem!). So after many visits to the local shops I eventually settled on a Ruger P95 from Scheels. The price was right and I left myself some leeway for an NRA pistol or CCW class in the future.

In the meantime I'd like to start spending more time at the range, but am not sure where to start. In college we shot multiple courses of slow, timed, and rapid fire with .22s on an indoor range at 25 feet with a target stance. I've looked for materials on where to start, but can't really find much on the subject. I'd like to avoid having to pay for one-on-one training, but would if necessary. I guess I'd like to know what distances to begin with and what sort of a pace I should set for myself. There's got to be a happy medium between having one eye taped, a hand in your belt, and a light trigger and tearing off 15 rounds and making the RO give you the stinkeye (or kick you out).

Does anyone have suggestions about where to begin? I don't mind taking classes or getting time with a trainer, but it seems like many of the non-NRA introductory classes don't even have range time and I've noticed the CCW classes are a lot more comprehensive in nature. I just feel I need to be more competent with my firearm before I take it.

Thanks much!

**EDIT: Nifty how the Similar Threads feature spots similar threads. Okay so I've read a handful of those and many seem geared to LEO. Would those still be appropriate for the new handgun owner? The first three drills listed here seem to be a little more down to earth.

Oz

"It is not easy to believe in the survival of civilisation... I think one must continue the politicial struggle, just as a doctor must try to save a patient who is probably going to die." – George Orwell

Last edited by phonedog365; 01-06-2011 at 03:45 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-06-2011, 06:39 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonedog365 View Post
So after a year of patience my wife finally decided she was comfortable with having a handgun in the house provided we eventually get a small safe for it (no problem!). So after many visits to the local shops I eventually settled on a Ruger P95 from Scheels. The price was right and I left myself some leeway for an NRA pistol or CCW class in the future.

In the meantime I'd like to start spending more time at the range, but am not sure where to start. In college we shot multiple courses of slow, timed, and rapid fire with .22s on an indoor range at 25 feet with a target stance. I've looked for materials on where to start, but can't really find much on the subject. I'd like to avoid having to pay for one-on-one training, but would if necessary. I guess I'd like to know what distances to begin with and what sort of a pace I should set for myself. There's got to be a happy medium between having one eye taped, a hand in your belt, and a light trigger and tearing off 15 rounds and making the RO give you the stinkeye (or kick you out).

Does anyone have suggestions about where to begin? I don't mind taking classes or getting time with a trainer, but it seems like many of the non-NRA introductory classes don't even have range time and I've noticed the CCW classes are a lot more comprehensive in nature. I just feel I need to be more competent with my firearm before I take it.

Thanks much!
Most, if not all CCW classes treat all of those in the class as if they have never handled a handgun before. There are several reasons ranging from the rapid influx of new shooters who likely have not in fact handled a gun to the downright safety aspects of covering all the very basic basics. A CCW class is in my opinion a great place to start out at.

If your concerned about meeting the requirements, I would recommend finding what the actual marksman requirements will be where you live and attempt to match them before going threw the class. If you have a friend who shoots, ask him/her to come along as well to give some pointers.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun