Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Training drills (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/training-drills-36481/)

phonedog365 01-06-2011 02:31 AM

Training drills

So after a year of patience my wife finally decided she was comfortable with having a handgun in the house provided we eventually get a small safe for it (no problem!). So after many visits to the local shops I eventually settled on a Ruger P95 from Scheels. The price was right and I left myself some leeway for an NRA pistol or CCW class in the future.

In the meantime I'd like to start spending more time at the range, but am not sure where to start. In college we shot multiple courses of slow, timed, and rapid fire with .22s on an indoor range at 25 feet with a target stance. I've looked for materials on where to start, but can't really find much on the subject. I'd like to avoid having to pay for one-on-one training, but would if necessary. I guess I'd like to know what distances to begin with and what sort of a pace I should set for myself. There's got to be a happy medium between having one eye taped, a hand in your belt, and a light trigger and tearing off 15 rounds and making the RO give you the stinkeye (or kick you out).

Does anyone have suggestions about where to begin? I don't mind taking classes or getting time with a trainer, but it seems like many of the non-NRA introductory classes don't even have range time and I've noticed the CCW classes are a lot more comprehensive in nature. I just feel I need to be more competent with my firearm before I take it.

Thanks much!

**EDIT: Nifty how the Similar Threads feature spots similar threads. Okay so I've read a handful of those and many seem geared to LEO. Would those still be appropriate for the new handgun owner? The first three drills listed here seem to be a little more down to earth.

BigByrd47119 01-06-2011 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phonedog365 (Post 416016)
So after a year of patience my wife finally decided she was comfortable with having a handgun in the house provided we eventually get a small safe for it (no problem!). So after many visits to the local shops I eventually settled on a Ruger P95 from Scheels. The price was right and I left myself some leeway for an NRA pistol or CCW class in the future.

In the meantime I'd like to start spending more time at the range, but am not sure where to start. In college we shot multiple courses of slow, timed, and rapid fire with .22s on an indoor range at 25 feet with a target stance. I've looked for materials on where to start, but can't really find much on the subject. I'd like to avoid having to pay for one-on-one training, but would if necessary. I guess I'd like to know what distances to begin with and what sort of a pace I should set for myself. There's got to be a happy medium between having one eye taped, a hand in your belt, and a light trigger and tearing off 15 rounds and making the RO give you the stinkeye (or kick you out).

Does anyone have suggestions about where to begin? I don't mind taking classes or getting time with a trainer, but it seems like many of the non-NRA introductory classes don't even have range time and I've noticed the CCW classes are a lot more comprehensive in nature. I just feel I need to be more competent with my firearm before I take it.

Thanks much!

Most, if not all CCW classes treat all of those in the class as if they have never handled a handgun before. There are several reasons ranging from the rapid influx of new shooters who likely have not in fact handled a gun to the downright safety aspects of covering all the very basic basics. A CCW class is in my opinion a great place to start out at.

If your concerned about meeting the requirements, I would recommend finding what the actual marksman requirements will be where you live and attempt to match them before going threw the class. If you have a friend who shoots, ask him/her to come along as well to give some pointers.