Training Courses
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Training Courses

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2007, 06:19 PM   #1
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 700 Times on 388 Posts
Likes Given: 729

Default Training Courses

Has anyone here taken any coursework or classes related to firearms?

Not Registered? Register now! - It's free and helps the community grow.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-10-2007, 06:29 AM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I've had a few classes, but what type of relationship to firearms did you have in mind?

Old 05-10-2007, 07:18 PM   #3

I've just simply taken a hunter education course when I was about 11.

Who are the militia? They consist of the whole people, except for a few public officials.
-George Mason, Framer of the Declaration of Rights, Virginia, 1776 , which became the basis of the U.S. Bill of Rights

Old 05-10-2007, 08:54 PM   #4

Here are a few of the courses I have completed:

Gunsite Academy; Pistol 250, Pistol 350, Pistol 499, Pistol Private Lesson, LE Instructor, Instructor Apprentice

TacTrain Skill at Arms Development; CCW, Battle Pistol Level-I through VIII, Battle Carbine Level-I through IV, Battle Shotgun Level-I & II, Battle Rifle PFR Level-I through VI, Concealed Carry, Two-Gun, Anti-Terrorism/Counter-Terrorism, Tactical Ground Rappelling Level-I & II, Armed Guard Level-I & II

A few NRA courses including personal protection, pistol, rangemaster, metallic reloading and Gabe Suarez along with pistol and shotgun courses with Security Enforcement Training Academy and some expert ratings with various small arms in the US Army, pistol, rifle, machinegun, bayonet.

Certified TacTrain, LLC Chief Instructor, certified DPS CCW and Armed Guard Instructor, certified NRA Instructor, 3 courses approved by AZPOST

Last edited by EagleSix; 05-10-2007 at 08:56 PM.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:19 PM   #5

Not being in, or near, any of the gun friendly states I've been limited to the NRA stuff. I'm now an instructor trainer for the MN concealed carry courses. Someday when my ship comes in I'll head out to Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, or something similar.

Old 05-11-2007, 09:36 PM   #6

I know for some CB, like yourself, some locations in the US are challenged with a Time/Distance issue for attending schools of substance and value. I hope you get to attend your choice of a big hitters soon.

There are also a lot of training organizations not so big whom offer quality classes which are value packed. Of course the same running issue is finding them. There isn't any national certification organization to offer referrals to students, so it makes it difficult for many to find them as opposed to other industries.

There are some Law Enforcement Orientated organization who publish a list of trainers, such as AZLET, whom for the most part provid quality training and are located all over the country in every state. Some of these trainers even offer civilian classes although not containing the exact content as the LEO versions. And of course there is the NRA, but they only list schools certified for NRA courses (...and again some of these trainers also offer other non-NRA classes).

I myself am not particularly fond of the NRA courses, although I have seen a recent attempt from the NRA to improve some of their courses which better suit the growing market for self-defense training.

In my area (Phoenix Metro) there are probably 125 training organization which are either active or semi-active. Of those I would say maybe 20 offer structured training courses of value to civilian students wishing to improve their self-defense skills. Out of those 20 there are less than 5 which provide what I would term "world class" or "best of class" type courses. They don't have the facilities like the bigger national schools do, but their instructors are "top-of-the-line" and provide value packed classes within the facilities restraint they operate under. So there are 3 million people in this area who have access to some top notch trainers within a 30 minute drive.

For those located in more sparsely populated areas and areas where the climate prevents year round training, I know it becomes an issue of time, distance and expense allocation to justify attending a structured training organization which might require overnight travel and several days of accommodations. I feel fortunate to live within 90 minutes of the school which started the civilian training school market way back when, by Col Cooper. Although Gunsite has fallen prey to multiple ownership since Jeff started it and has struggled to keep pace with others like Blackwater, nonetheless it was the model all others tried to copy and some have improved on. I haven't attended a class there for over 7 years, but still I feel good it is close and wish Mr. Mills the best in restoring Gunsite to a leadership position in the training schools industry.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:25 AM   #7

Default Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by notdku View Post
Has anyone here taken any coursework or classes related to firearms?
Yes, besides taking classes in security, I've had to take firearms training classes to carry a firearm on the job. I've also just become certified through the NRA as a firearms instructor in pistol, rifle, shotgun, and home firearms safety. All in all over a hundred hours of classes and range time to qualify. What are you looking to do, get or give classes?

Old 06-21-2007, 03:11 PM   #8

Default training

Wow, Eaglesix sound like you should be an instructor out there at "Frontsights" (I think in Nevada, around the Vegas area). I still think the NRA training courses are the best way to get started. From there you can go on to the "big boys" advanced or tactical training, if that's where your vocation leads you. The average armed citizen doesn't need all that, they need to learn SAFETY FIRST. There are already too many "Rambo" types out there with insufficent training, as well as regular folks who are just scared enough to buy a gun for self defense and then don't know how to use them or care for them. Wouldn't you agree?

Old 06-24-2007, 04:05 PM   #9

Default courses

blackwater and the sig academy offer some really good courses as well, they are pricey, but you get what you pay for, especially if you are looking for permits in ct and ma or fl, they accept very few classes as meeting their requirements to receive their respective state permits, but the sig academt courses are one of those few classes that are.