Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Training that "counts"

View Poll Results: Do you round-count at the range?
Yes 12 44.44%
No 12 44.44%
Never thought about it before 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2446 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Round counting is a habit you have to force yourself

to learn, but if you don't do it reflexively, it's

almost certain you won't do it when the chips are down.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:46 PM   #22

My vote: No.
I never round count due to my advanced tactical weapons training through the military. In one of our training scenarios you place your secondary weapon on safe and hand it to your buddy. They ensure it is on safe, load 1 to 3 rounds, might or might not chamber a round, check that the firearm is on safe, give it back to you. You don't know what their manipulation of the weapon was since you have your back to them. My unit trains to carry hot - chambered round, safety off, in holster. Exactly how we would carry in the middle east. So you will take it off safe and holster your secondary weapon. When the command is given to fire you react based on what happens and the subscribed number of shots you are informed to take. If your buddy loaded two rounds and did not rack the slide you will first pull the trigger since we train as we fight with a chambered round. Nothing will happen so you rack the slide, take the two shots, drop magazine, insert new magazine and fire the final 3rd shot. The purpose is to ingrain muscle memory while under stress because no firefight is alike.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:09 PM   #23

That is a good question. For tactical reloads I don't count because that is how I have been trained through the military. It is an approximation. (30 round capacity on our primary weapon). You don't want to run out of rounds at the same time as your buddies and all of you are reloading at the same time. We approximate when we have anywhere between 1/2 and 1/3 of a mag left. You will inform that you are reloading. Your buddy will continue to fire his weapon as you bring yours back online. When you come back online he will be close to dry he will fire until dry or do a tac reload himself. This staggers both of you during a fight and you should be approx 1/2 mag different and reloading at different times. After all your magazines have been used (some half or 1/3 full) one of you will continue to fire those partial mags as the other reloads.

Another reason for not counting is because you never know what is going to happen to your primary weapon during a firefight. You might get a double feed, stove pipe, etc. You will manipulate the weapon and drop a couple live rounds in order to do a quick functions check. Are you going to do the math that you fired 7 rounds, removed two rounds during a double feed, pulled the charging handle twice to extract another round to ensure everything is feeding properly while being engaged? No. You will react.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOK View Post
Why do you need to know how many rounds you have spent in order to do a tac load????
That is a good question. For tactical reloads I don't count because that is how I have been trained through the military. It is an approximation. (30 round capacity on our primary weapon). You don't want to run out of rounds at the same time as your buddies and all of you are reloading at the same time. We approximate when we have anywhere between 1/2 and 1/3 of a mag left. You will inform that you are reloading. Your buddy will continue to fire his weapon as you bring yours back online. When you come back online he will be close to dry he will fire until dry or do a tac reload himself. This staggers both of you during a fight and you should be approx 1/2 mag different and reloading at different times. After all your magazines have been used (some half or 1/3 full) one of you will continue to fire those partial mags as the other reloads.

Another reason for not counting is because you never know what is going to happen to your primary weapon during a firefight. You might get a double feed, stove pipe, etc. You will manipulate the weapon and drop a couple live rounds in order to do a quick functions check. Are you going to do the math that you fired 7 rounds, removed two rounds during a double feed, pulled the charging handle twice to extract another round to ensure everything is feeding properly while

Old 10-05-2011, 10:52 PM   #25

Liked 1279 Times on 802 Posts
Likes Given: 308

I do count. It is more of an OCD issue than tactical.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 10-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #26

Liked 2446 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

The origin of round counting for me was in 22 rimfire.

You don't want to dry fire the gun.

Some combloc weapons are similar.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:44 PM   #27

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I don't know of any shooters who cannot count rounds while shooting on a 1-way range.

I know of very few who are successful at round counting on a 2-way range.

If we in fact "do as we train", are we making the best use of our weapon (gray matter between our ears) by keeping it busy counting rounds, when there are many other more important dynamically changing considerations it should and will have to contend with, during a fight?

NO.....I do not count the specific rounds, but do have an awareness, most of the time, if I am approaching the moment to reload. The key word in that statement is "most". I think many veterans will testify, "most" really boils down to "seldom" when in battle!!!

I don't have a specific number, but I think I have probably made as many or more Speed/Stress Loads, as I have Tactical Loads, in combat. I'm a bit better at keeping track of how many loaded magazine I have left, than rounds I have fired. And, even that has surprised me from time to time!

Old 10-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #28

Therewolf,

I dry fire all the time including my .22. Part of my military training on weapons is spent dry firing in order to learn proper trigger pull, breathing, and sighting.
What is the worst that will happen? You will have to replace a few inexpensive pieces of metal compared to the inability to replace your life. Hmmm, I think I can deal with dry firing.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I always count. A defensive weapon is a weapon only as long as it works. If it's empty it's a rock.

C. M. Novess III KGCTJ
NRA Certified Instructor
Executive Firearm Training
Michigan CPL Class : Concealed Pistol License Certification : Concealed Carry Permit : Concealed Weapons Permit : Certification Class : CCW : Pistol Instruction : NRA Instructor : Executive Firearm Training

Old 10-13-2011, 10:59 PM   #30

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

....don't throw your rock....reload it....

(just teasing, I get your point)