Training that "counts" - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Training that "counts"

View Poll Results: Do you round-count at the range?
Yes 12 44.44%
No 12 44.44%
Never thought about it before 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

..wait-really? i thought a lot of us round count. i mean shouldnt that be a main stay for training? i know everyone leans on the M4 "meah, the bolt stays open. im good." hell this makes me feel better training with an AK. if you dont round count with an AK youre askin for it.

If Sam Colt made men equal, then John Moses Browning made some men better than others.

Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."

Old 09-10-2011, 12:23 AM   #12
AOK

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've been exposed to different school of thoughts. IMHO in a life/death situation you will likely not be counting rounds. I've come to agree with the school of thought to top off your gun when you can, not when you have to. So during large portions of my training or practice (whichever you would like to call it) I work on tac-loads after the "threat(s)" are neutralized and I have scanned the area for additional threats. If I go to slide lock I jam a new mag in and get back in the fight if the threat(s) still exist.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:22 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have seen the advantages to this, as such I have also "tried" it. I use the parenthetical version because I must have ADD or something. I get 4 or 5 rounds in and forget that I'm counting

Something witty belongs here....

Old 09-13-2011, 11:44 PM   #14

Here's something to think about: If you are counting rounds as you fire them, are you truly concentrated on hitting your target? If you're only shooting with a part of you (the other part is counting), do you expect to shoot your best? If this is how you train, only shooting with part of your attention, how can you expect to totally involve yourself in a SHTF situation?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 09-18-2011, 02:00 AM   #15

There are situations where round counting is valuable so it is worth practicing. I do it in a simplified fashion though. What I mean by this given 10 rounds I would fire in 2 round burst and count to 5.

Old 09-18-2011, 06:33 AM   #16

I do see the wisdom in keeping track of round count but I also see how in such a situation there may be too many thing that take precedence.

Interesting topic. Mist give it more thought.

The Mind is like a Parachute. It only works when it's open.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:42 PM   #17

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Unless I'm shooting for distance, where it's shoot-look-shoot-look,

I count.

With the pistol targets(5 on a paper, 4 corners and center)

try this- two at center, two at RH top, two at LH top, two at LH bottom,

two at RH bottom. Gets you shooting different centers and counting at the same

time...

Old 09-18-2011, 05:11 PM   #18

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I think that with a low round- count gun, I would definitely try to count, but with my 19+1 XD(m)9, I don't see a reason to do so. If I'm in a firefight that will empty my 20 rounds, I'm in deep $h1t, and would have to rely on my slide locked back or an opportunity to take cover!

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Old 09-20-2011, 12:52 AM   #19

If u do round count u can "tactical reload" if u do not u can only reload I count every shot . When the adrenaline starts pumping u forget every thing u told yourself u would do and only do what u have trained for so train hard my friends know your gun know your limits and learn how to count

Old 09-20-2011, 04:51 AM   #20
AOK

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailRoadTom View Post
If u do round count u can "tactical reload" if u do not u can only reload I count every shot . When the adrenaline starts pumping u forget every thing u told yourself u would do and only do what u have trained for so train hard my friends know your gun know your limits and learn how to count
Why do you need to know how many rounds you have spent in order to do a tac load????