Training that "counts"
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Training that "counts"

View Poll Results: Do you round-count at the range?
Yes 12 44.44%
No 12 44.44%
Never thought about it before 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2011, 05:35 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Default Training that "counts"

Hello again everyone.

I recently added a Diamondback DB380 to my firearms collection.The DB does not have a last round hold-open. This lead to me wonder...

Do you keep a mental count of how many rounds you have left if your firearm while at the range? Its OK, according to the manufacturer, to dry-fire this gun, but in a training environment it seems to me that knowing how many rounds you have left in the gun is important. If we will preform as we train, it makes logical sense. I had never considered the possible merits of round counting before this as I would just wait for a slide to lock back. However, now I can see where this could be valuable.

So, do you round count? No? Do you have a reason for either or?

I know I will be.

Thanks in advance.

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-09-2011, 08:22 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2969 Times on 1712 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

I don't "round count" most of the time. I use the empty weapon to see if I have developed a flinch when practicing (by trying to squeeze one more round) and to practice mag changes. I vary how many rounds I have loaded in each mag and lay them out, grabbing any mag at random.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 09-09-2011, 11:27 AM   #3

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I voted no, but really there should be another option in your poll: "SOMETIMES"

I can imagine a situation , say in Home Defense, where you would not want to empty your mag until you know the threat is gone or unless you have an extra mag. I have no formal training in that scenario, so hopefully others will post their opinion on it and we'll all get educated.

On the other hand, counting rounds implies thast the shooter expects to have an empty gun. I can tell you from personal experience that assuming the gun is empty is a mistake you NEVER want to make. This is why the safest practice is to always assume every gun you touch is LOADED.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA View Post

I can imagine a situation , say in Home Defense, where you would not want to empty your mag until you know the threat is gone or unless you have an extra mag. I have no formal training in that scenario, so hopefully others will post their opinion on it and we'll all get educated.

On the other hand, counting rounds implies thast the shooter expects to have an empty gun. I can tell you from personal experience that assuming the gun is empty is a mistake you NEVER want to make. This is why the safest practice is to always assume every gun you touch is LOADED.
I'm looking at this from a purely tactical standpoint. Take for example the I-Hop shooting. What if there was 2+ gunmen and you couldn't get out without seriously compromising yourself. Assuming that a shootout occurs with breaks in the action. Because I'm carrying a .380 I have 2 extra mags with me. With one in the tube and two in the mag, its time for a reload if there is a break in the action. If I never train to keep count at the range, I would never remember to do it in a real world scenario. That's what I'm getting at I suppose.

How many others practice this?

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 09-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #5

Liked 1788 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 1356

God forbid you’re involved in a shooting incident, I would think you’d want to know where all your bullets are all the time, before and after they’re fired. If you’re low on rounds, and you have an opportunity to load a full magazine, why would you take the chance and wait till you were empty hoping you’ll get another chance then?

Old 09-09-2011, 01:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
God forbid you’re involved in a shooting incident, I would think you’d want to know where all your bullets are all the time, before and after they’re fired. If you’re low on rounds, and you have an opportunity to load a full magazine, why would you take the chance and wait till you were empty hoping you’ll get another chance then?
That's the purpose of this thread. Do you practice counting rounds so that in a shtf situation you would naturally know how many rounds you had (and know if you should reload)? If you don't practice it, I don't think you would do it in a real life or death situation.

---Ron Paul

---Tom Braun

Old 09-09-2011, 01:18 PM   #7

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

I know what you're thinking. "Did he fire six shots or only five?" Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement I kind of lost track myself. But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Old 09-09-2011, 02:02 PM   #8

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVA View Post

I agree on the sometimes option but I voted yes because I do round count sometimes. However the way I look at it, is in a shootout I would be worried about putting rounds down range and on target. As a Marine I can't count that high anyways....lol no but really if you haven't been in a firefight believe it or not it is kind of like slow motion and muscle memory takes over more than anything so practice, practice, practice and when you think you are good practice some more!

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:00 PM   #9

Liked 2545 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1978

I count. Carefully.

The reason is my favorites, the rimfire 22s, can be damaged if you

dry fire them.

It doen't hurt to get in the habit with all the guns, then counting for the .22s

is a habitual, reflexive, muscle memory action, like checking to see if a

gun is loaded every time...

Old 09-09-2011, 04:08 PM   #10

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Treat Never Keep Keep = Treat every weapon as if it was loaded, Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot, Keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you intend to fire, Keep the weapon on safe until you are ready to fire. 4 safety rules. Rule for Gunfighting = Be polite. Be professional. Be Courteous, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.