Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Training (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/training-23303/)

njsportsman 02-11-2010 08:01 PM

Training
 
Looking for training in New Jersey or surrounding area. I live in Southern NJ; I am about 35 minutes from Philadelphia. I have found 2 already within a couple of hours. One being TRICON and the other MDTS. They both seem pretty reasonable price wise. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these two places or know of anywhere else that might fit my criteria. I am new to CCW and am looking for the best training available for the buck. Thanks

Jpyle 02-12-2010 02:02 AM

In New Jersey, the police are known to ask motorists if there are " any weapons in the car ". The correct answer, IMHO, is " no ". I say you should never tell a police officer who stops your car that you are armed and never have the gun where a diligent officer could see it by shining his flashlight all around. I realize you are carrying legally but "out of sight-out of mind ".

Do you live in New Jersey? If not how do you know what the police ask motorists? That's a pretty bold statement telling someone to lie to a LEO in a state where just about all CCW applications get denied. Illegal posession of a firearm in a car is a felony, having a cop stumble upon it after being told none exists can get you killed. Unless you are coming from the range or hunting, can prove it and your firearm is unloaded and out of reach you better know a real good lawyer.

skullcrusher 02-12-2010 02:02 AM

Just wow....and super bad advice in the legal area......

Shihan 02-12-2010 02:18 AM

I like learning from Soldier of Fortune Magazine articles.
Then I hone my skills and tactics on Call of Duty.

(meant as response to Rentacop)

user4 02-12-2010 02:44 AM

For the record, FTF does not endorse, support the legal advice of its membership, nor do we offer legal advice of any kind. Consult your attorney for legal questions regarding firearms in your state. Any legal opinions offered anywhere on this site are strictly the opinion of the poster and are in no way indicative of site endorsement.

Jpyle 02-12-2010 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njsportsman (Post 228924)
Looking for training in New Jersey or surrounding area. I live in Southern NJ; I am about 35 minutes from Philadelphia. I have found 2 already within a couple of hours. One being TRICON and the other MDTS. They both seem pretty reasonable price wise. Was wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these two places or know of anywhere else that might fit my criteria. I am new to CCW and am looking for the best training available for the buck. Thanks

Sorry but your original questions seems to have gotten lost. What type of training are you looking for, basic handgun safety, CCW qualification? Reason I ask is that NJ is a "may issue" state and a NJ resident CCW is virtually impossible to get unless you are retired LEO, politically connected or a Private Detective.

Most area ranges offer NRA approved training. Hague's in Thorofare, Bobs Little Sports Shop in Glassboro or Targetmaster in Chadds Ford Pa all offer basic, intermediate and advanced training. Many vendors also offer 1 day training for FL or AZ non-resident CCW. Again, it is useless in NJ but would allow you to legally carry in 29 other states I believe.

If you are South of Philly there is also a rather large facility in Atlantic County that offers a fairly broad range of training.

Welcome to Hague's Indoor Range

Targetmaster - firearm and self defense training, Delaware concealed cary permit training.

Ammunitions - Glassboro, New Jersey - Bob's Little Sport Shop & Indoor Pistol Range

Firearms Training Facility - Atlantic County Government

njsportsman 02-12-2010 02:04 PM

Jpyle, I am a NJ resident and have a Florida and Virginia CCW. I know I cannot carry in NJ and wouldn't dare to even try. This is a Gestapo State or as I like to say the Peoples Republic of New Jersey. Just biden my time before I move back to PA. I do spend a lot of time in PA hunting, camping and fishing. As far as training I am looking for CCW training awareness, situational. Something like this: http://www.mdtstraining.com/CPS_SERIES.pdf I am going to join a place called Pistol People in Bensalem, PA

And Jpyle remember: "Let's go Flyers and let's go Don Earle"

Jpyle 02-12-2010 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njsportsman (Post 229259)
Jpyle, I am a NJ resident and have a Florida and Virginia CCW. I know I cannot carry in NJ and wouldn't dare to even try. This is a Gestapo State or as I like to say the Peoples Republic of New Jersey. Just biden my time before I move back to PA. I do spend a lot of time in PA hunting, camping and fishing. As far as training I am looking for CCW training awareness, situational. Something like this: http://www.mdtstraining.com/CPS_SERIES.pdf

And Jpyle remember: "Let's go Flyers and let's go Don Earle"

Wow that's a throwback...Gene Hart was the man.

Rentacop 02-21-2010 05:14 AM

Gentlemen :
I was temporarily banned for supposedly advising people to lie to a police officer, but if there is no gun in your car, it would not be " lying " to answer " No ".

To clarify, I hereby advise everyone to always tell the truth to the police.
Rentacop
__________________________________________________ __________
People thinking of lying to the police ? What is this world coming to ?

skullcrusher 02-21-2010 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rentacop (Post 233719)
Gentlemen :
I was temporarily banned for supposedly advising people to lie to a police officer, but if there is no gun in your car, it would not be " lying " to answer " No ".

To clarify, I hereby advise everyone to always tell the truth to the police.
Rentacop
__________________________________________________ __________
People thinking of lying to the police ? What is this world coming to ?

Nice comeback. :rolleyes:

I do believe in the trunk under the spare tire is still "in the vehicle". Was not even regarding you own state laws, forget about any other state laws.

We take legal ownership and handling of firearms very seriously here. That includes transportation and possession. Not sure what you ment by "supposedly."


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:35 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.