Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Training with a .22lr pistol (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/training-22lr-pistol-695/)

swearlikeasailor 05-30-2007 04:50 PM

Training with a .22lr pistol

Training with a .22lr pistol, does it significantly improve your shooting with larger calibers?

What would be a more effective defense training? To shoot 400 rounds of .22lr a week with a pistol you won´t carry, or 40 rounds a week with your primary carry handgun?

Or maybe 200 rounds of .22lr and 20 rounds with the carry gun every week.

RONSERESURPLUS 05-30-2007 11:09 PM

Training with 22 Pistol

Hello all

RON L here = SERESURPLUS

I've advocated for years and praticed the habbit of shooting a 22 Pistol simular in feel and weight as well as an Air Gun for 300-500 Rounds a week, then Dry Fire main carry gun and 50 rounds of Pratice! Works for me, your results might varry>?

RON L

Splatter 05-31-2007 01:13 AM

Ja, I think Ron's got it right. The .22 is a great idea if it's similar to the carry gun.
Practice with my Walther OSP (super crisp 350g (about 12 oz) trigger, great sights, near-zero recoil, great hand-filling, wrist supporting grip) doesn't make much improvment in my shooting of a double-action .357Mag with fixed sights.

However, shooting an S&W M17 (.22 lr six shot 'K'frame) makes shooting the M19 (.357 six shot 'K' frame) second nature, esp since they both wear the same grips.

JoeLee 06-01-2007 07:53 PM

"Just the way I think"But one should practice/train with the primary carry piece,and plink with the others.

G21.45 05-28-2008 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swearlikeasailor (Post 2293)
Training with a .22lr pistol, does it significantly improve your shooting with larger calibers?

What would be a more effective defense training? To shoot 400 rounds of .22lr a week with a pistol you won´t carry, or 40 rounds a week with your primary carry handgun?

Or maybe 200 rounds of .22lr and 20 rounds with the carry gun every week.

:eek: Wow! You deserve some sort of prize. This is the toughest question I've seen all month!

I own a Smith & Wesson Model 41, and a Smith K-17 (Combat Masterpiece). Both are 22 caliber pistols. I practice with them a lot. Personally, I'm not a proponent of practicing with a small caliber handgun that's (almost) identical to whatever full-sized caliber you usually carry.

Instead, I emphasize, 'driving the basics' - especially when using a 22 caliber in order to duplicate the performance of your centerfire weapon. When I shoot 22 pistol I tend to: shoot faster, do more double and triple taps, draw, holster, and reload frequently. (Speed loaders are a necessity!) :D

If you want to get maximum value out of a range session, try a technique I, sort of, fell into many years ago: I start with 10 or 15 minutes of holster work AND dry fire practice. Then I go to live 22 caliber fire. I may stay here for 200 + rounds before I finish up with a minimum of 50 rounds of centerfire ammunition from my daily carry pistol.

By dry firing daily and training like this as infrequently as once a week, I've been able to keep my eye, recuperate from several serious injuries, and quickly restore my pistol combat skill sets. In my experience firing fewer than 50 rounds per range session ain't really going to do that much for ya.

You've just got to put more into it than that! ;)

matt g 06-03-2008 04:02 PM

Training with .22 LR can be very beneficial, especially if done with a .22 LR conversion like those available for 1911s. You're essentially shooting the same gun, you're just doing it with a cheaper and lower powered round. The cheap allows for much more range time, which is never a bad thing. The low powered round keeps you from developing bad habits like flinching and poor hold.

CARNUT1100 06-04-2008 04:54 AM

Precisely.
You will get better at draw, aim, and squeezing off that first shot, which is the most critical one of all.
Just make sure you do practice with the full power gun or you will always be expecting .22 recoil.

Boris 06-04-2008 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt g (Post 26587)
Training with .22 LR can be very beneficial, especially if done with a .22 LR conversion like those available for 1911s. You're essentially shooting the same gun, you're just doing it with a cheaper and lower powered round. The cheap allows for much more range time, which is never a bad thing. The low powered round keeps you from developing bad habits like flinching and poor hold.

MattG absoluty right, you are not going to use a 22 conversion to draw and point shoot. Well before that you need to use the sights and hit the target, hold groups, work on everything else, it's not about point shooting. I do not believe that using a conversion unity will tend to make you recoil shy when using full bore ammunition.