Train with what you have...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Train with what you have...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default Train with what you have...

There is a Quote that I like to repeat at times:

"Train with what you have, not with what you wish you have."

That quote has a lot of depth to it, and I believe it encompasses a mindset that many of us may forget too often. This forum has tons of fun threads that are full of pictures of fancy rifles/sidearms. Some members of this forum are blessed enough to have the funds to afford the "higher-end" weapons of the defensive world. There are many more members that cannot afford the same brands of weapons. Most of the members here own less expensive alternatives, or they may own a weapon that is deemed "un-practical" for defense purposes (i.e. a single shot rifle/shotgun, double-barreled, full length, shotgun, bolt action etc...).

The intent of this thread to get people focused on one thing, and one thing only:

How do I train and fully utilize the firearm I currently own, NOT the firearm that I want to own?

In order to be effective at defending our loved ones, we must take the time to look at the tools at our disposal RIGHT NOW. While you are reading this thread, take a second and make a quick mental list of what firearms you have RIGHT NOW. Are they auto-loaders? Revolvers? Bolt Action Rifles? Single Shot Rifles?

Once you have that mental list fresh in your head, ask yourself:

Can I utilize the firearms that I have RIGHT NOW to their full potential?

This takes some thought. It is against our normal reasoning to think of ways to properly employ something like a full sized, bolt action rifle in a home defense situation. We are conditioned by the current firearms community to buy something like a sidearm or a shotgun instead. What if you cannot afford another firearm purchase? What do you do? Do you give up?

The simple answer is NO.

You adapt to your situation, and you train with WHAT YOU HAVE not what you wish you have. If all you have is a single shot .22lr rifle, and you cannot possibly purchase anything else, then so be it. You train with that single shot rifle until you can put that single round into the head area of a target from any position.

Resist the urge to get caught up in the firearms cliques that preach "You MUST have the latest, greatest 1911/Glock/Sig/etc... to be truly effective at defending your life".

The firearms/defense community is one of the most discriminating groups in the world (if you don't believe me, look at the current arguments regarding the Hi-Point pistols, and the 1911 vs Glock, 9mm vs .45, autoloader vs revolver debates). Resist the urge to do the same, and concentrate on what is important: TRAINING TO DEFEND

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-24-2009, 01:01 AM   #2

Great post!

‘‘Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.’’
— Mahatma Ghandi, "Gandhi, An Autobiography", page 446

Old 06-24-2009, 04:18 AM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Excellent advice! The true weapon is between your ears.

Old 06-24-2009, 12:30 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The Revolutionary war was won with muzzleloading rifles and pistols. Over the course of a week during the Civil War, more American casualties were suffered than during the entire Vietnam conflict. Reliability, looks, and convenience are great motivators...but necessity is the best motivator of all.

Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-24-2009, 06:19 PM   #5

Liked 2057 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Good post and wise words. In Kentucky and Tennessee there is an old saying and that is, “fear not the man with many guns, but rather fear the man who only owns one gun because he knows how to use it”.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
Good post and wise words. In Kentucky and Tennessee there is an old saying and that is, “fear not the man with many guns, but rather fear the man who only owns one gun because he knows how to use it”.
Heard that many times from my Dad. I fear a man with a 30-06 that he has had since a kid. Hunts only with it. I am talking squirrels to bear. He uses alloy ball lead loads for rabbit and squirrel. Lives on the side of fancy gap mountain. Name is Clifford, kind of a hermit. I got to know him after I bought a place there. Nice guy, who has NEVER invited me or anyone else I know inside his home. Mean a$$ dogs, over grown one lane road in, 3 jeeps with winches. No phone, No TV, No woman. Nobody I know f's around his place. He bothers no one, and expects the same. Nam Vet, I do know. Only contact I've had with him in 3 months is he asked me to get him a Leopold scope at the shop and drop it off. I sent his back to Leopold for him. He was going to toss it. I drop off powder and lead at his request.

SIC SEMPER TYRANNIS

Don't blame the tool, blame the fool.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:16 AM   #7

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So what you're saying is if all we have is Airsoft, train with that right?

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 06-25-2009, 02:58 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

If you're still into playing with toy guns, sure...............

Old 06-25-2009, 04:51 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well done SGT. I also try to emphasize that you cannot practice drawing and dry firing your weapon often enough. Muscle memory will serve you well.

Last edited by user4; 06-26-2009 at 02:20 AM.

Old 06-25-2009, 07:01 PM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Yep. The worst thing you can do is purchase a firearm, then be afraid to take it out of it's case and actually handle it.