Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   Tragedy in my neck of the woods! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/tragedy-my-neck-woods-13151/)

dragunovsks 04-22-2009 04:52 AM

Tragedy in my neck of the woods!

This incident happened in Crawford county Indiana, which is the next door county to mine. This one hits pretty close to home because my wife grew up just a few miles from where this happened and we still have some family and friends who live in the area. I work with a guy who lives next door to the police officer in this story.

2-year-old dead after shooting self, gun belongs to reserve deputy sheriff | TOP STORIES | WHAS11.com | News for Louisville, Kentucky

dunerunner 04-22-2009 04:59 AM

Tragedy! Absolute Tragedy. My heart goes out to the parents, I can't imagine how the deputy reserve officer must feel.

Store your fire arms out of the reach of children!!

rugermike 04-22-2009 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragunovsks (Post 97763)
This incident happened in Crawford county Indiana, which is the next door county to mine. This one hits pretty close to home because my wife grew up just a few miles from where this happened and we still have some family and friends who live in the area. I work with a guy who lives next door to the police officer in this story.

2-year-old dead after shooting self, gun belongs to reserve deputy sheriff | TOP STORIES | WHAS11.com | News for Louisville, Kentucky

Absolutely uncalled for:confused:
What a shame. Even though I'm not a Glock fan for their stricker firing and lack of safety apperatus of them. It still wasn't the manufacture fault but it was the owner? You would think this would be unreal to happen, but it happens everyday, because of ignorant owners:(::mad::mad:

WomenofCaliber 04-22-2009 11:12 PM

This is a really sad story. My thoughts and prayers go out to the family. Loaded guns should never be around children without an adult present.

spittinfire 04-23-2009 01:15 AM

I have serious mixed emotions about this. I HATE to hear about a child being killed and my prayers go out to the family members and friends of family. Also the marriage, I can't imagine the stress something like this would put on a marriage.

At the same time, I question why a reserve deputy sheriff, someone who clearly should be trained in safe storage of firearms, left a loaded gun within reach of a 2 year old. This is a very serious failure in responsibility on this man's part.
The glock issue has been brought up, I'll leave that one alone. No matter how safe the gun, or number of safeties on it, the operator is still the #1 safety. I do not have children but I am married to a woman who I've had the pleasure of teaching proper firearm use and safety. We have also discussed what changes might be required in my storage once we do have kids. This includes a safe, including a bedside safe for self defense in the home. I think these issues should be discussed either before children or before firearms, whichever is the case.

dragunovsks 04-23-2009 06:37 AM

It goes to show that carelessness can strike anyone, even LEOs.

robocop10mm 04-23-2009 01:54 PM

Training (of the child) is the first issue. My kids learned from the time they could stand that guns were not toys. If they were mobile enough to get the gun, but not intelligent enough yet to comprehend, the gun was kept out of reach, ALWAYS. By age 4, they had their own set of hearing protection and were invited to come out to the range on the back acreage. They like to watch but had NO desire to handle or shoot till about 10 years old even though they were always invited to try. Taking the mystery out of it was a key. Their momma was raised in the country and saw first hand the results of .243 bullets on ground hogs and developed a very healthy respect for firearms from the time she could stand up.

Kids are curious. They are programmed to explore and learn. If they are not taught, they will find a way to learn. Sometimes the learning is final. That is sad.

dragunovsks 04-23-2009 04:00 PM

I was raised the same way your kids were raised, everytime my dad shot in the backyard I was allowed to watch and remember the first time I fired his AR-15A2.

Dillinger 04-23-2009 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robocop10mm (Post 98206)
Taking the mystery out of it was a key.

Kids are curious. They are programmed to explore and learn. If they are not taught, they will find a way to learn. Sometimes the learning is final. That is sad.

That is the key right there. We were raised the same way in our house and there was never a time when the gun was a "toy" - and, as Robo has indicated, there wasn't a need to "sneak a look" or go to a friends house to "play with a gun" because we were welcome to do that at home, at any time, but under supervision to make sure it was done correctly...

A true tragedy. My heart goes out to the family....

JD

Rex in OTZ 04-23-2009 08:17 PM

It all starts at home

Leading by example, the parents pass it on to the kids, that deputy most likely hadent the experence passed down to him by his parents, so how would he know to passit on to his family?, Ignorance is a big killer, from handling electricty to automobiles its all a learning process, proper storage of firearms is a big step, having the little ones know what them guns can do and that there not toy's to be messed with.
He may have been qualified to carry a firearm on the job but wasent qualified to carry one off the job?
The home is a dangerious place, A kid loose unwatched gets into household cleaners, bathroom vanity's, Mom's makeup stuff, jewelry, the home and toddlers is a special time and place to be (On the Job) the handgun just happened to be laying out when It should have been put away/locked up like the matches, the yatzee dice, the tylonol all should have been up away from the little one, they will get into that stuff if its down at waist height or accessable by chair.
Having a law enforcement handgun (work gun) at home loaded is a No No, if your not working its to be unloaded and locked up (Work property your responsability) suppose the kid was 4years old and got his hands on that loaded work gun & took it down to the playground to play cops and robbers or war?
Naw he should have left it in the work locked storage area or taken reasnonable precautions to disarm/secure it when he got home.
The loaded gun in the home bad idea
the loaded magazine in the home a bad idea
unsecured gun (outside a designated gun cabinet/storage box) in the home bad idea
If he was away and the home broke into that unsecured gun stolen and somebody got shot with it he would have been responseable for not takeing reasonable precautions to secure the firearm.