Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Took my youngest out this weekend for a few rounds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 09:01 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyerracing343 View Post
Very cool! Moments like this make appreciate how much my father taught me about shooting when I was younger.
Now that my dad is gone from this earth, I cherish the moments we had shooting together. Those memories with him will NEVER go away. You have just done the same thing for your son. Stick your chest out a little farther and walk proud knowing that you have FOREVER changed his life. Well done, Dad.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Shooting with your son or daughter...it just does not get any better than that, unless of course you can get your wife to come along too.

Old 10-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #13

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

That's a neat little rest...did you make it yourself?

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 10-26-2011, 02:29 AM   #14

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
I figured as much about him cocking his head after you said he was right dom. He definitely needs a gun that fits him.

I ask about the .22 as i have one that looks similar to that. Call it curiosity. I inherited it from my dad. The one here is a Win. 275 pump action 22 mag. Dads old fox gun.
FMJ
That .22 is a model 190 .. Dads had it a long long time also .

Old 10-26-2011, 03:31 PM   #15
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
FMJ
That .22 is a model 190 .. Dads had it a long long time also .
OK, Thanks. I think its the same thing as the 270/5 but its a semi and not pump action. cool rigs you dont see a lot of.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #16

Quote:
OK, Thanks. I think its the same thing as the 270/5 but its a semi and not pump action. cool rigs you dont see a lot of.
I have some of my grandfathers guns , and one of them I cant wait to get out and shoot is a springfield model 56 however theres no magazine so im waiting on that to get here , he also gave me a old 410 with a screw on choke that goes outside the barrel and another older either sears or monkey wards .22 bolt single with a neat little peep sight on it

Old 10-26-2011, 04:06 PM   #17
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
I have some of my grandfathers guns , and one of them I cant wait to get out and shoot is a springfield model 56 however theres no magazine so im waiting on that to get here , he also gave me a old 410 with a screw on choke that goes outside the barrel and another older either sears or monkey wards .22 bolt single with a neat little peep sight on it
NICE!! You know their old when they came from a mail order catalogue company!

Old 10-26-2011, 04:10 PM   #18

Quote:
NICE!! You know their old when they came from a mail order catalogue company!
yup those would have been the good ol days

Old 10-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #19
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2342 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1189

FMJ

That is great as I previously stated. And what a great idea! Sometimes local ranges have youth programs and competition along with some Boy Scout and state organizations. Later you can get him (as well as the girls) involved with the DCM Youth programs in your are. Some ranges have youth programs, or as you stated you might get with a Range in your area and start one. I know it would be more than rewarding to see them learn, improve and develop their skills.The kids from the DCM Youth Team Programs from all over the USA compete at Camp Perry each year and do fantastic!
A good friend of mine worked with the Illinois youth team at Perry for about 11 years. Which they won I believe 6 or 7 years out of the 11 at Perry. And a couple of the kids went on to shoot on the AMU the Army's top team. And were top gun at several of the Army's military competitions.
So keep up the good work with the son! I am excited due to the fact that my grandchildren are coming to Tennessee for the fall break visit starting tomorrow. He (12 YOA) and his dad will be bringing their rifles and pistol with them to shoot here on my range. And I will be checking my zero on my 7mm Rem Mag and zeroing my night vision on my AR for night coyote and pig hunting in Texas a week from tomorrow. I will get a kick out of them helping grandpa get the weapons and equipment ready for my hunting trip also. As you stated I will get more enjoyment out of watching them shoot their weapons and mine than I will doing it myself. Both the Grandson and Granddaughter will be shooting and helping me get ready. This will be the first time the granddaughter to shot! (10 YOA)
Can't Wait! God Bless all the Dads, Moms and Grandparents who help introduce the young to our sport and our love and respect for our weapons and Second Amendment Rights!

Old 10-26-2011, 04:42 PM   #20
fmj

Its funny you mention the DCM. That is where i got my true love for marksmanship. I will always remember how i HATED going to a sling and peep sights on those bolt action .22's from my Win. 61 with iron sights. (I was hell on wheels w/ that 61 in my misspent youth) When other kids my age were sitting at home on Saturday mornings watching cartoons, i was up early, riding my bike the 2 miles to the gun club, laying, sitting, kneeling and standing on the firing line. Listening to those two old marines calling my shots. "position 7, you sneezed and jerked that shot, settle down, BREATHE AND SQUEEZE!" I achieved my distinguished sharpshooter pin @16 and have many trophies from the competitions.

As far as i know there are no DCMs in this area. Any clue as to how i go about setting up/getting started with something like that?