Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Took my youngest out this weekend for a few rounds

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1107 Times on 718 Posts
Likes Given: 1978

Default Took my youngest out this weekend for a few rounds

He is 7 , never shot anything , so we went over some basic safety rules , how the gun worked and to never point it at anyone or himself .
So we got the pellet rifle out and he sent a few of those down range at cans and plastic bottles filled with water , then after about 30-40 shots we got the .22lr out and backed up a bit . I dont think he missed a single bottle or can with the pellet rifle at 15 yards . only missed 4-5 shots with the .22 and now he is addicted and wants to go again soon . I had a blast and watched/ supervised ever shot . He would even check to make sure the gun was clear after every 5th shot . Glad he had a good time and was interested and kept his attention on what he was supposed to be doing . When we left he said " Dad, I would like a BB gun for Christmas if thats ok " LOL I didnt say a word but im sure he will get it

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-24-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
fmj

Liked 749 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 306

That boy right handed w/ left eye dominance?

Is that a Winchester 270 or 275??

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 10-24-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Excellent! Well done Dad.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-24-2011, 05:11 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 32 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Very cool! Moments like this make appreciate how much my father taught me about shooting when I was younger. Thanks for sharing your experience. Keep the range reports coming

Old 10-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

yes , I know thats a big scope for the pellet rifle 3x9x40 but thats what I had laying around when I got the gun and I didnt have to buy another scope
Nope that pic is deceiving he is right handed and right eye dom.

Old 10-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #6
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
yes , I know thats a big scope for the pellet rifle 3x9x40 but thats what I had laying around when I got the gun and I didnt have to buy another scope
Nope that pic is deceiving he is right handed and right eye dom.
OH, OK, the way hes cocking his head makes it look like hes left eye Dom. My youngest is right hand, left eye.. so he shoots both eyes open and cleans house

What kinda .22 is that in the second pic?

Anywho, many years of fun are ahead of you guys. Sounds like you have created a monster....GOOD JOB! You should check out some cricketts for X-mas. Boys LOVE things that say "bang" when you squeeze 'em.

Crickett Firearms - My First Rifle - Youth Model 22 Rifles - Proudly Made In The USA

Shooting his Crickett for the last time...
he moved up to my '61 this day.

Crickett compared to the Win. 61...

Old 10-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Its way to big for him and I think thats why he is cocking his head to get over the stock , its a older winchester that belonged to my dad, as far as a model I would have to look at it

Last edited by purehavoc; 10-24-2011 at 08:03 PM.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by purehavoc View Post
Its way to big for him and I think thats why he is cocking his head to get over the stock , its a older winchester that belonged to my dad
I figured as much about him cocking his head after you said he was right dom. He definitely needs a gun that fits him.

I ask about the .22 as i have one that looks similar to that. Call it curiosity. I inherited it from my dad. The one here is a Win. 275 pump action 22 mag. Dads old fox gun.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:04 PM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2131 Times on 1064 Posts
Likes Given: 1089

God Bless you gentlemen!
Keep those youngsters shooting and interested in our sport and the second amendment for the future. That is flat GREAT!

Old 10-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
fmj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
God Bless you gentlemen!
Keep those youngsters shooting and interested in our sport and the second amendment for the future. That is flat GREAT!

truth told, I get a bigger kick out of kids getting excited and learning marksmanship than i do about dropping 5 in the same ragged hole anymore. I really need to find or start a class/competitions around here for youngsters. Have looked as the wife and I want to get the boy into shooting comp. like i did as a youngster....more importantly the boy wants to shoot comp.