Tips on improving second tap accuracy?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Tips on improving second tap accuracy?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Default Tips on improving second tap accuracy?

I noticed that my second shot in a double tap is drifting low and left by about 3" - 4" at 7yds, worse as the interval between shots gets smaller. My goal for the next months is to improve that. I know practice and practice and practice is the major part of this process, but was interested in any tips you all might have.

I have been looking for a heavier gun per some suggestions, but outside of equipment, what other techniques have you used to improve the second shot?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My thinking is that your left hand (assuming you are right handed) is exerting more/stronger pull than it should.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:10 PM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Second shot accuracy is determined by how you control the recoil of the first shot. An improper grip will allow the gun to recoil along the path of least resistance, typically up and in...flex your wrist and see what the more natural direction is.

To control the recoil's muzzle flip you should adjust your grip so that the recoil force comes straight back and that the gun's weight will drop it straight down with the sights coming back on target.

And yes, practice practice practice.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 04-23-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:21 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Thank you for the tips. Here's one of today's targets. Glock 17 at 7 yards. I keep on dropping the second shot and it's pretty obvious from this image..

And here's a second group where I shot even faster. Embarassingly imprecise, even missed the target completely on one shot... The ones in the 9 circle are the first half.. The second tap drifts left and low..

As bad as these are, I hope just copious amounts of range time will improve things..

Old 04-22-2011, 03:26 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

This next is left handed rapid fire with a Walther P22. There are a couple 9mm hits on the target on the bottom left.

Old 04-22-2011, 03:43 AM   #6

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Not all that bad...they are all on target and would effectively end a threat...nobody says that the edges of a double tap have to overlap. Some would argue that the damage caused to multiple areas of the body may induce zero BP quicker than two closely placed shots.

How to shoot a double tap

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-23-2011, 01:40 AM   #7

As stated, it's more than likely your grip, follow through and maybe a little to much speed. A controlled pair should be fast, but to fast and you are sacrificing accuracy for speed. The hand and wrist that holds the weapon should remain ridged and firm, allowing the weapon to pretty much come back on target after the shot.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:33 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2804 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 1220

I have seen that when people release the completely between shots, they have trouble with the "double tap".

With practice, release the trigger just enough for the action to reset, then pull the trigger again. Go slowly at first. With time, you will be "setting" the trigger on the recoil of the first shot.
Trying to "slap" the trigger for the second shot is something to avoid.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 04-24-2011, 02:34 AM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1864 Times on 1010 Posts
Likes Given: 570

Cheat! Use duplex loads. I have some 357's that are loaded with 2-36 caliber (000) balls. They hit about an inch apart at 7 yards. The 410 buckshot load is 3 000 balls.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 04-24-2011, 12:04 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Durn, headed out to try these tips and found out that the range was closed today :/

I think you gentlemen are spot on and the problem may be my grip and trigger method.