Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Training & Safety (
-   -   Tips From Army Marksmanship Unit (

SGT-MILLER 01-13-2009 12:29 AM

Tips From Army Marksmanship Unit
Some good basic tips for all the shooters out there.

Shooting on the move:

Quick reloads:

Shotgun reload tips:

I think these may be good to watch and adapt to fit your own needs.

Chester 01-13-2009 03:34 AM

Thanks Sarg.

montveil 01-14-2009 02:42 PM

Great stuff! Kind of awe inspiring for the beginner. I'm sure I don't want to come up against anyone you might have trained

SGT-MILLER 01-14-2009 04:09 PM

In case anyone may be wondering. I am not on this team. I just found these vids on youtube on thought they were very informative.

I am instructor qualified, but not on the Army Marksmanship Team.

These guys are pimps.:cool:

P.S. I've been following these guys techniques for a little while, and I'm hoping someday I'll get my reloads as fast as they can.

SGT-MILLER 01-14-2009 04:27 PM

Here's a good video giving some basic close range techniques. Good stuff, I think.

Stuie 01-14-2009 09:10 PM

I think after downing 3 pots of coffee I couldn't even reload at half their speed.

matt g 01-14-2009 11:07 PM

If you leave one one in the tube, you avoid having to release or rack the slide. If you let your magazine drop free, you save time by not putting it back into a case or your pocket.

It's actually pretty easy to reload that quickly if you know your piece well enough and practice reloads.

mattbatson 01-17-2009 02:55 PM

the shooting part would be much more impressive if there was actually any recoil on those guns:rolleyes:

SGT-MILLER 01-17-2009 04:31 PM're right. These guys are such noobs for using guns with low recoil....................

mattbatson 01-18-2009 05:54 AM

personally, I carry a handgun in as large and powerful caliber as can be reasonably handled. Obviously, a 44 magnum is probably too much recoil ( and probably much more power than needed on a person). I carry a 45 shooting 230 grain hollow points at @820fps.
If I wasnt worried about self defense (or was punching holes in targets for a trophy), I might shoot a lighter bullet at less fps.

I do shoot a ruger markIII on occasion, and am actually very fast with it (understandably so).

So, I guess it all depends on what you are trying to do.

Punch holes in paper really fast, or train for reality