time for my son to learn to shoot....hes 4 years old - Page 5

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > time for my son to learn to shoot....hes 4 years old

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #41
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7333 Times on 4411 Posts
Likes Given: 9024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone_South View Post
He's pretty good for 4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspump86 View Post
That was me...lol
Hahaha............

My granddaughter is 6 and I've let her shoot my pistol BB gun a couple times. The trigger is a little hard for her but she had fun. That's as far as I've taken shooting with her so far.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:16 AM   #42

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I've posted about this before but,,
I started my son out as soon as he could hold a nerf gun about basic gun safety, then at 5 got him his own red ryder, laying a good safety foundation all the while, after that he got a pellet gun around 8, After proving he was mature enough got a 702 mossy plinkster 22. at 10. As someone above was saying, now after years of no pressure, positive reinforcement , fun bonding time with my lil sidekick I can say he's the safest shooting buddy I got, hell I can clear any firearm, then hand it to him and he will everytime clear it himself, sometimes ill try to get one over just to see and hand him (unloaded) a rifle/ pistol and just tell him don't worry its not loaded,, he'll just look at me like I'm stupid and before anything will clear it himself,, I'll jokingly say I told you it wasn't loaded. He'll say that everybody can make a mistake, even you dad. He got a ruger 1022 for christmas and next one he gets his pistol haven't decided caliber yet but he says he want a 40 like dad, more likely a small wheelgun.
Long post wrapping up, be patient, have fun, positively pound in SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY and you will have the best shooting buddy ever.
Ps. Here's a pic of last christmas night after all day holding, examining, absolutely proud of his new 22, his first real gun. He fell asleep in the livingroom floor holding it.(mag out,, cleared 1k times)

forumrunner_20130110_021147.jpg   forumrunner_20130110_021449.jpg  

Old 01-10-2013, 01:41 PM   #43

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear304inc
I've posted about this before but,,
I started my son out as soon as he could hold a nerf gun about basic gun safety, then at 5 got him his own red ryder, laying a good safety foundation all the while, after that he got a pellet gun around 8, After proving he was mature enough got a 702 mossy plinkster 22. at 10. As someone above was saying, now after years of no pressure, positive reinforcement , fun bonding time with my lil sidekick I can say he's the safest shooting buddy I got, hell I can clear any firearm, then hand it to him and he will everytime clear it himself, sometimes ill try to get one over just to see and hand him (unloaded) a rifle/ pistol and just tell him don't worry its not loaded,, he'll just look at me like I'm stupid and before anything will clear it himself,, I'll jokingly say I told you it wasn't loaded. He'll say that everybody can make a mistake, even you dad. He got a ruger 1022 for christmas and next one he gets his pistol haven't decided caliber yet but he says he want a 40 like dad, more likely a small wheelgun.
Long post wrapping up, be patient, have fun, positively pound in SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY and you will have the best shooting buddy ever.
Ps. Here's a pic of last christmas night after all day holding, examining, absolutely proud of his new 22, his first real gun. He fell asleep in the livingroom floor holding it.(mag out,, cleared 1k times)
Good stuff. Thats awesome.
Too late for nerf guns.
We shoot each other with them (cops and robbers).