Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > time for my son to learn to shoot....hes 4 years old

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 114 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspump86 View Post
We tried it out yesterday.
We had our PPE on.
There was no accidents.
He liked shooting.
Loved it??? Maybe not.
He took about 15 shots.
I haven't been able to get him to really aim using the sights.
But he is holding it correctly.
He is more interested in his toy guns he doesn't have to be so careful with LOL.
We will keep working on it.
Cool. As I said just don't push him too hard. I know it's hard. I'm a Dad who loves to shoot and I very much want my boys to love it too but if we try too hard we can ruin any fun they may have.

Maybe have him outside with his toy guns watching Dad have a blast shooting. It may tweak his interest more if he sees how much fun you are having.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #32

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone_South

Cool. As I said just don't push him too hard. I know it's hard. I'm a Dad who loves to shoot and I very much want my boys to love it too but if we try too hard we can ruin any fun they may have.

Maybe have him outside with his toy guns watching Dad have a blast shooting. It may tweak his interest more if he sees how much fun you are having.
Yea. That's a good idea.

Old 12-20-2012, 02:31 AM   #33

Liked 24 Times on 12 Posts

I have a hard time with my 3 year old and the noise I want him to watch and enjoy the shooting weekends as my best friend also has a 3 year old who watches I tried earmuffs he Likes wearing them I don't know why he bails after the noise...any ideas to help

Old 12-20-2012, 06:19 AM   #34
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7329 Times on 4248 Posts
Likes Given: 9429

With my boys, now ages 15 and 17, they were taught from Day 1 all of the Eddie Eagle safety rules and these applied to all guns, real or toys (the toys that look like "real" guns- not Super Soakers and that sort of thing). My boys do not treat toy guns any differently than they treat a real one to this day.

When they were about 7 or so years old I gave them each a copy of the NRA Firearms Safety Rules and told them when they had them memorized then we would start working with handling real guns. These days they are absolutely some of the safest people you will ever see on the range.

Eyes and ears must always be worn when shooting. They carry ear plugs with them everywhere they go, and frequently eye protection as well.

Bad habits are very difficult to break, so if you see anything that will develop into a bad habit put a stop to it now. don't put it off until next time.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:17 AM   #35

Liked 43 Times on 27 Posts

My daughter is 4 and she shoots her. 22 cricket and loves it she has to tuck the stock under her arm but that wont stop her. I dont expect her to have all the safety rules memorized but she knows not to touch the trigger, a guns always loaded, and she walks around with the muzzle down. I didnt think thats to bad for a 4 year old. But, we still have years to prefect safty

Old 12-20-2012, 07:50 PM   #36

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

For what its worth my best friends kid is 6 and I shoot with him all the time. 10/22 Rifle is too big for time to really handle so he has to prop it up on the table. He can handle my Ruger Mark III handgun no problem though. We started him out on real guns . We never let him shoot by himself. i.e. we are always standing behind him or touching him/guiding him the correct way. Hes got the hang of it, and likes my pistol the most.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:32 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 756 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspump86 View Post
Hi everyone.
I want to start teaching my 4 year old boy Gun safety & how to shoot.
Just my opinion. I think a four year old boy is much too young to be introduced to shooting. Again, my opinion. I'd wait a while down the road.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #38

Liked 3678 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 619

Id talk about shooting and how much fun it is. Then talk about the range before and after going.

...all the while I'd tell my kid, 'you can shoot too when you're a grown up.'

Kid will be begging to go.

I'm sneaky like that.

America has fought wars across the globe, because we kept our firearms while others let dictators take theirs...

Old 12-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #39

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin
Id talk about shooting and how much fun it is. Then talk about the range before and after going.

...all the while I'd tell my kid, 'you can shoot too when you're a grown up.'

Kid will be begging to go.

I'm sneaky like that.
I like that!

Old 01-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #40

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Been shooting since I was 4. I'm 22 now. Got my first .22 at age 6. My kids will come up the same way.