thumb over thumb finger displacement
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > thumb over thumb finger displacement

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 05:03 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Default thumb over thumb finger displacement

Hey all,

A few months ago i transitioned from crossed thumbs to thumb over thumb. While i find that thumb over thumb gives me better contact with the gun, i find myself readjusting my support hand fingers after each and every shot (shooting .45). If i don't do that, i am essentially shooting one handed after 2 or 3 shots because the recoil knocks my support hand off my strong grip hand. I move my fingers very quickly when redoing my support hand grip so my rate of fire isn't affected. It just doesn't seem very optimal and combat ready.

Let me know what you guys think!
Thanks!

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Last edited by 2ndAmendmentFreedom; 03-06-2013 at 05:06 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I use the thumb over thumb method and i love it. I shoot a G35 in 40 caliber. I find for shooting with this pistol in its stock form i have to extend more of my thumb along the frame of the pistol to tame the muzzle flip but after some practice it becomes second nature. I would recommend you try it out and practice more.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3053 Times on 1756 Posts
Likes Given: 1307

Push with dominant hand, pull with support. (But not too much.)

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2024 Times on 1199 Posts
Likes Given: 990

I crossed my thumbs(one thumb over the other) when shooting a revolver for MANY years. When I went to the auto I found the crossed thumbs caused me to 'twist' the gun a little which caused me to be less accurate with the auto. I changed the the parallel thumb placement ( I guess this what you are describing as thumb over thumb) and I shot much better.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 03-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #5

Location: City of the Crooks (Chicago),Illinois - Crook County
Liked 24 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 41

I use cross thumbs on revolvers too, I'm just wondering how stable your support hand is when you shoot thumb over thumb since there is nothing really holding the two hands together.

"It causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand of the forehead so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name" Revelations

"So you say your prayers and you thank the lord, for that peace maker in the dresser drawer"

Old 03-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 809 Times on 589 Posts
Likes Given: 233

I was taught the cross thumb for my Colt Series 70 Gov. and revolvers. I like it best, and that is what I have used for forty years (holy crap, 40). However, I do teach the new parallel thumbs. Just can't get used to the new way.

"...from my cold dead hands" Charlton Heston & NRA
"He which hath no stomach to this fight,/ Let him depart." Henry V

Old 03-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #7
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1391 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1026

When you get right down to it, there are no "methods" except your own. Take a two-handed grip and you modify it until you're comfortable with it, it feels natural and you're consistently hitting what you're trying to hit.

If you think of it in baseball terms, a pitcher has to comply with ironclad rules about coming to the set position, back foot on the rubber, etc., but the mechanics of his actual delivery are his own. It's the same with shooting.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:45 PM   #8

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

If your gun is moving in your hand from recoil, then your not gripping it hard enough...at least, in my opinion.

I use the same grip on everything I shoot, although it's been a few years since I've shot a revolver (I don't own one)

I never seem to have a problem with guns shifting in my hand or having to readjust my grip.

Maybe you should try shooting strong hand only, and weak hand only for a bit. that may help you with your 2 hand grip and no longer have the issue of the weapon shifting in your hand

Old 03-07-2013, 01:11 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 213 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 12

60-70% of the grip should be with your support hand. It sort of sounds like the ball
of your support hand thumb is sliding where it contacts the grip panel. If so, go to
a more aggressive grip material. Try a little strip of skateboard tape where the support
hand cotacts the grip and see if that works. Most decent hardware stores carry
rolls of material for stair treads. Same stuff as skateboard tape and sold by the foot.
Put a strip of it on the frontstrap if it isn't checkered too.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:15 PM   #10

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Push with dominant hand, pull with support. (But not too much.)
That push and pull that you stated is exactly the way I was taught by the US Army. I use the side by side thumb when shooting combat with a Colt 45 but if shooting in NRA 3 gun we were taught to have the shooting hand thumb up. I never did like it but it did not affect my scores so I did as trained. I shot on the Army Pistol team for 18 years and we all shot as per trained. But the push-pull was the main thing that kept us shooting without losing our grip. Sarge PS I have the Gold Excellent in Competition medal so I must have been doing something right.

If a man strikes you on the cheek
Being a Christian the only thing you can do
Is to help him up off the ground.
Sarge