Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Training & Safety (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/)
-   -   thumb over thumb finger displacement (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f55/thumb-over-thumb-finger-displacement-85905/)

2ndAmendmentFreedom 03-06-2013 04:03 PM

thumb over thumb finger displacement

Hey all,

A few months ago i transitioned from crossed thumbs to thumb over thumb. While i find that thumb over thumb gives me better contact with the gun, i find myself readjusting my support hand fingers after each and every shot (shooting .45). If i don't do that, i am essentially shooting one handed after 2 or 3 shots because the recoil knocks my support hand off my strong grip hand. I move my fingers very quickly when redoing my support hand grip so my rate of fire isn't affected. It just doesn't seem very optimal and combat ready.

Let me know what you guys think!
Thanks!

PrinC 03-06-2013 04:18 PM

I use the thumb over thumb method and i love it. I shoot a G35 in 40 caliber. I find for shooting with this pistol in its stock form i have to extend more of my thumb along the frame of the pistol to tame the muzzle flip but after some practice it becomes second nature. I would recommend you try it out and practice more.

danf_fl 03-06-2013 05:40 PM

Push with dominant hand, pull with support. (But not too much.)

JimRau 03-06-2013 07:52 PM

I crossed my thumbs(one thumb over the other) when shooting a revolver for MANY years. When I went to the auto I found the crossed thumbs caused me to 'twist' the gun a little which caused me to be less accurate with the auto. I changed the the parallel thumb placement ( I guess this what you are describing as thumb over thumb) and I shot much better.

2ndAmendmentFreedom 03-06-2013 08:29 PM

I use cross thumbs on revolvers too, I'm just wondering how stable your support hand is when you shoot thumb over thumb since there is nothing really holding the two hands together.

25-5 03-06-2013 11:15 PM

I was taught the cross thumb for my Colt Series 70 Gov. and revolvers. I like it best, and that is what I have used for forty years (holy crap, 40). However, I do teach the new parallel thumbs. Just can't get used to the new way.

7point62 03-07-2013 11:09 AM

When you get right down to it, there are no "methods" except your own. Take a two-handed grip and you modify it until you're comfortable with it, it feels natural and you're consistently hitting what you're trying to hit.

If you think of it in baseball terms, a pitcher has to comply with ironclad rules about coming to the set position, back foot on the rubber, etc., but the mechanics of his actual delivery are his own. It's the same with shooting.

70cuda383 03-07-2013 11:45 AM

If your gun is moving in your hand from recoil, then your not gripping it hard enough...at least, in my opinion.

I use the same grip on everything I shoot, although it's been a few years since I've shot a revolver (I don't own one)

I never seem to have a problem with guns shifting in my hand or having to readjust my grip.

Maybe you should try shooting strong hand only, and weak hand only for a bit. that may help you with your 2 hand grip and no longer have the issue of the weapon shifting in your hand

BillM 03-07-2013 12:11 PM

60-70% of the grip should be with your support hand. It sort of sounds like the ball
of your support hand thumb is sliding where it contacts the grip panel. If so, go to
a more aggressive grip material. Try a little strip of skateboard tape where the support
hand cotacts the grip and see if that works. Most decent hardware stores carry
rolls of material for stair treads. Same stuff as skateboard tape and sold by the foot.
Put a strip of it on the frontstrap if it isn't checkered too.

sarge_257 03-13-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1166050)
Push with dominant hand, pull with support. (But not too much.)

That push and pull that you stated is exactly the way I was taught by the US Army. I use the side by side thumb when shooting combat with a Colt 45 but if shooting in NRA 3 gun we were taught to have the shooting hand thumb up. I never did like it but it did not affect my scores so I did as trained. I shot on the Army Pistol team for 18 years and we all shot as per trained. But the push-pull was the main thing that kept us shooting without losing our grip. Sarge PS I have the Gold Excellent in Competition medal so I must have been doing something right.