Thought I would share - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Thought I would share

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2011, 04:04 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Oh the joys of dealing with E-nothings. I could shut down this site with the amount of stupid I have seen joe do. As far as weapons safety though....ugh! Every time we went to the range the first thing I said after the safety brief was reminding them that SSG Grunt can and will lay hands on you and beat the ever loving snot out of them. I have bent clearing rods over heads, body slammed and in one instance a kids face found the sole of my boot. It works, they generally only do a safety mistake once. But that's how the Infantry does things when it's live fire time

Love the baby pie Chief. I had a few parents call me to complain as well. I usually gave them some colorful words and explained that not only will their son be getting some extra love from me, but never call me again. I had to call some parents to. It's amazing, I could punish a kid all day everyday and not get through their skull....call mommy or daddy and it's like they magically straighten up.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:41 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntpain1775 View Post
Oh the joys of dealing with E-nothings. I could shut down this site with the amount of stupid I have seen joe do. As far as weapons safety though....ugh! Every time we went to the range the first thing I said after the safety brief was reminding them that SSG Grunt can and will lay hands on you and beat the ever loving snot out of them. I have bent clearing rods over heads, body slammed and in one instance a kids face found the sole of my boot. It works, they generally only do a safety mistake once. But that's how the Infantry does things when it's live fire time

Love the baby pie Chief. I had a few parents call me to complain as well. I usually gave them some colorful words and explained that not only will their son be getting some extra love from me, but never call me again. I had to call some parents to. It's amazing, I could punish a kid all day everyday and not get through their skull....call mommy or daddy and it's like they magically straighten up.
Trust me, I know the feeling! Although technically, I can't hit them because I'm a commissioned officer...I get my point across. One of my favourite methods is I punish the entire company for one person's mistake. And the person who made the mistake gets to stand there and watch. If they really screwed up, I make them blow the whistle that sends their team mates a drilling. Manual labour always does the trick. There's always a deck that needs some scrubbing, a few toilets that need some cleaning. And I'll make you do it with a tooth brush.

Yeah when parents call me complaining here's my usual response: "Hi Sir/Ma'am! In regards to your son, he joined the United States Navy because he wanted to serve his country and be pushed to his limits. It is the Navy's sincere wish that your son is able to properly defend himself, if such a need is to arise. Therefore, as his primary Drill Instructor at the moment, that is my responsibility, and I intend to my job. Since your son feels like calling and complaining, it shows that I'm not doing my job, and will have to show him some extra attention. Good day, don't call again." Then I hang up.

Did you ever notice it was always the guys who called their mothers and bitched? Its never the girls.

"I CAN'T SEE MY BALD HEAD IN THIS BULK HEAD, SAILOR! WHY IN THE HELL NOT? AM I NOT PRETTY ENOUGH FOR YOU TO SHINE IT SO I CAN SEE MY BALD HEAD?" ~Lt. Vincent Folvs~

"Let the Marines storm the bunker and get shot at. We'll just blow their asses up from 50 miles out to sea." ~Admiral Josh Chinres~

"If you hit your head on my ship, you'd better not get your blood on my deck, Sailor." ~Ensign Vincent Van Burq~

Old 04-08-2011, 01:42 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNWO View Post

Did you ever notice it was always the guys who called their mothers and bitched? Its never the girls.
Technically, I wasn't allowed to hit them either. But in the Infantry world some rules go out the window in the field and there is a safety violation. After all, I'm just trying to gain control of an unsafe weapon...if someones face gets in the way that's their problem. lol

And never noticed about the girls, I was smart enough to pick a job where they were not allowed

Old 04-08-2011, 02:15 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruntpain1775 View Post
Technically, I wasn't allowed to hit them either. But in the Infantry world some rules go out the window in the field and there is a safety violation. After all, I'm just trying to gain control of an unsafe weapon...if someones face gets in the way that's their problem. lol

And never noticed about the girls, I was smart enough to pick a job where they were not allowed

Hahaha I like the way you spin things, Staff Sergeant!

"I CAN'T SEE MY BALD HEAD IN THIS BULK HEAD, SAILOR! WHY IN THE HELL NOT? AM I NOT PRETTY ENOUGH FOR YOU TO SHINE IT SO I CAN SEE MY BALD HEAD?" ~Lt. Vincent Folvs~

"Let the Marines storm the bunker and get shot at. We'll just blow their asses up from 50 miles out to sea." ~Admiral Josh Chinres~

"If you hit your head on my ship, you'd better not get your blood on my deck, Sailor." ~Ensign Vincent Van Burq~

Old 04-08-2011, 03:48 AM   #25
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8842 Times on 3828 Posts
Likes Given: 1368

Not to play one upsmanship, but in the pre-M203 days, we had the M79 40mm grenade laucher. We also had a lovely group of trainees that included folks known as "McNamara's 100,00". These were folks in Mental Cat IV that had previously been barred from service.

Imagine, if you would, one of these "challenged" people in the prone firing position with a grenade launcher, with an HE round loaded. He has the sights so screwed up he is about to shoot the toe board 10 ft in front of him. Told one of my NCOs to clear him off the line, and do remedial training. Sgt told him to CLEAR HIS WEAPON, and stand up. He immediately put the butt of the loaded weapon on the ground, began to stand, and fired the HE round- STRAIGHT UP.

After about 6-7 seconds of reviewing my past misdeeds and errors, round impacted about 40 meters to our front. No harm, no foul, no casualties. Trainee last seen in company of my Sgt headed for the range shack.

BTW, the 40mm HE eound has a 5 meter kill radius. If you are within 5 meters of the point of impact, there is better than a 50-50 that someone will be collecting your GI life insurance.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #26

Lord have mercy. Damn recruits.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:10 AM   #27

Liked 178 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Things have certainly changed since I learned about attitude adjustments on the practical deck at Great Mistakes in '86. Our "DI"s were CCs, Company Commanders, and you NEVER called them DI's, they would snap off HARD, "Ricky, get down there and push Illinois away, NOW!!". We never had anyone lay a hand on us, they would refer to the Chief who dropkicked a Rick in the 70s and broke his back. It wasn't needed to lay a hand on, as we had very few out of our company ASMO. We were far more worried about having MED stroke our chit and having to go play "indoor tennis" with the SEALS. *shudder*
Never heard about anyones' parents calling in to cry, but that WAS 25 years ago, attitudes can change.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #28

Trust me, I know the feeling! I was in SEAL training about that time.

I actually got a nice e-mail from someone I trained 2 or 3 years ago.

Quote:
Hey Lieutenant! I guess I owe you an apology and a good bit of thanks. See I'm stationed in the Middle East, on a patrol boat. And we were out running our normal route, when a band of pirates tried to take over the ship. Now the rest of my crew were scared and was thinking about their families State side. I don't have any family state side, you know that, so they are my family, and I guess I was thinking about them. I took out the pirates all by myself! Thanks to you and your crazy-ass training, I knew what to do. So thanks for being so crazy, and iron-sided. You probably saved me and my family.

Have a good one.

Old 06-12-2011, 06:15 PM   #29

Liked 1739 Times on 898 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Um, I just read this thread and while I don’t know much about guns compared to youse guys, I know a little bit about safety training. I’m just wondering; Don’t new recruits have to take a class, or attend a lecture, or something, and pass a written test before they’re allowed in the same county with live ammunition?

Old 06-13-2011, 03:17 PM   #30

Liked 2493 Times on 1422 Posts
Likes Given: 1943

Quote:
Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
Things have certainly changed since I learned about attitude adjustments on the practical deck at Great Mistakes in '86. Our "DI"s were CCs, Company Commanders, and you NEVER called them DI's, they would snap off HARD, "Ricky, get down there and push Illinois away, NOW!!". We never had anyone lay a hand on us, they would refer to the Chief who dropkicked a Rick in the 70s and broke his back. It wasn't needed to lay a hand on, as we had very few out of our company ASMO. We were far more worried about having MED stroke our chit and having to go play "indoor tennis" with the SEALS. *shudder*
Never heard about anyones' parents calling in to cry, but that WAS 25 years ago, attitudes can change.
Went thru there in '75. We were barracked out on the third floor,

winter-time. How cold was it?

We would spit out the window, and count how many times our spit

froze, and cracked before it hit the ground. If it only cracked once,

we knew we would be OK. If it cracked twice, well, that was normal.

If it cracked three times, we knew we were in for a rough day...