Thinking about being a Volunteer officer

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Thinking about being a Volunteer officer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 08:54 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Thinking about being a Volunteer officer

So i have previously considered becoming a police officer. But decided against it as a career choice and went into business with my dad instead. Now I'm thinking about it again, once the business is off the ground i would really like to apply for a reserve volunteer officer. I understand that a reserve has to go through the same background checks, and training as a career officer and kinda have a general idea of it (a high school friends dad did reserve for over 20yrs)

I kinda want to hear from some of the officers on here tho.
Is it a good idea?
what should i expect?
or would it be best to try to get a ride along and ask all my questions then?

I think deep down i've always wanted to be a LEO.. my moms 4 brothers were all officers at one point when i was little. And i think that kinda stuck with me a bit.

Thanks,

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-27-2011, 09:52 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I think you should defently try to get a ride along. Alot of your questions will be answered there and it would be a great exp for you. Well for becoming a reserve officer. Each county is differnt and have differnt protocol. So do your research. Have you ever thought about the military and becoming an MP or SP depending on branch of service. You could get some real good experince that would help you if you do decide to become a police officer and best of all your schooling would be paid for. Well thats all i really have to say.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:14 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2858 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 254

We have two levels of Reserve Deputies, Basic and Advanced. The Basic Reserves cannot nomally operate SO vehicles and must work with a regular Deputy or Advanced Reserve. The Advanced Reserves can work independently, but are still subservient to the regular Deputies.

All Reserves are required to work at least one 10 hour shift/month, but can average that over 3 months.

Ride out with a few regular officers to make sure you are in synch with the personnel you will be working with. You do not want to find out they are all A-holes.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-28-2011, 06:14 PM   #4

I was in the Reserve Sheriff in Baton Rouge for 5 or 6 years. You don't get to meet many good people, you get to see the vermin of the population, some that will shock the sensitivities of a 'civilized' person. Working Juvenile was the worst.

Good luck !

Old 04-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #5

yea a ride along is definitely gonna be needed. another thing for volunteering is that maybe it could be something to fall back on.. with the economy going the wrong direction.. who knows if my business will be successful.. maybe i can volunteer then if needed i could apply for full time and will have the experience with the department already.

Old 05-01-2011, 01:49 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Default Reserve Officer

I got my feet wet in law enforcement as a Reserve Deputy Sheriff in Mobile County, Alabama as a member of the Sheriff's Flotilla, essentially a water search & rescue unit. I worked for a few months for the now defunct Town of Wilmer, Alabama in west Mobile County bordering Mississippi. I worked long enough there to know I'd found my calling...law enforcement.

Like others have said, I'd definitely look into doing a ride along, if possible. I believe that law enforcement, like the military, EMS & fire & rescue is a calling, it isn't for everybody. But, if you ever get into it you'll either love it or hate it in my experience. I've seen a lot of rookies come and go more come and stay.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your new business as well as possibly becoming a Reserve LEO.

Old 05-07-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2599 Times on 1269 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Smokin,

First of all I will say, follow your heart or you will never be satisfied. I walked the same path you are on! I chased the buck by working at GM when I was out of school. And was a Reserve Deputy Sheriff in the off shifts. Patrol and County Court Security. But I was not satisfied because my heart always was pushing to go full time LE. Can't say it was easy at first and the family thought I was nuts. But I had a great total of 27 years in LE and do not regret finally listening to my heart and what I believe was my calling! I retired in 2003 and was actually making what I would have made with GM. Not only that, my benifits have not been cut as my friends who retired from GM. So I have no regrets and loved my job. Not saying it was always easy. But never regreted going to work each day. I am betting you will do the same in the near future! Follow your heart or you will never be completely satisfied.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #8

Thanks for the encouragement! now i was just wondering. is there such thing as too old to go into the field... im 25 now, and i was planing to make this happen in the next 2-3 years.. 28 isn't too old to start in the field is it?

Old 05-08-2011, 05:16 PM   #9

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Default Been there, Done that

Personal attitude goes a long way, power over others is bad thinking. To help those who need help, to be curteous and treat those who are not cop haters as you would like to be treated in word and deed. And to bring lawbreakers to the proper system be it a warning or jail.

Maintain a cool attitude and avoid personal anger when possible and don't be a "beater", unless absolutely called for...

I found other methods of making a living where I didn't have to fight every Friday & Saturday night with belligerant drunks...

And lest I forget, there's an old saying among law enforcement, "Your badge will attract loose women and loose women will cost you your badge" !

NRA Lifer Since 1968
Former USMC
Former Texas NG

Last edited by cuate; 05-08-2011 at 05:18 PM.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:05 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokinbunta View Post
Thanks for the encouragement! now i was just wondering. is there such thing as too old to go into the field... im 25 now, and i was planing to make this happen in the next 2-3 years.. 28 isn't too old to start in the field is it?
You're a young man, I've worked with a Reserve Deputy who completed the police academy at age 71! I've known and worked with several guys who went through the reserve academy in their 40's. I was 28 when I started the reserve academy and have been in LE in one form or another ever since, so no 28 is not too old to enter LE.