Taurus PT92, firing hand's thumb above safety?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Taurus PT92, firing hand's thumb above safety?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Taurus PT92, firing hand's thumb above safety?

I have found in dry fire practice that I can keep the muzzle more stable if I slide my firing hand (right hand) as far up the grip as possible, and putting my right thumb on top of the left side safety lever (next to the slide). I'd also imagine the higher grip would help control recoil a little better.

Downsides are as follows:
1) The slide serrations could abraise the inside of my firing thumb. Minimally, this would be a negative distraction. At worst, however, it could tear my thumb open and prevent successful shooting at all!

2) During recoil, as the muzzle flips upward, my thumb could press downward on the safety lever, decocking the hammer. The decocker is pretty hard to press, but I figure the greater intensity with which I'd be holding onto the gun, opposed by the rotational motion of the pistol during the recoil, could be enough to decock the gun. The bad about this is not only would my next shot be completely messed up due to the DA trigger pull, but I would have to consciously lift my finger out far enough to reset the longer stigger pull.

3) Because the tip of my thumb would actually rest on the top of the slide release lever, I would most likely lose last-round hold-open.

I'd take pics but I have to head to work now. But what do you guys think about this? Worth a try? Not a bad idea? Dangerous?

Thanks!

Last edited by Lindenwood; 10-18-2009 at 02:58 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-16-2009, 07:31 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Well for starters, you should hold that handgun the same way dry firing at targets, as you would hot shooting. Practice, more practice, muscle memory and grip habit with the same handgun will make you very proficient in drawing, sighing and firing. Both ways of practice, dry or hot, your grip should be the same.

Maybe a grip change is needed or your hand is to small for the grip? Pictures would help, but IMO I would not get in a habit of using that hand grip, because of the very downsides you mentioned in your original post, and what I have added.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 10-16-2009, 08:43 PM   #3

If I was concerned with my grip inadvertently interfering with my pistols controls I would either be looking for a new set of grips or a new pistol. I've been using my grip for too damn long to change it now, and bumping the safety when I need it the most just isn't something I want to have on my mind. I'm not going to be that guy that draws his weapon and hits the magazine release.

I confess that I have no desire to confess.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:09 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Lindenwood, 10/18/09

I have the PT-99, the adjustable sight model of the PT-92 like you have. I also use a high-thumbs grip which I initially started using when I was shooting 1911's in IPSC. When I first started shooting pistols years ago I attended a school which preferred a grip with the left thumb locked over the right thumb. This grip is advantageous in some ways in that it works with about any auto pistol. When I started IPSC shooting pretty much all the top shooters were using a high-thumbs grip with the right thumb riding the manual safety. I changed to this grip and for me, at least, it did make a difference with quicker recoil recovery for the next shot. The downside is that this grip may cause problems with some pistols. I have had two pistols with left sided, frame mounted safety-decockers (PT-99 and HK-USP compact .45) where riding the safety with my thumb did result in inadvertant decocking occasionally (about 2-3 times per hundred rounds fired). If I put my thumb under the safety my thumb would flick the safety on when firing.

So the solution? I hated to change my grip from something which worked well for me so I removed or changed the safety levers. With the HK I put on a right sided safety-decocker lever and the problem was solved. With the Taurus I simply ground off the left sided safety lever, leaving the right sided one for decocking (the Taurus had already had problems with breaking the locking block and the adjustable sight kept falling off as the roll pin walked out with firing, so I was not too concerned about appearance or resale value).

The high thumb grip works well with a number of pistols besides my 1911's, like my Berettas and SW 3rd generations as both have the safety-decocker on the slide. It also works well on CZ's and Witness pistols with the frame mounted safety. The grip works well with my Sigs and Glocks except that it is possible the slide may not lock back with the last shot as your right thumb may depress the slide lock lever (that is an acceptable trade-off for me as my present grip is both fast and accurate).

So as with everything you need to see what works for you. Good luck.

best wishes- oldandslow

Old 10-20-2009, 01:11 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hmm, thanks! Yeah I guess I will have to try it out both ways. At least it's good to know I'm not crazy and other shooters are using a similar grip!

OlPainless, it isn't a problem with the grips on the gun, it was just a question about shifting the location of my hands on the pistol, and whether the advantages could outweigh the disadvantages.