Target practice with a .357 snub nose and .380 semi-automatic - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Training & Safety > Target practice with a .357 snub nose and .380 semi-automatic

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 02:09 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

9mm is a find round with modern self-defense ammo and it probably gives you the greatest number of handguns to choose from. Look at all the well know arms makers S&W, Ruger, SIG Sauer, Colt, Springfield, Glock etc, etc and find the one that fits your hand the best. Only you'll know which one is best for you.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:21 AM   #12

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogden1984 View Post
Go get some 38 specials and shoot those to get you started. They'll be easier to handle than the 357
I also recommend starting with 38 Specials as well, it makes the snubnose easier to train with when recoil is less of a factor. As you become more confident with your revolver, you can choose to transition to 38 Special +P's before tackling the magnum rounds.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:13 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatoriNoir

I also recommend starting with 38 Specials as well, it makes the snubnose easier to train with when recoil is less of a factor. As you become more confident with your revolver, you can choose to transition to 38 Special +P's before tackling the magnum rounds.
And 38s are WAY cheaper

Old 11-01-2012, 05:20 PM   #14

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogden1984 View Post
And 38s are WAY cheaper
It really depends on how you look at it. Yes, you can buy a 38 revolver for a lot less than a dependable 9mm semi-auto. But if you shoot a lot 9mm ammo can be had a lot cheaper. So in the end the 9mm ends up being cheaper, unless you want to spend half your range time reloading.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-01-2012, 05:33 PM   #15

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Or be the odd one in the bunch and get a 9mm revolver

Charter Arms offers the Pitbull revolver chambered for the rimless 9mm cartridge, priced at $380 retail. It also does not require the use of moon clips, unlike the Taurus 905.

Never shot one, but would love to see a range report of it if you actually decide on getting it.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #16

Liked 259 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatoriNoir View Post
Or be the odd one in the bunch and get a 9mm revolver

Charter Arms offers the Pitbull revolver chambered for the rimless 9mm cartridge, priced at $380 retail. It also does not require the use of moon clips, unlike the Taurus 905.

Never shot one, but would love to see a range report of it if you actually decide on getting it.
i have the .40 pitbull and its for sale

Old 11-01-2012, 11:52 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SatoriNoir

I meant shoot 38s out of the 357 revolver she already has

Old 11-04-2012, 12:02 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1273 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

In South Carolina, to qualify for a concealed weapons permit the max distance in the shooting part is 45 feet, with other distances being 30, 21, 15, and 9 feet. But you only have to put 35 of 50 shots into a target the size of a man's chest. So really tight groups are not critical. I don't know about other states, but I would expect that the SC test is pretty typical.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #19

Liked 206 Times on 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU
In South Carolina, to qualify for a concealed weapons permit the max distance in the shooting part is 45 feet, with other distances being 30, 21, 15, and 9 feet. But you only have to put 35 of 50 shots into a target the size of a man's chest. So really tight groups are not critical. I don't know about other states, but I would expect that the SC test is pretty typical.
I not sure about here in Ky. Because it has changed since I got mine the first year it was available. I'm thinking when I did it 18 rounds, 6 rounds loaded at a time at 9 yards. Now I see on posters for the class to bring like 150 rounds. Also says autos must lock open at last round.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #20
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1989 Times on 1078 Posts
Likes Given: 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow View Post
It really depends on how you look at it. Yes, you can buy a 38 revolver for a lot less than a dependable 9mm semi-auto. But if you shoot a lot 9mm ammo can be had a lot cheaper. So in the end the 9mm ends up being cheaper, unless you want to spend half your range time reloading.
I have to disagree with part of this. You can buy a Ruger SR9c for about $400 which is in the same price range as a decent revolver and a lot less than the fancy ones. I do agree with the 9mm being one of the cheapest to shoot for practice. All good self defense rounds will cost no matter what the caliber.
A carry gun is a very personal decision. Dont get more gun than you can shoot well and quickly. Shot placement is more important than size. A hit with a 380 is better than a miss with a 357. Dont get a gun that is too big/heavy that you wont carry it. Too small a gun will be hard to shoot and unpleasant to practice with.
A loaded SR9c with a 10 round mag will weigh about 28 oz. A loaded Ruger LCR revolver will weigh about 16 oz and has one of the best out of the box triggers for a revolver.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."